Ferrari Life Forum banner

I want a Ferrari ...

5K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Maranellohouse 
#1 ·
I think all enthusiasts that ARENT ferrari owners are with me on this one ... I rrreeeeeaaaaallllllllyyyyyy want to be able to drive a ferrari everyday to work. Its definatley a dream of mine.

It really doesnt help when all of you 'owners' starts sharing tales of glory and excitement while in your 'sweet sweet beasts' <<cough - BART - cough>> :roll:

I cant wait till the 'Garage' section has a picture of my first 12 cylinder F-car. Long away Im affraid.

till then congrats to the proud owners!

#3 ·
well, I´m only 20 years old

I hope to be driving my Ferrari before I´m 40

so I have 20 years to finish college, get a job and save a lot of money :lol: :lol:

but Bart, if you want to give me your beast for a weekend, it will be a pleasure

#22 · (Edited)
Sir, you woke me up
Now I am going to work as hard as possible in 3D to become a Ferrari Designer.... I am going to spend 16 hours for 3D everyday (when I get more time) (usually 6) and then get a Transportation Mdes degree and then go to Ferrari company to design a Ferrari...Till then I have to stand on my own feet cause I'm 16 years old.
Like that I am going to really get one Ferrari by hard work there.
Thank you very much Sir!
And yes 1 more thing,
I will be back to this site once I get a Ferrari because this site is only made for the ones who own one or more.
:drive: :cool:
Thank you Very very much...
Back to working hard now...
:)

#5 ·
Owning the Ferrari Beast

Well, u must make the right choices in life to own a Ferrari or a nice Rolex. I wouldn't get married yet or have any children. I would advise getting a masters degree or doctorate degree and save up for 5 years before starting to get married and raise a family. Make sure your future wife is a career woman and makes her own money. Wallaaa you will have the Ferrari beast in your garage of your beautiful mediterranean mansion estate!!!!

#6 ·
........it doesnt help me that all my favorites are from the late 50's early 60's and are 250's or 166's.... :-? :(

#7 ·
Oh hell yeah. I can imagine, driving my "360 Challenge Stradale" through the town, going to work, flooring the pedal on the freeway..ahh..

I'm gonna be 20 this August, I'm entering university this September, I'll finish my course in 4 years. Then it's like what Bart says;

Quote:
"Work smart, work hard, work long, drive a beast."

:rolleyes:

-inv-

#12 · (Edited)
I have this little quote on my desk wall between two pictures, a 348 and me posing next to my uncles previous Testarossa, and the quote reads…

The secret to life
Is not to have
Everything you want

But to want
Everything you have

The reason I share this is because most people when they start making good money they tend to want everything now. They buy a big house and in the span of 4-6 years they buy lots of stuff like really expensive furniture, huge plasma TV’s, get a pool, get a pool table in the basement (if you guys have basements). Then they buy a boat or a bike or both, buy dirt bikes or ATV’s, then go on exotic vacations once or twice a year, run up credit cards, buy really expensive watches/purses…and then don’t want to get rid of anything because they now have this standard way of life and then say…I want a Ferrari now, but cant because they already owe 300K to 400K + in debts.

Some people say well that’s not going to happen to me. Well it does…I have a high middle class salary and so does my wife and together we make over 6 figures but we are not wealthy. I have a regular home, not high class fancy but definitely not a dump, with a regular yard no pool. I have regular furniture, I could have taken a 6K leather set for the living room but why? The non leather ones we chose are very good, I have a 32 inch regular tube TV not a 4K LCD or plasma. It’s not that I can’t afford it, it’s just I don’t feel the need to spend that much. We take vacations but don’t go on cruises or resorts and spend 5-6K. We stay home and relax, sleep in, do nothing, whatever. My wife and I see it like this…why spend 6K for pictures? Because that’s what you get for 2 weeks, one in Florida and one on a ship. And everyone wants to drive a big new luxury car and sometimes two. You rarely see a house with a BMW 7 series and a Toyota Corolla in the driveway. People have image problems and this prevents them from getting what they truly want.

So it all depends on what you want in life. I have had my house for 6 years, do I have debts…yes, but my mortgage is half paid off. Most people take 10+15 years to do that, it all depends on you and how much you get influenced by friends, family and neighbors. What I mean by that is a neighbor buys a 15 ft above ground pool, and then you see a few weeks or months later the next neighbor buys a 21 ft pool and so on. One buys a new car the other buys a new SUV etc. My wife wants a new bedroom sets, holy shit 10K for some sets we saw, they were amazing, but to us not worth the price, a 2K set will be fine (once we decide on the right one).

Since my wife doesn’t care about a big house, fancy car, luxury museum interior, or expensive jewelry or high fashion bran name clothes, I chose to be car poor not house poor. Let me explain. I pay 1K a month for my house and property taxes together (1600 square foot home and 1100 square foot heated garage seperate from our house), I bought new in 2004 a big expensive truck that will be paid in 2 years with only 29,000 miles on it, it’s still new…Now I have friends who buy used, 6-10 year old cars sometimes 2 (with 90+ miles on them) and sometimes a new regular 13K cars but have homes 2-3 times bigger than ours (3-4K square foot homes) and pay $2500 to $3500 per month. They have all the luxuries, pool tables, in ground pools, hot tub and furnishing that looks like the house of the rich and famous, they play poker every weekend for money, drink lots of beer, and some of them still get high. On top of it all they go on 2 trips a year and wonder how I can afford my truck ?!?!?! and when I speak about Ferrari’s and how I plan to go about it they look at me like a dog listening a high pitched sound…..they have no clue…It’s sad how so many people (even in the corporate world) still do drugs and waste tons of money on beer….

Well my two cents turned out to be 4 bucks…..lol

~

#24 ·
Magnum,
You have a great philosophy on life. I also had the oppurtunity to buy a ferrari many years ago, instead I decided it would be better to buy a house and get a ferrari later. The house was a better investment decision and probably always will be. I am now at the stage where material items mean less to me, however due to the work I do, I get to see how short life can be. It was time to follow a dream and buy that ferrari. The joy I get from driving it is worth the bad investment decision (when I say that, I say it relative to other investments that are increasing in value at a higher rate).
Life is too short. Follow your dreams, but you have to be sensible about it. Don't go into huge debt that will be destroy your relationships or life in the process.
Regards
Argento308

#13 ·
Magnum6464, I agree 100% with you.

It is not easy to find a woman that thinks like that (well, not easy to find other men like that either).

I was raised in a different way than most people, but I'm absolutely sure that it pays off in the end.

People just don't have any idea of what really matters in life, that's what I see...

#14 ·
Wow!!

Magnum, you are quite a good writer my friend. You also seem to be a very centered man. I respect your point of view. I'm 40 have 3 great kids and a wife, that like yours , has her priorities in tact. Yes, I have a new F430, a new house, and Im buliding a pool. I also can afford it and Im in NO debt and have not been since I was much younger. I could have afforded a new Ferrari years ago, but I waited until the time was right for me and my family. My wife and I went to the dealer together, walked out the first day, returned the next when they gave us the right deal. My point is that it's all relative but we are all given the same series of choices as human beings. It's what we do with those choices that counts. The other thing I realize with a little age is that things don't make me happy. F430's, Pools, Big Houses etc are just things. Sitting next to my 8 yr old daughter watching TV and laughing together, or going to my 15 yr old's Art Show at her school, those are priceless moments.
In the end, I like the dude I see in the mirror. I dont have to drink, get high, cheat on my wife, or hurt myself. I rip around in my Ferrari, remember not to take myself so seriously, and do for others. I'm no happier than I was in my SAAB station wagon. I just get to my destination faster with goose bumbs! To the 20 yr old kid that wants a Ferrari. You will get one eventually...I never thought I would own one but it happend to me.

#16 ·
Magnum, you are quite a good writer my friend. You also seem to be a very centered man. I respect your point of view.

Thanks, JDS…it’s nice to know when I ramble off and people reply back in a positive way so I know that I’m not going crazy……………hahaha!!!!!!

Great quote to have on your desk Magnum6464. Its a constant reminder to keep you grounded and focused. My daily is a recent upgrade to a 1996 Dodge Neon. I was driving a 1993 Taurus wagon!! But I don't care. Never give up.

I drove my basic 97 Honda Civic hatch for almost 8 years with no A/C, power nothing not even power steering, hell it didn’t even have hubcaps. I bought it new when I was in College. When I got a nice paying job, I kept it, saved money, bought a house, and then told my wife that I didn’t want to have a child with a small 2 door car with no A/C that was going to be older than 9 years old when we got a baby. I always wanted a big truck, so I treated myself to something nice. So in 2004 I bought a new Sierra 2500 SLT Crew Cab 4X4, it was 10K short of the price of the 348 that I wanted. I could have kept my Civic and bought a 348 but that was stupid. Now with my 10 month old daughter, the truck is almost paid off, and I’m not planning on changing it because I love my truck (back to my quote) I could of, dealer called me asking to look at the new model Sierra that GM came out but said no. So when my truck will be paid, it’s clear sailing from there…Could I buy a 348 now….yes, but it’s not a smart thing to do. Prices are still going down, and you never know, the TR’s might be dropping even more.

Everything has its right time, if you think things through they will happen but if you jump in blind…that’s when you get caught in too much debt and that leads to headaches. My wife has never said no to anything I wanted to buy so if I would run out and buy one just to say I’m buying one, I might make a mistake and buy someone’s else’s headaches. I would finance some of it because I don’t make the kind of salary to buy it outright but could pay about half. But the problem lies in the fact that if for example the rear end goes on the TR after 5 months….uh, well, that’s 20K to replace if it’s really in bad shape. So I would have to park the car for at least 8-9 months to be able to afford to fix it and that’s just plain stupid. I plan for everything and this is how I am. One day at a time, and one has to learn to calm down (inside) because that is sometimes the problem of how huge debt is created.

~

#15 ·
Great quote to have on your desk Magnum6464. Its a constant reminder to keep you grounded and focused. Funkyjunc, don't give up on your dream and just keep plugging away. I bought my dream car two years ago. It took me almost 15 years to get it. It sits in the garage and my daily is a recent upgrade to a 1996 Dodge Neon. I was driving a 1993 Taurus wagon!! But I don't care. Never give up.

Jim

#19 ·
:) And I ...since I remeber, always known I'll never be able to drive Ferrari, not only Ferrari (porsche, masserati or any of the Muscle car I'm just love)
Becouse Im in Poland :D We have here maybe 2 Ferrari on whole country and their drivers are the TV presenter, which have his own TV show, and the second
Ferrari owner is a politics. So we youngs in poland never aim our dreams to high.
My only dream about fast car, is repair my Corrado, If I find a JOB...my boss will paid me 400 american Dolars on Month :cool: So , maybe I'll repair my corrado ...let me think...hmmm about 2 years if I'll do my best :D

But...But!! Every day I play in this stupid TV gane called Toto Lotto . You know
You must aim 6 numbers from 50 , And If I win this sheet.... I"ll be able to rent a Ferrari for a Ride :D And this is my Only chanse.

But , who knows, Weird things happens in our live....

#23 ·
keepin' it real.

I may be new to this forum, but I am genuinely impressed with the people here. I am glad to see that people understand where the real important things in life are. I am a Ferrari fan to the end, but I have four kids and a wife and a religiion that truly have my heart. Although, there are times when I would trade my 11 year old for a used Ferrari, I don't care if it runs..... lol.. He is a great kid and he is really starting to enjoy watching racing with me and he is just a lot of fun. he is just 11... say no more. I posted some pictures of my garage and I am a true Tifosi. Have yet to get my Ferrari, but as all of you have said, to truly enjoy it it needs to be done the right way and more importantly at the right time.

#25 ·
I may be new to this forum, but I am genuinely impressed with the people here. I am glad to see that people understand where the real important things in life are. I am a Ferrari fan to the end, but I have four kids and a wife and a religiion that truly have my heart. Although, there are times when I would trade my 11 year old for a used Ferrari, I don't care if it runs..... lol.. He is a great kid and he is really starting to enjoy watching racing with me and he is just a lot of fun. he is just 11... say no more. I posted some pictures of my garage and I am a true Tifosi. Have yet to get my Ferrari, but as all of you have said, to truly enjoy it it needs to be done the right way and more importantly at the right time.
Welcome to the site, I hope you are able to chase down the dream and get your car when the time is right.

#27 ·
Yeh Borris ill second that. I'm only 18 and in my 1st year of uni (doing engineering) but after reading this thread I'm so motivated now to get out there, get life in order and start saving, so when i do hit 40ish i can buy my dream car (which at this point is a f430)
:) happy days ahead

#30 ·
F355 Spyder is what I wish for....

Nicely written to a point Magnum. And as someone else had mentioned, timing is key. "Some people have good luck, I say those people have good timing."

I also aspire to have a Ferrari, the F355 Spyder (98-99) in particular. Ever since I was a teen-ager I have fallen in love with the Testarossa, now that I am a lot older my aspirations changed. Now I long for the newer F355, yet affordable at the current used prices.
I have driven used cars since I've graduated college to save for my dream car. Now that I have a family, own a 4500 sq foot 3 car garage home, a beat up chevy s-10 for everyday commute, toyota highlander for the wife, a mercedes clk320 conv. (soon to be sold - to give me an excuse to purchase the f355 spyder), a garaged (not used - my former toy) bmw 325is, and a kaw zx-7, I believe I am ready for the F355. But talk about timing, this year may not be the time. I am willing to wait maybe another year or 2 just to get enough cash to purchase this toy (as everyone had suggested paying cash for a toy).

I find it rather amusing to see people drive fancy cars yet leave them parked in the street or un-garaged becuase they live in appartments. Some people's priorities may be construed, but I myself know mine. The house to shelter the family always comes first, education (got that covered - the kid better keep up his A average and stay in the varsity team) next, then lastly would be the pleasures in life like for example taking vacations or owning an expensive toy like th F355.

My only fear when I purchase the used F355 is that unavoidable maintenance expenses or repairs (especially on used ferrari's). Can anyone here who owns or know's anyone that owns a F355 tell me on what to expect. (dollarwise)

I believe in achieving my dream, but if this dream turns into a money pit and give headaches instead, then I may have to reconsider. Because there are always priorities on top of playthings like house upgrades, family emergencies, and unforseen expenses. I am not rich nor make a ton of money. I just am very practical and am very good at saving. Unless I win the lottery, I wouldn't hesitate on getting the F430. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.