Ferrari Life Forum banner
561 - 573 of 573 Posts

·
Administrator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
He still does - nothing is too much trouble. My Dino is going in for some TLC from Harvey next week.

Mark Tregenna is on the sales side - he took us out to Modena to collect our Maserati from the factory.
Harvey is terrific. Took great care of all of our cars.

Never met Mark Tregenna but sounds like they are continuing to go the extra yard.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Harvey is terrific. Took great care of all of our cars.

Never met Mark Tregenna but sounds like they are continuing to go the extra yard.
Yes, Harvey is a great asset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at a lunch today and an older gentleman who knew I was a bit of a petrolhead ask me how I ended up getting into Ferraris. Took me a few minutes of pondering before I could give him an answer. The short of it is it started with a conversation I had with my father years ago when he was considering buying either a 308 or a Testarossa after sitting next to a senior Ferrari executive on a flight from Milan to NY. The guy from Ferrari really had gotten him interested and he was a tough sell, so I figured that must really be something behind these cars. For some reason that conversation always stuck in my head. Step two was ownership of a couple of Alfas followed by BMWs followed by Porsches. Then I drove a F355 and it was simply just that much more exciting than anything I could remember driving up until that point. So I bought it.

Others?
In my case I was 30 years old and wanted a BB512 after seeing the MotorTrend (I recall) article. Saw one at Daytona 24 hour race for sale by Preston Henn and got the telex number off the rear window sticker for the French importer Charles Pozzi. After making inquiry I bought a red/black and two weeks later after the dollar continued making the next one cheaper, bought a black/tan and the rest is history--bought and sold maybe 50. Most I sold sight unseen, bought many more from Jacques Swaters at Garage Francorchamps in Brussels who became a close friend, from whom I received a 288GTO and bought 250 GTO #4757 as a partner. Great times. Just bought a 599 after 30 years of no Maranello cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also bought the two BBLM Spangler cars #65 (Ex-Daytona/Sebring) and #70 1983 Le Mans, plus BBLM #44,013 new from Swaters. Should have kept them all.....

·
Administrator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 ·
In my case I was 30 years old and wanted a BB512 after seeing the MotorTrend (I recall) article. Saw one at Daytona 24 hour race for sale by Preston Henn and got the telex number off the rear window sticker for the French importer Charles Pozzi. After making inquiry I bought a red/black and two weeks later after the dollar continued making the next one cheaper, bought a black/tan and the rest is history--bought and sold maybe 50. Most I sold sight unseen, bought many more from Jacques Swaters at Garage Francorchamps in Brussels who became a close friend, from whom I received a 288GTO and bought 250 GTO #4757 as a partner. Great times. Just bought a 599 after 30 years of no Maranello cars.
Really interesting. I wonder if you owned my old 512BB SN 33625 at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I pretty much have always been attracted to Ferraris. I had a bunch of Ferrari toy cars that I used to play with when I was younger. My love for them has never stopped and luckily I get to work with Ferraris every day at Ferrari of San Diego! Ferrari of San Diego

·
Registered
29 Posts
My fascination started when my Dad bought a 1988 Ferrari Testarossa and then as grow old I realize that I want to save money so that I can buy my dream car in the future . Fast forward to 2018 I got myself a used 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia. Lately, I have been busy modifying this luxury car since I cannot go out that much due to the on-going pandemic. This car keeps me productive as I do some polishing, tire mounting, and installation of car accessories that I bought online.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My fascination started when my Dad bought a 1988 Ferrari Testarossa and then as grow old I realize that I want to save money so that I can buy my dream car in the future. Fast forward to 2018 I got myself a used 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In 1961 our only exposure to F1 was via car magazines, like Sports Cars Illustrated. I saw photos of Phil Hill's 1961 "shark nose" F1 car, and the 1961 250 TR which also had the shark nose but not so extreme. I fantasized about that 250 TR and decided that I wanted a Ferrari.

Fast forward to 2005 when I was covering the ALMS series as a credentialed photo-journalist. Risi Competizione was campaigning two F430s. I spent as much time as possible in their paddock and hot pit. I had no Idea Giuseppe Risi speaks English better than I do so I asked him, in my best poor Italian, if he would allow me to photograph the car while it was disassembled. He replied with a wry smile, "certamente", and showed me interesting places on the car (the Rosso #62). Most teams do not like you photographing internals. He invited me to sit in the car and was totally gracious. I think addressing him as "commendatore" amused him.

The 430 had very similar shark grills as did the car that stuck in my memory, the 1961 250 TR. I determined at that point that one day, no matter the sacrifice, I would buy a 430.

I had to retire, and literally loot my retirement account, but in May 2020 I was able to acquire a relatively pristine 430 in, you guessed it, Rosso Corsa with Tan leather Daytona power seats. It's an F1, which I lusted after since Ferrari started using them on their F1 cars in the '90s.

This was, literally, a dream come true. I could not be happier.

Ray

Reactions: treynor

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was on one of my first concert tours in 1980 and we flew into Milan. In those days you got off the plane right on the tarmac. Directly in front of me at the bottom of the steps was a red Dino 246 GT. That was it, I was hooked. I walked up to the car, the driver was in it, what this car was doing on the tarmac, I'll never know. I smiled at him at said "Ferrari!" He said "No No,.... Dino!" He spoke no English and I spoke no Italian but we connected over this beautiful car. It was the first Ferrari I got to really look at up close. I never looked at my XKE roadster the same way again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
In 1984ish, my brother invited me to go with him to the grand opening of Ferrari South in Jackson, Ms.
Fast forward to 1987, I am working at a race engine machine shop and the Ferrari tech brings in an all aluminum big block chevy from a McLaren M8F. I performed the needed machine work and was laid off due to race track closures. They offered me a job and the rest is history.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Had always admired and drew pictures of sports cars growing up but I started out humble and slow with a Prelude Si in my 30's, a Cayman S in my 40's, and currently a Lotus Evora 400 in my 50's.
I've always appreciated cars of the 70's - 90's as well. Ferrari is the pinnacle but I've never driven or even ridden in one. I now plan to add a 308 GT4 next to my Lotus daily driver.

561 - 573 of 573 Posts