Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, after some research and basically looking at what I like the most I decided to make my First Ferrari a 355. No sure yet if a berlineta or a GTS.
But 100% sure I'ts going to be a 355.
Regarding this subject, I live in El Paso Texas in the US, Im a mexican national. I say this because of the following matter.
My best Friend lives in Germany and has offered to search for my 355 over there and has found at least 3 cars wich my be great candidates and with resonable prices. The thing is..... Can I bring the cars over to The US? I can get my German drivers licence but can I actually bring the car into the US and drive it as If I where a tourist here?
Do any of you guys know a good car importer that would bring the car over?
Thanks
Regards
JR

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
JR,

You would need to have someone convert the car to U.S. standards. Unless you are getting a really good deal it is better to look for a car here.

I believe the limit on foreign cars in the U.S. for visitors is 6 months? But don't quote me on that. And you don't want to risk it, after that time limit you have to export the car ASAP or they will crush it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enzo250GTO said:
JR,

You would need to have someone convert the car to U.S. standards. Unless you are getting a really good deal it is better to look for a car here.

I believe the limit on foreign cars in the U.S. for visitors is 6 months? But don't quote me on that. And you don't want to risk it, after that time limit you have to export the car ASAP or they will crush it.
The Thing is that I live in the border of the US and MExico, 5 minutes apart each city by foot.
And I own a house in the mexican side too. So the IDea is to bring the car to the US as a tourist. Let 5 months pass, go in the Car to MExico Keep it in my garage there for a month then go back to the US as a tourist.
I cant bring the car into Mexico in the first place by boat because since Im Mexican... MExican authorities wont let me inn with the car. But by beeing a foreigner in the US I can drive it here and cross it over the border with no problems back and forth.
The Price they gave me is 67700 Euros.
Description is a 1997 F355 Berlinetta GTB with 20000miles.
All books and records + all services and maintaninance. Only one owner.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
That is a pretty good deal. I hope your friend was able to really look at it and make sure it is in good condition. If you could bring it in via Mexico that would make your life very easy. However, I'm guessing you could bring it via the U.S. as a tourist.

You should contact these guys first to see what rules apply to foreigners here.

www.dot.gov

Then check that driving it to Mexico and back will "re-set" your 6 month limit.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
That does sound like a good price but after you add conversion, shipping and taxes and import fees and just the hassle of the paperwork it might be better to just buy one in the US.

Do you work in Mexico and reside in the US? Where would you register the car? That would answer a lot of questions. If Mexico won't let you import the car than you can't register it there. If you are only a tourist you can't register a car in the US.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im A mexican Citizen residing in the US.
My father in the other hand is MExican and lives in the Mexican side of the border.
The idea is basicaly this:
We would buy the car in Germany and put it under my father's name. We already have German Drivers Licences so that will also help out if they need such documentation. We would then shipp the car out of Germany, have it arrive at Galveston and My dad as a MExican citizen will ask for the Tourist Permit staiting that he will drive from the US south to south Mexico and after a while return to the US to visit again and then return to Mexico. The idea is to tell US authorities that the car will not be driven by a US resident or citizen.... but by a Mexican Tourist.
Then just to cross it over to Mexico I would drive it and there would be no problem with the Mexican Authorities.
And back to the US my dad would have to drive it.

I know it sounds like allot of trouble but our real intention is to bring the car into Mexico trough the US and take it our trough the EL Paso Border.
And Skip mexican Customs.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The critical piece is the car registration, where do you intend to have the car registered ? If you buy it in Germany, the German authorities will give you transit plates that are valid for only 3 months. You will then need to reregister the car in either the US (which can only be done after it is converted to meet US DOT regulations) or Mexico. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts