Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm just curious as to what all the Ferrari owners think about some of the sports cars. IE: Supra TT, NSX, Boxster, Skyline GTR, S2000, M3, S4, etc, etc.

I don't want a comparison to your Ferrari, I'm just curious as to what the Ferrari owns actually think of the other sports cars.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Your list of cars are all very nice (in style, quality, features) and have good to great performance.

I wouldn't buy any of them though. For the same money, I could have a number of classic sports cars (yes, other than Ferrari) that would provide a more rewarding experience.

My sports cars will always be classics and my daily drivers will always be boring, bland modern Asian sedans.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love all cars. I own an 82 308 but I also own a 1996 Impala SS, 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convt. and a 1965 Corvair Corsa turbo. I am willing to talk objectively about all cars about their strengths and weaknesses without being offended about which is faster, cheaper, country of origin, or any other area that would touch someone elses button. To me a car is a piece of machinery with a name attached to it to identify it and seperate it's mechanical differences. You will find that some people are blind to any other brand vehicle other than the one that peaks their interest and will defend their choice regardless of any evidence to the contrary. Since I repair most all makes for a living, I have learned to recognize that no one makes a perfect car and some of the cars that are not the most popular can be some ofthe best, and some of the most popular can be some of the worst. People seem to by nature flock one direction or the other whether good or bad simply by following the heard. The SUV is a good example. These are simply observations I have made with over 30 years in the Auto Repair business.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This question was not asked, but my opinion is that the 300Z Nissan is one of the best all around affordable and dependable sports cars ever made, and runs and drives like a Swiss Watch. The Corvette is my choice as the best Sports Car in the world for the price. The Ferrari 308 is one of the most beautiful and attention drawing cars ever made. Porsche has never turned me on with any of their offerings. The Boxter is the closest. Toyota makes fine powerful, dependable cars but their appearance does not appeal to me. BMWs are boring and they have never made a car that I would trade my Impala even for. Jaguar has some beautiful, fairly dependable cars now and I wouldn't mind having an XKR. Lexus is so well made and dependable that it is almost boring. Mercedes repair costs and similar appearance of all their lines makes them unappealing to me. All the other Japanese offerings are just disposable transportation to me with the exception of the Mazda Miata which is a time trip back to the 60s sports cars with the exception that the damn thing will start any time you want it to and not mark it's territory when parked.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
other cars

I too love cars and Ferrari is of course my favorite. My opinion of your list. I'm not a huge fan of BMWs, The Boxster is a Porsche for those that just want the name, the Skyline I have a lot of respect for, the Supra and NSX are very nice but I don't have a desire to own them, the S2000 is the same. In no particular order here is a list of some of my non-Ferrari favorites none of which can come close to a Ferrari.
RX-7
Shelby Cobra
Skyline GT-R
TVR
Most AMG Mercedes
911 Turbo
Aston Martin DB7 Vanquish
Lotus Super 7 (would love to have this one day)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ed,

My 1992 Miata did just what you said, but to an extreme. I considered selling it in 1997 and with 66,000 miles on it, I parked it at the end of my driveway and locked the doors. I guess I didn't really want to part with it because I never listed it or put a For Sale sign on it. It sat there for three years until one of my gardening crew left me a note that he was interested. So I changed the oil and put in a new battery. It started right up. Ran a bit rough, but ten miles on the highway took care of that. When I got home, I washed and waxed it and took a few steps back to look at the result. When the gardener came by to road test it, I told him it wasn't for sale.

Here it is today, with 94,000 miles.

Barry

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't own a Ferrari but I like the Dodge Viper GTS a whole lot for what it has to offer: Zero to sixty in 4.2 seconds, a top speed of 192 mph, and an outrageous looking body. Seems like a bargain for $76k new :D

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Every car these days are pretty good and relaible.
But i'm not a big fan of asian cars cus there just to damn boring, they do have a couple of good sportscars.
Same thing about american cars, too many things on them that i don't need, engine uses too much, cheap interiors.
I know a lot of you like corvette's, but that dashboard is just UGLY.
I preffer european cars, german cars for the comfort and place they offer, and italian cars for the beautifull design.

That Miata, that's an MX5????
isn't it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dj Dirk said:
...Same thing about american cars, too many things on them that i don't need, engine uses too much, cheap interiors...
:roll: Newer American cars with manual transmission are pretty weird: They all have CAGS (computer assisted gear selection) and this system would lock out 2nd and 3rd gears if you are in 1st gear and traveling at 15 ~ 21 mph (35% of throttle or less). CAGS forces you to shift from 1st gear to 4th gear.

I read a review on the Corvette Z6 and the test driver said you don't need to get out of 4th gear in city driving unless you come to a complete stop. That is just so weird. The purpose of getting a manual transmission car seems to be defeated in the American made manual transmissions: They work too much like an automatic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you guys had $80k USD to spend on a weekend car, which car would you get? :wink:

A used Ferrari Testarossa
A used Ferrari 328 GTB/GTS (in prestine condition)
A used Lamborghini Countach
A used Acura (Honda) NSX
A new Porsche 911
A new Porsche Boxster
A new Dodge Viper
A new Corvette Z6
A new BMW M3
A new MB CLK

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Mick said:
If you guys had $80k USD to spend on a weekend car, which car would you get? :wink:

A used Acura (Honda) NSX
A new Porsche 911
A new Porsche Boxster
A new Dodge Viper
A new Corvette Z6
A new BMW M3
A new MB CLK
Mick this would be a great topic to have as a poll. Don't be shy, give it a shot. It has to be a new post and at the bottom you will see a field for poll option and poll question. You can have up to 10 options. I'll write a tutorial on it in the feedback section if I haven't already.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Two very different driving experiences. Even if other cars match or beat the performance of a ferrari, it still doesn't have the history or craftsmanship behind the engine.

My M3 is one of the most fun 4 door cars i have ever driven, very neutral handling, great gearing, and a good torquey inline 6..

I think all german cars are a very good everyday companion to a ferrari, but definately not a replacement. I'm not much of a fan for GM cars, all of the cars share the same basic interior layout, motors are shared throughout the cars, identicle cars are produced under different subsidiaries of GM... None of the cars are very inspirational. Although, The z06 is a great bargain if you're into driving fast all the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mick said:

A used Acura (Honda) NSX
A new Porsche 911
A new Porsche Boxster
A new Dodge Viper
A new Corvette Z6
A new BMW M3
A new MB CLK
Hard choice between the 328GTS and the Testarossa, i'd have to do a test drive before i spent the weekend with either of the two :)

M3 would be a good third choice.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
1 of the Ferrari's or perhaps the M3

I've driven an old M3 once, on an excercise field with slicks on front and worn out tyres on the back :green:
Man i had fun with that car, putting it sideways thru a turn.
I LOVE RWD!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
My choice of a boring Asian car as a daily driver is simple: Its a tool. Just like a computer in your office, or a wrench in your toolbox, its there ready and waiting at your disposal. When taken care of properly, it'll provide years of trouble-free service and nothing more.

If it is exciting, stylish and/or fast, then why have a Ferrari? (and believe it, alot of those cars on the list would run rings around a typical Ferrari...).

I have my Ferrari because I love it. I have my Mitsubishi because I need to get to work (to make money, to support the Ferrari :wink: ).

P.S. If I had $80K, I'd get an immaculate 365 GTC/4.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dirk,

Yes, the Miata is a Mazda MX5. I forgot that the name "Miata" is not used in all markets. In Japan, the MX5 carries the "Roadster" badge.

Barry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everybody! Your opinions are really interesting.

I think my favorite cars ever would have to be (in no particular order):

F355
Skyline GTR Vspec II
Shelby 427 Cobra S/C

The F355 is hands down the sexiest car ever made. The GTR is the perfect combination of power, handling, and styling. The Cobra, well what can I say about Shelby's masterpeice that hasn't already been said?

Thanks again for all the feedback! :D

Jason-

·
Registered
5 Posts
what to buy for $80K?

Good question! I have a newer Ferrari (360), and an E46 M3. The next big purchace will be a vintage Ferrari:

Find another $40K for a 250 GT/L Lusso
Spend only $50K on a nice 365GT2+2 (so I can take the whole family)!
I've also always wanted a 206/246GT Dino.
$80K is about right for a 365GTB4 Berlinetta Boxer.

In today's economy (read: stock options prices are low!) it will likely be a 365GT2+2, with a Lusso in a few years when my options are worth something again...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting

Hi Jason,
very interesting question, hi to those posting the replies, very interesting replies either.

As a start, I purchased a Honda Prelude 99 (touch-shift, semi automatic) in the year 1999. And I also purchased a 355 F1 Spider (Red/sabia) in the same year. Yes, read one more time, u still read the same thing.

It took me 3 years to save and plan my financial enough to be able to afford a new ferrari, and it took me 2 years to decide whether a Honda sports car was worth my money.

In the end, I could not lie to myself. I liked the Prelude, especially its headlights (which was rather bold back then), but as one can notice there are more cars getting that sort of headlights these days. Even ferrari was still a pop-up back then.

Owning a ferrari and a Honda prelude at the same time/?

Mine is not even in the S2000 range or those in ur sort of list. I simply love the car for what it is.

just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts