Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you guys fill your garage if you had no cars and had, say $150,000, $250,000, $500,000to spend?

I look forward to your responses!!!

Using our local pricing and availablility I would fill it as follows:

$150,000 max:

Ferrari 328 - $70,000
Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - $30,000
Subaru STi - $30,000 (daily driver)

$250,000 max:

Ferrari 328 - $70,000
Porsche 993 Carrera - $60,000
Lamborghini Countach - $80,000

$500,000 max

Ferrari 355 - $130,000
Porsche 997 GT3 - $200,000
Lamborghini Countach - $80,000
Lotus Exige - $50,000

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
With a Porsche in each of your dream garages, why bother with another car as an everyday driver?

For $500,000 I would keep what I have and add a Daytona (or instead of the Daytona, would I go for a 550 plus 996GT2?)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right - but I would need somewhere to put the baby seats!!!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Well this is theoretically what I would fill my garage if I had this kind of extra money.

$150,000
-1998 Ferrari F355 Spider (6 speed) $90,000
-2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 $30,000 *Daily Driver
-2007 Subaru Impreza STi $30,000

$250,000 65
-2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 $30,000
-2008 Nissan 350Z Nismo package $35,000 *Daily Driver
-2007 Subaru Impreza STi $30,000

$500,000
-2004 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale $185,000
-2008 Nissan 350Z Nismo package $35,000
-2007 Subaru Impreza STi $30,00
-2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 $90,000
-2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 $30,000
-2004 Porsche Boxster S $40,000 *Daily Driver

I have a wide array of interests on cars:D This took a very long time figuring out. Great thread:)

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
why put limits on fantasy?

I like the cars I have, and have a nice daily driver, so no need for a whole slew of others, although I am considering trading the 512 off on a 430, but thats real life;)

I want an F40, plain and simple, well two actually, so I can grind one to dust and not feel bad about it.:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting thread!

My thoughts:

$150,000

'06 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
F355 coupe with kreisegg exhaust
Lotus Exige S 240

$250,000
'06 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Lotus Exige S 240
'08 Z06
456 GT or 550 Maranello

$500,000
Same as above minus 456 GT/550
add a Scuderia
and a Noble N400

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
remember I live in Brazil, so prices are about double from Europe and US

$150,000

F355 Berlinetta
Yamaha YZF R1

$250,000

F355 Berlinetta
Yamaha YZF R1
Mercedes-Benz SLK

$500,000

F430

·
Registered
181 Posts
Add the bikes !

I agree with stile-alpine - a bike needs to be included in w/ the 4 wheelers and a truck.

Something like this;

150 K
Dodge Ram 250 (w/ cummins turbo diesel) 50k
348tb ( have to include it - I have yet to drive it more than 500 m ! ) 60 k
Ducati 1098 25k

512tr 150k
MV Agusta F4 35k
Dodge Ram 250 50k

328 GTS ( Black on Black ) 60 k
348 tb ( Red on Black ) 60k
360 spider ( Yellow on Black ) 150
Ducati 1098R ( full traction control ) 45k
Dodge Ram 250 50k

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'd fill my garage with a few black lights, a wet bar, a 60" Plasma, a groovy sound system, a few dance poles and cages.....ooohhh and my 348SS

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
GPGardin, why the need for a truck?

You americans and your weird taste! hehehehe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most Americans don't buy trucks just for transportation and pick-up trucks aren't designed for style or driving pleasure, they are for utility purposes and their off-road capabilities. In America, we use trucks like the English drink tea. We use them all the time for work, to haul things, to pull things, and to traverse rough terrain. There are 300 million people in this country and half of us live in rural, or even countryside type enviroments (not just some Danish rolling hills either, I'm talking deserts, montain ranges, massive canyons, and every type of terrain you could imagine) with snow and rain effecting millions of Americans. We use and abuse our trucks over here, and Land Rovers do not fit the bill for this type of usage. They cannot take the abuse and load capacity that heavy duty American trucks can withstand. America, unlike many Eorpean countries has been growing for the last 200+ years, with new buildings and structures going up every second. Trucks are used almost exclusively by construction and trade workers and contractors alike. Although people do use trucks for recreation, some off-road driving or racing, it is mostly for camping, boating, ATVing, and other powersports.

People customize them for cruising also--but I could spend all day trying to explain the hotrod and crusing culture to non-Americans, so I won't. ..and something else that I'm assuming is purely American: tailgate party--google that one, seriously, its a great thing, although I'm sure most of you outside the states will find it as another reason to be confused by American culture and laugh at how fat we are and how much we eat--lol

Just thaught I would shed a little light on the American pick-up truck, It seems so obvious to me, but I guess thats typical Amercan ignorance. Canadians, for the most part, share the same rural living and truck culture as Americans, except for maybe the cruiser/hot rod segments. I think they even do some of thier own tailgating up there, not sure though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Choice of a man born in the 80's and missing them...

$150k (even though I'm in Uk, I'll stick to Dollars)
550 Maranello - I'll keep my one
1988 911 3.2 Supersport Cabrio (in Red)

$250k
BMW X6 (yes, I know)
550 Barchetta

$500k
288 GTO
Late 80's black 500SEC in mint condition (a la gansters on Miami Vice)
SL63 AMG

Each option provides a useful cruiser, a classic and convertible. Best of all worlds. Might be slightly over budget on the last one!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Trucks and their gates....

Could not have explained the truck usage better Red Racer

I am not a truck guy at heart but appreciate their practicality that one would be in my dream garage.

Canadians, for the most part, share the same rural living and truck culture as Americans, except for maybe the cruiser/hot rod segments. I think they even do some of thier own tailgating up there, not sure though.
We do know how to tailgate up here in the great white north. Throw a few slabs of back bacon on the grill and open a cold one!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
£150K = approx £75K GBP. The funny thing is I actually had a dream garage of this value for 2 years and never really appreciated it until it was gone:(

I had my 89 ABS 328 GTS = $70K, bought a brand new fully loaded Audi A4 Cabriolet S-Line Auto = $70K and my wife had a 4 wheel drive thing for picking the kids up.

Still if I had $150K today, I would have another 328 and possibly a new shape Audi TTS Roadster (the new one with 272 BHP), my wife could keep her Renault people carrier for the kids and trips to the shops.

$250K would buy a 328 GTS, Audi Q7 and a Audi RS4 cabriolet, and a Mini Cooper for my wife.

$500K, 328 GTS or 355 GTS ?, 550M, Audi Q7 or RS6 Avant (or both) and probably a 512 BB, Mini Coper for Mrs G and a kart for my son....oh and a Smart Roadster to offset the Co2:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
£150K = approx £75K GBP. The funny thing is I actually had a dream garage of this value for 2 years and never really appreciated it until it was gone:(

I had my 89 ABS 328 GTS = $70K, bought a brand new fully loaded Audi A4 Cabriolet S-Line Auto = $70K and my wife had a 4 wheel drive thing for picking the kids up.

Still if I had $150K today, I would have another 328 and possibly a new shape Audi TTS Roadster (the new one with 272 BHP), my wife could keep her Renault people carrier for the kids and trips to the shops.

$250K would buy a 328 GTS, Audi Q7 and a Audi RS4 cabriolet, and a Mini Cooper for my wife.

$500K, 328 GTS or 355 GTS ?, 550M, Audi Q7 or RS6 Avant (or both) and probably a 512 BB, Mini Coper for Mrs G and a kart for my son....oh and a Smart Roadster to offset the Co2:D
Dear Comrade archiegibbs,

You are not alone in your asseveration, for seemingly few, if any human being is able to really appreciate anything until they are either in danger of losing it, or have lost it. Always we want more - myself included.

However, I would like a Morgan Plus 8. But, I fear that its beguiling looks may flatter to deceive and therefore over-promise to such an extent that it could only ever under-achieve, thus an acquisition could become a huge disappointment. Many say they are absolutely horrid to drive. Has anyone any experience of these wonderfully attractive motor cars?

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Comrade Vulcan F-40,

I came across this interesting website that is full of information about the Morgan Plus 8 http://www.motorbase.com/vehicle/by-id/776/index.ehtml

My brother was considering purchasing one a couple of years ago, but I don't think he looked very seriously into the pro's and con's.

Kind regards

Many thanks.

I love the look of the Morgan's and the Plus 8 sounds absolutely gorgeous. However, I do wonder whether the looks flatter to deceive. The suspension is certainly archaic with merely cart springs at the rear. The whole car is of course quintessentially anachronistic and of course this is the whole appeal.
I rather like the idea of wearing one of those World War One leather helmets similar to those that pilots wore and of course replete with an Irvin sheepskin flying jacket. Great!

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

The Plus 8 is indeed a wonderful car, perfect car for the eccentric English country gentleman. The leather helmet and flying jacket would look great with a silk scarf flapping behind your head. May I suggest you put a wire coat hanger inside the hem off the scarf to exaggerate the swept back look.
I don't really think the dated suspension would be a major issue, I believe that our US cousins still use the same set up in their current range of motor cars without too many complaints (except those from the Top Gear boys).
It isn't going to drive or handle the same as your marvellous Ferrari's, but then again it isn't pretending to be a Ferrari either.

If such a motor car is on your shopping list, I look forward to hearing your tales and viewing the images (courtesy of comrade Boxer).

Would you consider an Aero 8?

Kind regards

·
Registered
265 Posts

The Plus 8 is indeed a wonderful car, perfect car for the eccentric English country gentleman. The leather helmet and flying jacket would look great with a silk scarf flapping behind your head. May I suggest you put a wire coat hanger inside the hem off the scarf to exaggerate the swept back look.
I don't really think the dated suspension would be a major issue, I believe that our US cousins still use the same set up in their current range of motor cars without too many complaints (except those from the Top Gear boys).
It isn't going to drive or handle the same as your marvellous Ferrari's, but then again it isn't pretending to be a Ferrari either.

If such a motor car is on your shopping list, I look forward to hearing your tales and viewing the images (courtesy of comrade Boxer).

Would you consider an Aero 8?

Kind regards

An Aero 8 has no appeal for me whatsoever. And I do not think there is a likelihood of a Morgan arriving at this messuage - I am tempted to say "anytime soon" and have you noticed how this Americanism has crept into the vocabulary here of recent times? However, three or four years ago I did see a bright yellow Plus 8 advertised on the front cover of the illustrious Rolls Royce Advertiser. It was set in amongst some Rolls' and Bentley's. It looked absolutely stunning. I telephoned the proprietor of the establishment, and qualified the condition as best I could . . . . "are the chrome wire wheels at all rusty? Does it have any oil leaks? Is the interior in perfect condition? etc ad nauseam." And the questions all received a terribly positive affirmation that all was as perfect as it possibly could be. So, I took the train to London, and then a taxi ride to the premises that were located in Kensington. And the result? Rusty wheels, oil leaks, rough interior, and god knows what else. Its only saving grace was a book that accompanied it that detailed the exploits of a journalist who toured England in it. The book was entitled 'Me and My Morgan.' Needless to say I did not acquire the car. However, perhaps I should try one just to satisfy myself that they are as bad as many say that they are. Or conversely, I may just find it to be a splendid contrivance. It may conceivably be that it will transpire to become one of those "I wish I should have could have had have done" sorts of things. Heigh ho.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
271 Posts
Costs not known.

355 Berlinetta
67/68 Mustang fastback
Audi RS4
288GTO (this would eat the budget on its own though)
Porsche 911
Honda S2000
Mondial

That will more than do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts