Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any comments on the brand Hyper flow cat's for replacement of the ANSA OE part for a f355 ferrari.

From what I have researched, the Hyper-flow has better performance that the ANSA supplied factory replacement part.

Does anyone know if the sound will be affected, and if I were to replace one, would it be better if I replace both cats.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have any suggestions or information....

hello...where are the experts, or it may seem this is just a chat room without any technical extertise.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Replacing cats will not improve the sound. The majority of sound improvement comes from the muffler at the end and how much air flow it allows. If you really want to improve both performance and sound get a full cat-back system to allow more air flow out. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
A cat is just a pipe with restrictions and does not improve sound. Think of it as an aquarium filter, it has a few stages to filter out “the garbage”. A muffler is what creates the sound, it’s basically a shell with baffles inside and these are “tunes” to specific angles to create different air flows and sounds. I had a long thread about TC Sensors as well as a replacement for the cats. Hyper Flow is geared into having less baffles (less back pressure) and this increases flow (more flow=more power) and this increases sound coming out the back pipe. Hope this helps a little.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5419

~

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A cat is just a pipe with restrictions and does not improve sound. Think of it as an aquarium filter, it has a few stages to filter out “the garbage”. A muffler is what creates the sound, it’s basically a shell with baffles inside and these are “tunes” to specific angles to create different air flows and sounds. I had a long thread about TC Sensors as well as a replacement for the cats. Hyper Flow is geared into having less baffles (less back pressure) and this increases flow (more flow=more power) and this increases sound coming out the back pipe. Hope this helps a little.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5419

~
Thanks for the info magnum. I am looking to replace both side cats, and as a plus wanted to know if there would be an improvement of the sound. my main objective is to fix the faulty cat and at the same time getting some performance out of it.

I am still debating whether to stick to originals, but the price is a deterrent.

Any insights on this, fellas. Some info and advice would be great.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just checking -- did you get my pm about the Magnaflows? There was no change in sound, and they fit perfectly. Computer was happy with the new cats, no codes for two years (when the car was sold). -Steve

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
If you were to get the strait-pipe off Fabspeed's website you'll see lots of performance boost but you will likely not pass smog test if your state/city has it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checking -- did you get my pm about the Magnaflows? There was no change in sound, and they fit perfectly. Computer was happy with the new cats, no codes for two years (when the car was sold). -Steve
Steve - I got your PM and checked the site out. I am exercising that option, although I may be leaning to one that the performance shop here always uses for the ferrari's. It's either with the more expensive tubi or the lesser priced hyper-flow cats.

http://hyper-flow.com/355.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts