Ferrari Life Forum banner
581 - 584 of 584 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone! Hope you're all having a great day! My wife and I are about to start our search and are looking at either the Roma or Portofino as our first (of many!!!) for a somewhat daily driver/ special weekend car in the Seattle area and would love any suggestions in terms of what to get/ not to get, where to look to learn as a newbie, etc. etc. as we are ABSOLUTELY new to the Ferrari World! Super excited, even if our purchase is 1-1.5 years out, but the wait will be well worth it!

· Banned
7 Posts
I was at a lunch today and an older gentleman who knew I was a bit of a petrolhead ask me how I ended up getting into Ferraris. Took me a few minutes of pondering before I could give him an answer. The short of it is it started with a conversation I had with my father years ago when he was considering buying either a 308 or a Testarossa after sitting next to a senior Ferrari executive on a flight from Milan to NY. The guy from Ferrari really had gotten him interested and he was a tough sell, so I figured that must really be something behind these cars. For some reason that conversation always stuck in my head. Step two was ownership of a couple of Alfas followed by BMWs followed by Porsches. Then I drove a F355 and it was simply just that much more exciting than anything I could remember driving up until that point. So I bought it.

Others?
hi i am the new one and i like this car and its specially its logo

· Registered
10 Posts
I was at a lunch today and an older gentleman who knew I was a bit of a petrolhead ask me how I ended up getting into Ferraris. Took me a few minutes of pondering before I could give him an answer. The short of it is it started with a conversation I had with my father years ago when he was considering buying either a 308 or a Testarossa after sitting next to a senior Ferrari executive on a flight from Milan to NY. The guy from Ferrari really had gotten him interested and he was a tough sell, so I figured that must really be something behind these cars. For some reason that conversation always stuck in my head. Step two was ownership of a couple of Alfas followed by BMWs followed by Porsches. Then I drove a F355 and it was simply just that much more exciting than anything I could remember driving up until that point. So I bought it.

Others?
I'm the only one in my family who ever had any interest in cars at all, a first generation car enthusiast. I had always been a fan of Ferraris in general as a child, just like any other exotic. But it wasn't until I was 17 years old (1987) when I saw a Dino 308 GT4 in the wild. Where I grew up, it was pretty rare to see anything not made in America or Japan. Even BMW and Mercedes weren't that common. So seeing that car blew my mind. Of course, I didn't know what it was as the GT4 (unbeknownst to me at the time) wasn't a popular car back then. The internet didn't exist so I couldn't just go home and Google "wedge shaped Ferrari" and find out that way. I only knew it was a Ferrari because I saw the horse on the back by the license plate. It was about five or six years later that I discovered it was a Dino 308 GT4 by pure chance—I saw a photo of it in a Ferrari book I was looking at in a book store.

But why did the 308 GT4 turn me into such a Ferrari enthusiast? To be honest, Lamborghini had a big hand in that. Like most car enthusiast kids of the 1980s, I had at least one poster of a Lamborghini Countach on my wall. To me, nothing really said "exotic" like a wedge shaped car—normal cars weren't shaped anything like that. I consider the Countach a gateway drug to other wedge shaped cars, that's how I discovered cars like the Maserati Merek, Bora, Lotus Esprit, Lancia Stratos, etc., and even other Lamborghinis like the Urraco. Being a Ferrari fan, I was admittedly upset they didn't have a "cool wedge car" in their catalog. But then I saw that 308 GT4 and everything changed.

Today, I own a 1975 Dino 308 GT4 in Verde Pino Metallizzato over Beige, and it's everything I expected it to be, and everything I wanted it to be.

581 - 584 of 584 Posts