Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car wouldn't start. Fortunately it was in the garage rather than in the parking lot of WalMart or Home Depot. It would crank over but wouldn't fire, I lifted the lid and tried cranking it while I looked at the LED lights on the Crane Cams Ignition (The LEDs light up when the cylinder fires, great feature for initial timing adjustments). Well I turned the key and saw smoke.

The wire going to the rear bank coil was melted. I took an ohmmeter and verified that the coil had an internal short to ground. These were the Crane Cams PS-60 High power coils that I installed over 3 years ago. I replaced both of them with Accel universal performance coils. I wanted to change them as a set and kept the good Crane coil as a spare. Car starts and runs great now.

I don't know why it didn't blow a fuse, The rear coil is jumpered to the front coil so I guess the front coil was able to absorb enough of the juice to protect the fuse. I merely replaced the jumper with a piece of 14-gauge wire, I may add an in-line 15-amp fuse to this wire.

Let this be a wake up call to all of you that do not carry a fire extinguisher in your car! I didn't need it but I have a FireAde2000 extinguisher in my trunk.
www.fireade.com

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
At your suggestion I purchased two of those Fireaides a couple of years ago. I keep those in addition to the Halon up front.

Having experienced a number of electrical fires on past beaters I learned that the most important aspect of putting out an electrical fire is to KILL THE JUICE. As long as it's getting electricity it will continue to burn/melt/ and reburn.

I have a Flaming River main battery cut-off switch (NHRA approved) installed on my 308. It is mounted right next to the battery and operated by remote push rod. If/when I suspect an electrical fire all I have to do is kick the switch with my toe the entire car is DEAD. (Handy for security too) I can then pursue the flames with out fear of any more melting wires and possible flare up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Spasso said:
At your suggestion I purchased two of those Fireaides a couple of years ago. I keep those in addition to the Halon up front.
Good call! i keep a halon in my support vehicle and piped in Halon. i went for the typical E cut off switch but went electrical for the halon.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts