Ferrari Life Forum banner

How long do brake discs and pads last

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Gcalo 
#1 ·
A 612, 30 months old, 18,000km (11,250 miles) new pads all round and new front discs. Not tracked, every day town usage, say 60/40 town/motorway driving.

How does this compare with other models.

#2 ·
Pad wear depends upon vehicle weight and frequency of usage.

So remember that a 612 is not light.

If you are in town more than freeway (which you have indicated) you'll use those pads up more and faster.

You can opt for a slightly harder pad but it may squeek a bit and wear down the rotors faster.

#3 ·
At least I now know what the 612 kerb weight of 1840 kg (4,056 lbs) was for. Keeping the brake department in business!!!!!

And it also explains the 540BHP from the 5.75litre engine as well, the more I use that, the more I need the brakes. What a perfect marketing model!!!

#6 ·
They didn't, not yet anyway, probably had another 5-8k miles. All part of the learning process, and yet againa nother blow from the local Official centre - which will not be forgotten.

Fortunately , I asked them to keep the old ones for me - which was going to be a side project.

Had confirmed 20k miles for the discs (as long as not tracking) would be very realistic, even in this heavy car - the discs themselves weigh 11kg each.

#7 ·
You need to find a good independent Ferrari mechanic. Forget the factory.

You should also contact martin@girodisc.com.

He makes fantastic 2 piece brake rotors and he supplies excellent brake pads all superior in quality, lighter, and less costly than the oem's.

Don't rely on your dealer for everything. Go to them for major warranty items. Have your independent do the items you would pay Ferrari to do. He will do a better job and he will have greater interest in your vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.