Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to take the 308GTSI out today for my second drive, and when I removed the cover I saw that thefront bumper was crocked!!! The drivers side bumper is way in and the pass side bumper is full out in proper position. There is ,thank God, no other damage.
I took aquick look and saw that each side of the bumper has a small shock absorber attaching the bumper to thr frame. Can I fix this myself, and what would it take ti do to fix it.
I am pissed, but greatful that no body damage was done.

What do you think??

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Hi Frank,
That little shock absorber is the "Energy Absorber" for the bumper and the one on your driver's side has been collapsed. What I would do if I were you would be to go ahead and collapse the one on the passenger side. The car looks a heck of a lot cleaner without that ugly bumper sticking way out anyway.

Compare these:
A stock set-up: http://www.ferrarilife.com/photos/viewphoto.php?p_id=218&mode=model&modelselect=156
http://www.ferrarilife.com/photos/viewphoto.php?p_id=2421&mode=model&modelselect=98

And my car with the collapsed energy absorbers: http://www.ferrarilife.com/mylife/viewphoto.php?p_id=2898&mode=all
http://www.ferrarilife.com/photos/viewphoto.php?p_id=2900&mode=model&modelselect=99

The safest way to do this is to remove the energy absorber, drill a small hole in the bottom of the outer tube (to allow the oil to escape) and with a shop press just slowly collapse it. If you don't have a shop press a block of wood and a big hammer works just as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pete,
How would the body shop fix it? Would they pull the collapsed bumper out?? I tried to and couldn't do it.
What do you think?

I'm so pissed!!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
No, to fix it they'd have to replace the energy absorber. They'd probably want to replace both.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Pete,

I spoke to my body man today and he said that he would be able to take off the grill (under the bumper) and bang the energy absorber to it's original position. How does this sound to you?

Also, I have to take it in for some service since I think it is ideling a bit rough, but smoothes out when I give it the gas.
The speedometer quits working after a few minutes, and I can hear a slight rattle near the right front tire sometimes when I hit a bump in the road (no pun intended!)

Hey while were at it, did you ever hear a 2 valve 308 with a Tubi exhaust??
I'm starting to go crazy now.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
That definately doesn't sound like it's a Ferrari dealer.
Personally, I'd still bang the other one in. :)

Rough idle is probably just the plugs. The speedometer may be the impulse generator. Try cleaning the connections on it first. There was another thread on this here: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8017

Never heard a 2V with a Tubi, but I bet it's loud at 7,800 rpms! Remember you don't want to attract the cops now do you? :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The bumper is held on with 4 nuts. You can either take off the bumper and then remove the collapsed shock or tie a rope around the shock and pull the bumper out using a come-a-long tied to a tree. You don't need to remove the grill nor do you have to "bang" out the shock. This is a pretty simple job. There is no oil in the shock they used a foam type of material. When you compress it it will not re-expand. When you pull it out it will stay but it will not protect the car anymore.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hey Frank...I'm not a 308 expert by any means but I'd like to point out that the reason you do not have any damage to the car is because the energy absorber did it's job. I agree completely with Pete that the car looks much better with both compressed but then you lose the safety margin that apparently helped you in this case. Its your call, compress both (zero safety margin), buy a new one (full safety margin), or pull out the failed one and have a safety margin on one side. I guess you should decide how many times your taking that sweetie to Wal-Mart.

Good luck

PS...Is it possible that it was already compressed and pulled out when you bought the car? That might explain why there does not appear to be any colateral damage. Perhaps a very small touch pushed it in.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Frank, sorry to hear about the damage to your 308, it must have been a real kick in the nuts:(

As Lane said, you should consider where you park. Unfortunately, accidental bumps and scrapes happen in parking lots, but there are also a minority of people who take great pleasure in vandalising things they would never be able to own via legitimate means.

I hope that you manage to get it fixed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good advice by all here, thank you.

I had it parked in a private condo-complex garage and I found the culprit after reviewing the surveilance tape...it was the person who parked opposite me. He exited his car, checked HIS car for damage and drove away! When confronted he denied it all. I told him that it was all on tape, and to please be careful next time! I won't pay for the repair, so I let it go at that. It is a miracle that there was no body damage.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Please don't turn this forum into FerrariChat. Comments that are vengeful, spiteful, attacking, me-me-me, and screw-your-neighbor tend to be the norm over there; The main reason I spend time on this forum is because people here are civilized and don't act like that. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok
It's just that this type of thing happened to my wife's Miata. Some jerk slid his bumper up the nose of her car and split. Luckily it came out with a buffing at our favorite body shop.
People who take no responsibility for their actions are right on top of my undesirables list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please don't turn this forum into FerrariChat. Comments that are vengeful, spiteful, attacking, me-me-me, and screw-your-neighbor tend to be the norm over there; The main reason I spend time on this forum is because people here are civilized and don't act like that. :)

Boy I see what you mean. It gets pretty harsh there sometimes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts