Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions on a tall guy friendly Ferrari. I don't have a lot to spend- something like $30k. I've always wanted a 288 GTO, so I've been looking at the closest looking model, the 308 GTB. I finally found one I liked in town and went to check it out and I could not let the clutch out without my leg hitting the steering wheel! Fact is, I would be very happy with almost any Ferrari I could afford, so I come to you for suggestions. does anyone know of a car that has some leg room? I'm 6'6" (78") tall so I know it wont be easy. Then again, Shaq had his Lamborghini modified so he could drive it and he's nearly 7', maybe I should just buy the 308 and get it modified?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Any Italian car made before the mid-90ies has this issue, and the older they are the more problematic it is. I'm 6'2" with relatively long legs, and I have this problem to a lesser extent but it is still very noticeable.

Personally, I have found that spending a little time in finding a position with splayed legs gets me comfortable enough to drive the car without being constantly annoyed. I had a 1982 Alfa GTV6 which had this problem in spades (with a very heavy clutch to boot) but driving it daily didn't phase me. The 328 GTS of my brother had it a little less so, but still it was tight.

I know a guy who's (I'm guessing - he's definitely taller than I am) 6'4" or 6'5" who owns a 1977 308GT4 and he takes it on 7 - 8 hour trips through Europe. He doesn't seem to find it a problem at all.

Bottom line: for a reasonable fit you need a F355, 550, 456, or something more recent than that (my 550 fits like a glove, I don't even have the seat all the way back. You would fit in without any issue). These cars fall outside of your budget. If you want to drive a Ferrari for your kind of money, you're going to have to accept a more awkward driving position.

Regarding modification, I can't help you I'm afraid, but it seems to me it would be quite expensive. I don't think you can move the bulkhead as the engine would be in the way, so the only solutions I can think of would be a Gurney bubble or a lengthening of the chassis. Both would be prohibitively expensive, and severly compromise resale value.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Yeah, this topic has come up before and I think the concensus has been that 6' 4" is the maximum size a human can comfortably fit in a 308. Sorry Dude.

You should have started smoking when you were 13 to stunt your growth. :)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Yeah, this topic has come up before and I think the concensus has been that 6' 4" is the maximum size a human can comfortably fit in a 308. Sorry Dude.

Pete, you missed an opportunity for our new business there, the R.A.P.E Cosmentic surgery clinic, founded by Dr. Pete & Dr. Arch. You should have quoted him for our R.A.P.E leg reduction procedures as prescribed for Dmitri a few months ago. Strangely enough, he hasn't been around for a while, I hope he hasn't caught septisimia or MRSA or even Ebola - I do remember telling you at the time, it would have been sensible to sterilise your chainsaw, mind you he never complained at the time, 2 bottles of Jack Daniels is a great aneasthetic (I still think you should have shared it with Dmitri;) )

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

Just looked it up: Tom Selleck (Magnum P.I.) was 6'4", so there's proof that that length can work if you drive a GTS in nice weather. Doesn't help if you're 6'6" though.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. If Magnum can do it, i can do it. I'm currently driving an 81 corvette and it's not particularly comfortable, but i can drive it. one thing that helps a lot in the vette is the telescopic wheel, it comes out far enough to get past the real height of my knees. maybe if i just extended the wheel in a 308, it would suffice. i cant say comfort is a real big concern, but i do need to be able to let the clutch out. anybody know of a reason why i couldnt extend the wheel?

Pete- I did start smoking at about 13, so i can only assume i wouldve been like 6'9" or so. I guess i milked that one for all it was worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts