Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the other post with pictures of the rebodied TR, how hard and expenssive would this be to do. Assumptions are:

-purchase a TR that has body damage but no mechanical damage (GPB 20-25k)

- design a new body (cab forward, 3 seater, rear/engine along the lines of the 360/F40, front lines similar to the P4/Dino 246)

- new alloy body

- need to completely redo interior, steering rack, dash board, build in an access panel in the cabin for cambelt changes, etc.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
If you converted it to a 3 seater, as per your post on the other thread, how would you arrange the seating? Driver in the middle and slightly forward (as per McL F1) or on the left or right? TR's are probably wide enough for 3 seats, but would you have one seat and a bench for the 2 passengers or two separate seats?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you converted it to a 3 seater, as per your post on the other thread, how would you arrange the seating? Driver in the middle and slightly forward (as per McL F1) or on the left or right? TR's are probably wide enough for 3 seats, but would you have one seat and a bench for the 2 passengers or two separate seats?
I would definitley go with a McLaren type set up. Driver forward and in the middle. Gear shift on the right hand side of the driver. 2 passanger seats on either side and mounted slightly back.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
where does the superheterodyne-receiver unit go :D

just kidding, sounds like a fun project, as in McLaren style, but the relocation of the pedals, steering etc. well, THAT's some project.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I would definitley go with a McLaren type set up. Driver forward and in the middle. Gear shift on the right hand side of the driver. 2 passanger seats on either side and mounted slightly back.
I was liking the sound of this until you put the gear lever on the wrong side.

·
Registered
575 Posts
...how hard and expenssive would this be to do...
If you were to commission one of the more famous design houses to do the designing and construction, it'll be big bucks (thus my "...if only I were mega-rich" comment).

I vaguely remember the 575 Zagato show car's estimated total cost reported in either Auto Italia, or Octane was in the seven-figure range...

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
If you were to commission one of the more famous design houses to do the designing and construction, it'll be big bucks (thus my "...if only I were mega-rich" comment).

I vaguely remember the 575 Zagato show car's estimated total cost reported in either Auto Italia, or Octane was in the seven-figure range...
Really? I would never have guessed that as it seems like different body panels and that's it. Boxer is talking craziness with the 3 seats, it has been on his mind for a few years now. I think he should just get a McLaren and be done.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really? I would never have guessed that as it seems like different body panels and that's it. Boxer is talking craziness with the 3 seats, it has been on his mind for a few years now. I think he should just get a McLaren and be done.
McLarens are priced way out of my budget now.

The center driver seat is perfect for those of us who live on a continent with a mix of LHD & RHD countries.

While commisioning Pininfarina or Zagato to design the body is going to cost a fortune +1, there have to be much less expensive ways of doing it. The custom TR that Chaz posted looks very professionally done and I am sure was not a $1MM project.

As a reference constructing a new alloy body for a 60s era Ferrari will run in the GBP 60-100k range.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I'm not trying to stop you. If you go for it I am sure it will be one for the books. I take it you and Jimmy have been getting coffee together in the mornings.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Boxer, are you really looking into taking on this project? If so, it will be very interesting to see this take shape.:thumbsup:

Chris

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boxer, are you really looking into taking on this project? If so, it will be very interesting to see this take shape.:thumbsup:

Chris
At this point no. Maybe in a few years. Only thing I would consider this year would be to find a TR or 512TR chassis/engine to build it off of (assuming prices head south)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was liking the sound of this until you put the gear lever on the wrong side.
Gear lever position is actually a major issue with me. Being right handed and having learned to drive in a LHD country, having to shift with my left hand always feels strange. It is not smooth or natural and I find myself having to look down to make sure I am doing it right. I have no problems shifting between driving on the right or left hand side of the road, it is just changing gears that feels off.

If this was not an issue, I probably would have picked up a RHD GBP 40k 550 Maranello by now.

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is a really interesting topic.

Does anyone have any pics of rebodied TRs for reference?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I imagine the high prices charged by Zagato/Pininfarina/etc. is that they go above and beyond than simply forming new body panels.

There's a large amount of engineering involved to make sure the original chassis can maintain, or exceed the forces placed on it due to a different body shape. Not to mention, in the case of the P4/5, it spent a LONG time in the wind tunnel to refine the shape (it wouldn't look too good on PF's part if Jim was driving his P4/5 along at 100mph and then the nose would start to lift...).

You'd be amazed at how expensive it is to make proper (read: legal), one-off laminated glass windows for a car.

The whole process can take months, or extend beyond a year. And of course, time is money ;)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Gear lever position is actually a major issue with me. Being right handed and having learned to drive in a LHD country, having to shift with my left hand always feels strange. It is not smooth or natural and I find myself having to look down to make sure I am doing it right. I have no problems shifting between driving on the right or left hand side of the road, it is just changing gears that feels off.

If this was not an issue, I probably would have picked up a RHD GBP 40k 550 Maranello by now.
I always have the same problems driving a LHD car, it's not so bad when I'm in Europe but I don't like LHD's in the UK.

I'm sure everyone realises that the correct position for the wheel is on the right and the gear lever on the left, I think it is written somewhere in the Magna Carta.

Easiest way to solve this problem is to stick the wheel in the middle and put flappy paddles on it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts