Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestion on the best way to store my baby for the winter??

if I've been told it's a good idea to drain the oil and keep the fuel tank empty???????

·
Registered
453 Posts
I always store my ferraris every winter. And this is what i do.
1/Connect the Optimate battery conditioner (which is a necessity if you want a a fully charged Battery. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPTIMATE-4-12...14&_trkparms=72:1299|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308
2/Dont engage the hand break. This will unnesesarily stretch the cable and if the garage is drafty may cause a light rust that may cause hand break stick.
3/Add a fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-Preserva...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318 Its only a small cheap tube/bottle of liquid that you can buy from most motorbike shops. This is because if the car is left with less than a full tank, the fuel can go bad. I swear by this stuff in all my toys while laid up and it just burns away as you drive the car normally. There is nothing like trying to start a car or bike when A) The fuels gone of and B) The batteries flat. ;)
4/ Treat your leather to a nice coat of leather food to stop drying and cracking.
5/ Windows and roof up.
6/ Using a car cover is an option if your not going to see the car often. I say this because i used to use covers. But every time i went in to see the Ferrari, i ended up taking the bloody thing of to polish and tinker with it.:grin: So i sold it.
7/Try to start the car at least once a month and bring it up to working temp. This will stop engine seals from drying out and dry up any condensation that may form if your garage is drafty. Start the car and warm it up;)
Dont wory about the tyres flat spotting, as long as they have the correct pressures in they will not flat spot over winter.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Only things I do differently from Chaz are:

- leave it in neutral (my garage is flat)

- try to drive it every 4-6 weeks for at least 30 minutes. When doing so, run the a/c and all the other electricals (on the F355 this would include the pop up headlight, electric windows & roof if it is a spider) and get some heat in the brakes.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great tips chaz and andrew. For the fuel stabilizer here in the US, Stabil is pretty much what everyone uses.

I start mine every 2-3 weeks, and run in up and down the street, even at 30F weather. I spray my engine compartment with a natural lubricant I got from first finish to keep rubber hoses supple.

No need to drain oil and fuel if you start it up during the winter time, as for the battery, a tender would be great, if not, just use the cut-off switch to disconnect the battery, so just swith it back to the on position once you start it up again every 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only things I do differently from Chaz are:

- leave it in neutral (my garage is flat)

- try to drive it every 4-6 weeks for at least 30 minutes. When doing so, run the a/c and all the other electricals (on the F355 this would include the pop up headlight, electric windows & roof if it is a spider) and get some heat in the brakes.
thanks everyone for the great advice

Boxer - this means we need to arrange a run every 4-6 weeks:crowngrin:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Actually the universally best known way to store your car would be to bring it here to California!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts