Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of detailing my car my self and after applying 3 coats of wax to the paintwork, I was wondering what to do about the engine.
Many people recommend not to use power wash, and they just use WD40 on clothes and they just wipe the engine down by hand.
Others, use some engine degrease and then hose it down with a normal garden hose.
I was just wondering if you use any other method!
Thanks in advance!

Harry

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I may be called on this one, but I'm with the degreaser and low water then rag. Yours is newer and can work that way. My older ones, have rubbery parts covering the electrical bits and that would be gremlins for sometime I suspect.

Now for the experts.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hi Harry,

When I changed my spark plugs, I took the change to clean the red covers using first white spirit on a cloth to disolve the grease stains. Then, by dipping a used tooth brush in white spirit, I brushed all the corners which are difficult to access with a cloth. I finished with WD40 to get back a deep red colour. This worked very well at least on this part of the engine as well as on the engine block itself.

For the plastic parts like the intake, I use Plitz which is usually used for wood furniture ;)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I use Simple Green and a very soft nylon brush, like an oversized tooth-brush, to scrub everything except the electrical wires. I rinse everything off with water on very low pressure, trying not to directly hit the electrical connectors. Dry everything as best I can with an old towel. Then I wax the painted bits and Armor All the rubber bits.

Viola, my engine compartment looks brand new.

Probably the best tip I can give is not to let it get too dirty. It makes it easier to clean and precludes the use of harsh cleaners and scrubbing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 for the Simple Green. Try it diluted a little. I also use a small portable steam cleaner that is very good at getting the crud off areas like the TR exhaust support springs.

Pay particular attention to things like the heat shield and air intake (if you've got a TR) as these scratch very easily. I recommend a relatively good microfiber cloth to wipe these areas down.

I prefer the to use Formula 303 to dress rubber and cables etc.

Absolutely no high pressure water.

:harry

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks to all, Granucci, Stef, David and Harry!
It will keep me busy over the weekend.
They expect snow over here and the car is locked up in the garage with the heater on!
I will do some shopping on my way back home for some cleaning products and
I will take some pictures and show you the results!

Many thanks again!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, it wasn't too bad!

Taken advantage of the snow, so I stayed in all day!
I have detailed the engine and changed the grills to the 16M version.

I couldn't believe the difference in weight compared to the standard version!!!
Great for lowering the centre of gravity of the car.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Wow, that' a very clean engine bay! Well done Harry :) The new air vents look great on the spider :) and you'll enjoy them also in summer with hotter temperatures.

Such weather is ideal to work on the car, no temptation to go for a drive with such very cold weather ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tio,

Nice job! I find that I do a little more incremental cleaning every now and again. It's never ending but keeps me out of trouble :thumbsup:

:harry

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely!

The bad weather is forecast to stay for a couple of weeks, so I have started detailing it.
Will go for clay preparation a base wax and then 2 more coats of Meguires carnauba wax.

Will post some more pictures when its nice and clean.

You are right Stef, it is very therapeutic working on the car!:happy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts