Ferrari Life Forum banner

I just did the numbers

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Alexander348 
#1 ·
I sold my 308 GTSi eight months ago and bought a one year old Subaru WRX. I did this as I my first child had just been born and I wanted to get something that could cart her around in and be a good driver's car at the same time. I bought a used example with 25,000 kms on the clock that had already lost 26% in depreciation. I naturally thought that the major whack in depreciation had been lost. I thought wrong.

In the last month or so, I have found myself bored with the car. Now, only you lot will understand me when I say that the Subaru is too reliable, handles too well, is too comfortable. In essence, it is too removed from the classic car experience that older Ferraris and Porsches bring.

I am looking at an old Porsche (1984 Carrera that has been modified to "RS" type specs), bearing in mind that a Ferrari will not work for me as a daily driver - it wouldn't be right to drive to work and let all the warehouse staff see such a young person driving a red beast. I have therefore been checking what I can expect to get for my car. I have lost at least 10% on my investment in just seven months. If I convert that to Rands (our local currency), and compare it to my running costs on the Ferrari, the Ferrari was actually cheaper to run.

I have therefore decided that I am going to stick to exotics from here on in!

Oh, and to make matters worse, my daughter has only been in the Subaru ten times since I got it!

I am gutted!

See less See more
#2 ·
Schumacher, congratulations on having a daughter,

I was crush to hear you sold you 308 GTSi and felt bad for you when you missed it ! :(

I hope decide to get another one and hope a older Porsche fills your needs again ! 8)

#4 ·
Thanks for the sentiment.

A Mondial would be great but I couldn't bring it to the office. I will definitely get another Ferrari within the next two years!!!

#5 ·
Hello Schumacher,

I was reading your post regarding bringing a Mondial to the office. I will be getting a Ferrari- most likely a 348- within a few years, and will have a second vehicle as well which I would be able to bring to work, etc. The reason I would not bring the Ferrari to work with me is because it just would not look good. Not to mention, there is the extra wear and tear that could shorten the time in which I could actually enjoy my car. So I understand your point about not bringing a Ferrari to the workplace. However, I had also considered a Mondial and a 308, and perhaps someday I would consider buying a 456, and in considering bringing any of those vehicles to the workplace I never thought of them as being too flashy or extravagant. IMO, I wouldn't see something like a Mondial as being awkward for driving to work since it is a 2+2 and is not as flashy as some of the other models. Of course, I am just going by my opinion since I don't know where you work or anything like that. I just thought I would mention my line of reasoning with regard to this issue since I had toyed with it myself before deciding on simply having two vehicles. Good luck in finding that next Ferrari.

Alexander

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.