Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I buy an Italian car for more money than most people make in a year. One would expect it to be made to last. The cheapest stuff should be quality. But NO. The cheapest crap in any car is the plastic. Well, Ferrari does not know anything about plastic and they are not interested in learning. They make the finest race cars. The interior sucks, maybe because they are Europeans, I do not know.

The problem has been known for years in Maranello. Have they done anything to fix it? No, they still use the same poor quality plastic they have been using for years. The 355 and forward have had this problem. Maybe the 512 and TR also but I do not know if this is true.

This has been a well kept secret at the dealerships. They will replace all the plastic in the interior with the same crap. Of course, it must again be replaced in a few years but so what. All Ferrari owners have money to burn.

The dealership was surprised that mine had lasted so long before it became sticky.

Crap.

I can continue to drive it but now my wife wants nothing to do with the beast until the stickiness is gone. Having been forced to retire, my income is not what I need to repair it. Rats.

I wonder if any other cars have this problem or is it only from Maranello?

:(

·
Registered
6,210 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Must say that i have to agree, with me there are a list of things that piss me of about Ferraris from melting plastics, substandard workmanship to even certain owners;)
I replaced my melty parts with carbon gear to sort out my problem. http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8686 Dont know what its like after market carbon wise for the 550s though.
There is one guy called Rob who runs the 355 registry, who refurbishes that crappy melting parts as a business. Hes a good guy with great results.
EDIT:Just noticed Granucci has replyed and posted Robs link, must have been typing at the same time as myself.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
This is not a problem of just the plastic. It's also an issue with destructive particulates in the air.

Many palstics are susceptible to decay now as are many rocks.

No too much anyone can do until the manufacturers address a different plastic.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bart, you can email me thru the sticky web site posted above by Granucci and we can discuss your options...Thanks for the kind words guys

·
Registered
260 Posts
I buy an Italian car for more money than most people make in a year. One would expect it to be made to last. The cheapest stuff should be quality. But NO. The cheapest crap in any car is the plastic. Well, Ferrari does not know anything about plastic and they are not interested in learning. They make the finest race cars. The interior sucks, maybe because they are Europeans, I do not know.

The problem has been known for years in Maranello. Have they done anything to fix it? No, they still use the same poor quality plastic they have been using for years. The 355 and forward have had this problem. Maybe the 512 and TR also but I do not know if this is true.

This has been a well kept secret at the dealerships. They will replace all the plastic in the interior with the same crap. Of course, it must again be replaced in a few years but so what. All Ferrari owners have money to burn.

The dealership was surprised that mine had lasted so long before it became sticky.

Crap.

I can continue to drive it but now my wife wants nothing to do with the beast until the stickiness is gone. Having been forced to retire, my income is not what I need to repair it. Rats.

I wonder if any other cars have this problem or is it only from Maranello?

:(

Have the same problem with my 2000 550 Maranello. Also, the dash by the drivers side on my 1988 Testarossa is buckling. The leather cover on the steering wheel by the horn is wavy.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I have over the years learned that there are compromises with everything regardless of cost. Nothing can stay perfect forever.

Cars are subject to tremendous atmosphereic and temperature changes and stress. Things happen and one should roll with the punches.

Loudspeaker foam surrounds degrade over time due to exposure to contaminants in the air. They have to be repaired.

Car parts are subject to a great deal of change and it's not always possible to know at time of manufacture what can occur. This is in fact a basis of products liability law!

So understand that the price of the car has nothing to do with the later year issues.

Robbie can help. He's the expert.

Relax. He will help you out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't get a chance to get online as much as I used to. Anyone wanting more info just email me thru the stickynomore site posted above.

·
Registered
532 Posts
dang flip your lid! lol its as easy as these guys are saying you go and buy a little bottle of that stickiness be gone stuff and maybe takesome time out of your boring day and boom your done, chill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts