Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow enthusiasts. I am a newbie, so please excuse my rudimentary questions. I am interested in a 308,328 or 348. I would like some basic guidelines on what I need to know, what I need to look for and what I need to run away from:)
The car will be used very sparingly, as is the case with most Ferraris, I assume. I always think it is best to spend as much as you possibly can to get a car in the best condition, instead of buying a car that is in boxes, but is a "fixer upper." That being said, I covet your advice. Thanks!
Sam

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Welcome to the site Sam. Here are some tips:

1. Stay away from the 348. Many 348 owners get upset when they see this but the truth is the car can give you lots of problems. The only exception is the later Spider and the GTB/GTS which were only offered in the European market.

2. Be sure to have the PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done by a Ferrari mechanic. That mechanic will find things you cannot.

3. You are right about finding a good conditioned car for these model years. Parts are on the expensive side and you'll spend more bringing the car back up to standards than you would buying a already good conditioned car.

4. The 308 and 328 are very similar cars and very different. The 328 has more power. The early carb 308s are going to be classics.

Hope this helps. Boxer is right, the Buyer's guides will help you with questions on all three models.

Regards,

Andrew

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to the site Sam. Here are some tips:

1. Stay away from the 348. Many 348 owners get upset when they see this but the truth is the car can give you lots of problems. The only exception is the later Spider and the GTB/GTS which were only offered in the European market.

2. Be sure to have the PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done by a Ferrari mechanic. That mechanic will find things you cannot.

3. You are right about finding a good conditioned car for these model years. Parts are on the expensive side and you'll spend more bringing the car back up to standards than you would buying a already good conditioned car.

4. The 308 and 328 are very similar cars and very different. The 328 has more power. The early carb 308s are going to be classics.

Hope this helps. Boxer is right, the Buyer's guides will help you with questions on all three models.

Regards,

Andrew
Once again another rediculous rant from a non 348 owner. I have owned a Mondial8, Mondialt cab, 348, 308, 328, TR and an F40. They all were not garage queens, doing everything from daily commutes to track events and hillclimbs. They were all owned long term and were mostly trouble free.

I have had the 348 for over 16 years and it has been a brilliant car. The earier cars were pretty, but unerpowered and under braked. You have to figure what you are going to use the car for. Buy the best car you can afford....remember that there is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. Do your homework and do a PPI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot for all the input. I am in the process of immersing myself in the fount of knowledge, so I am all ears. I really do prefer a 308. I think it is a good entry level car and I like it. If I know one thing about car collecting, it is to BUY A CAR YOU LIKE. I hope to learn all the "quirks" about these as I progress. For example, which year models were carbed vs. fuel injection. I do know that they were the "runts" of the series, but runts are okay!

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Thanks alot for all the input. I am in the process of immersing myself in the fount of knowledge, so I am all ears. I really do prefer a 308. I think it is a good entry level car and I like it. If I know one thing about car collecting, it is to BUY A CAR YOU LIKE. I hope to learn all the "quirks" about these as I progress. For example, which year models were carbed vs. fuel injection. I do know that they were the "runts" of the series, but runts are okay!
On the 308's, the 75-79 cars are carbed (308). 80-82 are 2 valve injected (308i), and 82-85 are 4 valve injected (308 QV). The 1st and last offer the best performance. The early injected cars were down about 15% in bhp. The most collectable of the 308's are the very early fiberglass cars produced in 75 and 76. These will command a significant premium and be priced in the same range as a late 328.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Once again another rediculous rant from a non 348 owner.
I knew this was coming. While I have never owned one, I have heard countless others who did and sold them they had so many problems with them.

Then again I have heard countless owners quickly say they are great. I guess the negative comments are stuck in my head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts