Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While this can be taken multiple ways, I'd like some advice from folks who have purchased 4 post lifts and who have had good experiences with them.

Seems to be much discussion between US and offshore makes as to material and weld qualities.

Any good advice here so that I can find one upon which I can rely? Photos? Links?

I know Chris will chime in here with comments!

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I know a little about lifts, vehicle lifts that is, not stairlifts for fogeys. Archie is the expert on that one - apparently he is having one installed with a heated seat (well that is what they told him, actually he'll just be sitting in Thora Hirds lap!).

What do you want to use it for?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Hehehe, I'll just let people answer and keep my comments to myself for a bit :laugh:

Chris

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want it for my garage that I am redoing.

The ground shakes here in California so it has to be sturdy.

I have looked at a ton of them and many seem to be the same make in different colors and names. Presumably they all come from China.

So weld and material quality are important.

I have looked at www.allamericanlift.com. It's made in the US and looks very sturdy. It's about $3,500.00 but the freight is an additional $1,200.00!

So who knows what's really what with lifts and what's really important?

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Do you want to use it just to work on the car or do you want to use for storage (1 up/1 Down)?

If you want to use it for work then there a better options than a 4-post that are less obtrusive and allow greater flexibility.

Most of the lifts that come to the UK are made in Italy, even the German ones. We have Hofmann (now owned by Snap-On) scissor lifts (recessed) and a platform Scissor (5t and recessed) that allow great flexibility when working on modern cars.

Are you totally rebuilding the garage from scratch?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Storage and to work on the car. So I really need four post. I have looked at two post lifts but feel I have more advantage with four posts.

Rebuilding the interior of the garage.

When the ground moves the lift has to be sturdy especially when my 360 is on top!

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Rebuilding the interior allows the opportunity to recess which is a great space saver especially with a 2-post. There are some fantastic new two post lifts out there that you can recess so the only parts above ground are the adjustable arms - the posts come out of the ground - very solid and ideal for working on a Ferrari as you can have easy access to the engine bay from underneath (with a 4 poster the platforms get in the way). They are being installed in all the new dealer workshops, the attached picture is from Graypaul Ferrari in Nottingham, Joe Macari's new workshop that was built around two years ago also has them. My local Toyota dealer has just been rebuilt and they have similar ones. If you look at the lifts installed at Graypaul, I think there is actually enough space to park another car underneath.

With regard to good lift manufacturers several come immediately to mind, Maha, Nussbaum, Ravioli actually that is Ravaglioli, BlitzRotary - there are loads more, if you want I can send you an index to search through! The main UK companies are Bradbury and Hofmann. All of these companies supply 4 posters and AFAIK all made in Italy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those two posters are indeed very nice.

I do have needs to lift other than a Ferrari and I need to store underneath!

The down side is that if I decide on a different house I can't take the infloor lifts with me.

So I still think I need a 4 poster.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Oh well - gotta try! :grin:

All of these companies supply 4 posters and AFAIK all made in Italy and available in the US.

Maha,
Nussbaum,
Ravaglioli,
BlitzRotary
Hofmann.

Four posters are pretty established and the technology is not digital, I guess the most important thing would be good serviceability in your area.

HTH!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like the in-floor concept but those are obviously hydraulic, require under plumbing and a high pressure pump.

I will look at what you suggested as well.

many thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Your welcome! :thumbsup:

Just FYI when we had our scissors installed they were the best available. Fully installed they were GBP 3.5k + tax each (6 years ago). All I had to deliver was a recess to the correct dimensions and a conduit to a single phase mains isolator. That was not a problem as it was a new build with a power-float concrete floor. They are electro-hydraulic with compressed air safety mechanism (everything is built into the package - drop - plug - set - play) and the best thing is they are maintenance free. We have to have an insurance inspection every 6 months? takes him 15 minutes! AFAIK (made some enquiries a little while back) the installation on the in-floor 2 poster is the same (I spoke to a company called J.A. Becker last time I was in Frankfurt checking out workshop equipment - there is an install schematic on their website for this type of lift and it shows a complete self-contained unit ('Cassette') dropped into a hole in the floor (so I guess if you want to remove it, you pull it out and fill in the hole or sell it as feature of the house!!). I suspect the only plumbing required is an electrical conduit to a mains isolator to connect a control panel

I have to say if you shop around you should get a great deal on a 4 poster (fully installed). What I have noticed is that, here in the UK anyway, price is not a good differentiator of quality. I paid less for my lifts then those that were of not so good quality, but then I think I found the right person to do the deal with as well.:smiley:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
t1fosI

Thanks for all the advice.

That is a neat lift but I can't park another vehicle under it! I need the sapce below for anotehr car.

I am finding a huge price differential in the lifts and again they all seem to be the same!

The US made ones look sturdier and are 2X's the price but maybe worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I am finding a huge price differential in the lifts and again they all seem to be the same!

The US made ones look sturdier and are 2X's the price but maybe worth it.
It is a minefield and it was quite a tough decision (hence all the research that I am now dumping on you :evil:).

Another thing that I found really useful was to visit a few shops/people that had the lifts installed that I was interested in and speak to the people who are using them daily. The reps for the companies selling the gear were more than happy to provide references. It might be worth a try, help you decide.

Another thing re the US made ones being sturdier, that may have something to do with the fact that they are catering for a market that wants to lifts SUVs/Pickups, in the main in Europe we don't have those larger trucks and most 4 posters here are rated a lifting capacity of 3-3500kg which is adequate for most vehicles.

What do you think is the heaviest vehicle you would want to lift?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts