Ferrari Life Forum banner

I need a bigger garage.....

F355 
37K views 267 replies 30 participants last post by  dave rocks 
#1 ·
#196 ·
Front bumper installed. Now I need to install wheel housings and auxiliary parts.

Howard, I'd love to tell you the front gap is perfect, and it is given what I have to work with, however the factory panels are less than wonderful. So, sure many are bad fitments but sometimes it can only get so good.

Attachments

#206 ·
Yesterday I mounted the door scoop (I was awaiting gaskets) and the sheilds and wheelhousees along with under trays. Man, I'm spoiled with the lift but did this on jack stands as I did not want to juggle cars around. I'd never want to change oil without a lift :)

Attachments

#213 ·
Thanks, Jim :) We'd be glad to do your vents :)

Bad news on the wheels - they don't look great. That photo is a low resolution photo that was further reduced when uploaded. When I saw the wheels in person, I almost fell to the floor - see attached. The base looks horrible - very textured dry finish and lot's of dust and crap in the clear.

I'm picking up wheels tomorrow and taking them to another shop for rework as this guy is not very professional. I found a new shop that looks much better.

Attachments

#215 ·
Howard,

It has nothing to do with magnesium. All the prep work was done per the magnesium requirements (Dow 7, immediate prime, etc).

This guy apparently does not know how to paint silver metallic (too dry) and his shop is very dirty and has dust everywhere. He managed to handle the dust on the body panels as he wet sanded and buffed but that's harder to do on a wheel that has fine detail.

But, Ugh none the less :)

#216 ·
Dave,

Sorry for the trouble with the wheels. Everything else looks great. Considering all the effort you've put in, your attention to detail, and the fact you lean to the purist side, have you considered putting in an oem radio instead of the alpine.

I was able to source a Becker BE4372 for my car used for around $300

Could also go with a Becker 6105

#217 ·
Hi Neil,

When I got my 98 F1 GTS, I removed the factory (Sony) and installed the same Alpine as this (one model prior) and I did it for the iPhone support. The truth is, aside from one trip, I've never listened to the radio again but, it does have a connection to my phone and I can at least charge from it.

This car had an old Pioneer radio and the bezel was silicone on. If I could have found a Sony OE Ferrari unit, I would have installed that (I'm keeping mine from the 98 for originality).

The Alpine was a reasonable choice at $250.00.

The reality is I own 5 cars and this one will soon be for sale. It's a bit of a shame as I really like this car and it's turning out well but I need to get back to the other car that is the major project and I've got the bug for a 12 cylinder car :)

#218 ·
Just for discussion purposes, I was able to send (bring) my BE4372 to Becker Autosound in NJ where they completely tested my unit and added an iPod/iPhone cable to it for $110. So, I can charge and play music on my phone. I'm not sure if there is any telephone functionality.

There also appear to be some aftermarket Bluetooth solutions that will let you use the oem radio and connect though the aux port.

#220 ·
Dave curious on how long have you been doing this? Where do you get the knowledge to tear apart an F355 and rebuild it? Do you have time to do anything else? I"m afraid to remove the batter on my f430 as I"m worried I might weld the wrench to the car :)

--thanks
-kim

#221 ·
Hi Kim,

I'm a mechanical engineer and I've been taking stuff apart as long as I can remember. The good news is that in recent years I can actually put it back together :)

I'm no expert but most stuff is just mechanical and easy to figure out. With the advise from others with more experience, I get through it.

Mistakes are part of the learning process and I'm fortunate that I've not made costly mistakes.

I highly recommend getting your hands dirty, it's very gratifying :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.