Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a ride in a 288 GTO. It belonged to my friend who has now sold it to a collector in Cape Town. It is going to be delivered in the next couple of days.

The car has just been completely restored and unfortunately it couldn't be revved too high as it is still being run in.

One of the most awesome machines I have ever laid eyes on!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Awesome!!!!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quite possibly the only Ferrari I could like more than my 348. Soooooo Sweeet. The turbos destroy the sound but the looks are second to none.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry guys, the time zones play havoc with responding timeously.

The car has just had a complete engine rebuild and therefore it couldn't be revved too high. The (outgoing) owner spooled up the turbos once and sitting in the passenger seat I heard a fantastic whoosh.

The most remarkable thing about the car (apart from its mad appearance) was that it was remarkably civilised. At idle it sounds like a less extreme version of the 355 engine note and nothing like the 308/328.

I was most surprised by the clutch action which was far lighter than my 308. It has just had a new clutch fitted though...

This was the first time I had been able to look at a GTO up close and in spending two hours with the car I noticed several details that are not apparent in pictures or scale models such as the little duct just behind the rear quarter windows.

We took several pictures of the GTO alongside the F40 albeit with my friend's camera - as soon as I get the pics I will post them.

I have now been around the track in F40 and F50 and been for a ride in a GTO. I have only sat in an Enzo though!!!

To see where the car is going, check out the website www.fmm.co.za. It is a private collection.

Regards

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Attached are two pictures of the GTO and F40. The GTO is now part of a collection that is complete with F40, F40 and Enzo alongside.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It's a shame they will be in a collection and rarely used. What a waste.:(

Can't you persuade the museum curator that you ought to test drive them once a month to ensure they don't sieze up:D

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The museum it is going to is a private collection and as far as I know the cars are used fairly regularly.

The point is right though, any one of us would use the car in the manner Enzo intended as frequently as humanly possible!!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Great Pictures! And as least they will be used regularly. You can't let a car like that sit on its haunches the rest of its life.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I assume that the question about being delivered in France is on account of the tinted foglamps? Funnily enough it took a miracle to locate a genuine pair of GTO lamps as the old ones were cracked.

The car was in South Africa until 1993 (I am not sure when it arrived but it was some time in the 1980s) and then after being sent to Belgium ahead of the 1994 elections, it was brought back into SA late last year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts