Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to buy a 91 TR but read that the clutches are garbage for hard launches and wouldn’t last long, they are difficult cars in general and so on, and so on. After all my homework I decided to go with the 348 instead.

Now, my question goes out to anyone who are addicted to the same as me. Are there any racing clutches available in order to make strong launches in confidence ? Because everyone seems to talk about Ferrari having really weak clutches. So am I led to believe that companies that make replacement clutches cant cut it ?

And can anyone explain why a double plate clutch was not reliable in Ferrari’s ?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Magnum6464 said:
I wanted to buy a 91 TR but read that the clutches are garbage for hard launches and wouldn’t last long, they are difficult cars in general and so on, and so on. After all my homework I decided to go with the 348 instead.

Now, my question goes out to anyone who are addicted to the same as me. Are there any racing clutches available in order to make strong launches in confidence ? Because everyone seems to talk about Ferrari having really weak clutches. So am I led to believe that companies that make replacement clutches cant cut it ?

And can anyone explain why a double plate clutch was not reliable in Ferrari’s ?
I not sure I agree that the Ferrari clutches are weak. This certainly has not been my experience. I think they get a reputation for being weak due to being abused. It is a similar situation to the belief that 2nd gear syncros are weak on most of the older Ferraris. They aren't. They are the same as the rest, it is just that many drivers do not warm the car properly, try to jam it into 2nd gear before the box is ready for it, and grind the syncro. Net net, it is not a design issue, it is a problem with the squishy organic thing in the drivers seat.

If you are looking for a heavier racing type clutch for a 348, I would check to see what is fitted on the 348 Challenge as this might be the easiest option to retrofit.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer said:
...it is not a design issue, it is a problem with the squishy organic thing in the drivers seat.
what an AMAZING quote

thanks, Boxer

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree.... The most roblems on supercars are the result of <car abuse>!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Boxer said:
...it is not a design issue, it is a problem with the squishy organic thing in the drivers seat.
stile - alpine said:
what an AMAZING quote

thanks, Boxer
Yes, this is one of the funniest thing anyone has ever said! You have out-Barted Bart.:D

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Then I don’t understand…In the buyers guide for the TR it says “don’t do hard launches by dropping the clutch because the gearbox is not designed for that kind of abuse” And it says “I could break the transmission mainshaft or burn the clutch”. To me that says weak gearbox and transmission. I also heard the same from others about the 348...

I understand that warming the car up is a no brainer and most gaskets between the seat and steering wheel aren’t the best but to me that says start off like a granny then after 50 feet you can punch it…. Hell, that means I can smoke a TR with my Mom’s 350Z !!!!!!!!!! pretty lame in my book

Now, the clutch in the 348 challenge, would you say it’s a racing clutch ???

Bart, as far as a 550, its not in my price range yet. But I seriously doubt you drive your beast like a bat out of hell !!!!! hahaha!!!!

I always had a saying when I talk with my buddies, but never used it here yet...
When I get my Ferrari, im going to drive it like it was stolen...hahaha!!!

~

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Magnum6464 said:
Then I don’t understand…In the buyers guide for the TR it says “don’t do hard launches by dropping the clutch because the gearbox is not designed for that kind of abuse” And it says “I could break the transmission mainshaft or burn the clutch”. To me that says weak gearbox and transmission. I also heard the same from others about the 348...

Now, the clutch in the 348 challenge, would you say it’s a racing clutch ???
I stand corrected, the clutch in early TRs is known to be weak.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts