Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any historical significance of Blu Pozzi as a colour?

It seems to be very rare (and hard to reproduce in images shown on computer monitors!) but I was Googling the other day and found this very nice set but here it looks almost black...

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-550M-115178

I've seen what I think was a F360 Challenge Stradale on the road here in Switzerland a couple of years back in what I beleive may have been this colour, but it was gone in a flash.

Is it a metallic finish?

If it's a solid colour, would it be clearcoated these days?

P.S. It looks even darker than Onno's Nacht Blau...

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Pozzi blue was created in honor of the French Ferrari importer, Pozzi.

It was one of Ferrari's ways to thank people for their work and dedication.

It's a beautiful non-metallic color.

Yes it is clear coated.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
P.S. It looks even darker than Onno's Nacht Blau...
It isn't, though. It's a very similar colour, a little lighter, but non-metallic. Absolutely beautiful - my favourite Ferrari colour for Maranellos.

Indeed named in honour of Charles Pozzi, the Parisien Ferrari importer. I do not know how the name and the colour got to be related. Pozzi had racing teams and he used to race in a dark blue, but that was much lighter than the Pozzi Blu we know today. A similar "naming after importers" happened with Swatters Blu which is named after Belgian importer Jacques Swatters. Thinking about it, I wonder why Ronnie Hoare didn't get recognised with a colour, or Luigi Chinetti for that matter - both of them much more well known than the Belgian and French importers (though I don't want to belittle their efforts).

Here are a couple of Pozzi blu cars.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Yes, Onno, that is the only color I will accept for the 550 as I believe it to be a great combo....when ya' want to toss that ol' car away, remember my PM address :)

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Indeed named in honour of Charles Pozzi, the Parisien Ferrari importer. I do not know how the name and the colour got to be related. Pozzi had racing teams and he used to race in a dark blue, but that was much lighter than the Pozzi Blu we know today.

I think it has something to do with International Racing Colours. Blue was associated with France, Green with the UK (hence British Racing Green, Verde Silverstone etc) White (and later Silver) with Germany (Grands Prix White on Porsches) and Red with Italy (Rosso Corsa etc). From what I understand the car could be painted the colour of the Teams country of origin or the Drivers country of origin (or a mixture of the two).

Here is a link that is quite interesting -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_auto_racing_colors

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Pozzi is a fabulous color often mistaken for black unless in direct sunlight.

Was one of my favorite choices before I found the Azzuro California.

I had looked at buying a 1999 355 spider that was done in Pozzi and believed to be the only Pozzi 355 in the US. I still believe it is. It had a tan interior but a tan dash and tan steering wheel. Too much tan for me, but it was a beautiful car.

Had looked at a few Pozzi 360's as well.

Living in Calif with so much sun I felt a metallic might do better and that's why I went with Azzuro.

Love the pozzi though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Boring at first

It isn't, though. It's a very similar colour, a little lighter, but non-metallic. Absolutely beautiful - my favourite Ferrari colour for Maranellos.

Indeed named in honour of Charles Pozzi, the Parisien Ferrari importer. I do not know how the name and the colour got to be related. Pozzi had racing teams and he used to race in a dark blue, but that was much lighter than the Pozzi Blu we know today. A similar "naming after importers" happened with Swatters Blu which is named after Belgian importer Jacques Swatters. Thinking about it, I wonder why Ronnie Hoare didn't get recognised with a colour, or Luigi Chinetti for that matter - both of them much more well known than the Belgian and French importers (though I don't want to belittle their efforts).

Here are a couple of Pozzi blu cars.

Onno
Onno remember what i said about the 550 when i first join this forum that GT's are kind of boring, well thanks to you the more i look at it the more i like, is nice man!

Cheers
D

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I think it has something to do with International Racing Colours.
Perhaps for Pozzi, as I already mentioned, but the Belgian racing colour was yellow, so it doesn't explain Swatters Blu. And again, French racing blue is much, much lighter (think of the Bugattis). I seem to remember a 512BBLM that was raced by Pozzi which was darker blue, but still not related to the Pozzi Blu we know today. [EDIT: found a small pic of it]

And as Boxer points out, there is also a N.A.R.T. Blu which IMHO is not related to the white with blue stripe of the N.A.R.T. Anyway, I would not be surprised if this is all lost in the mists of time.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Speaking of NART...can someone inform me as to the NART vents I see on the hoods and sides of many cars?

What is the significance of those vents, especially in terms of size and design. Is it to make a standard, like an airfoil, that must be compliant for all NART racers?

rik

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Speaking of NART...can someone inform me as to the NART vents I see on the hoods and sides of many cars?

What is the significance of those vents, especially in terms of size and design. Is it to make a standard, like an airfoil, that must be compliant for all NART racers?

rik
The NART style of vents were originally designed by Luigi Chinetti's North American Racing Team. Hence the name NART Vent.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
The NART style of vents were originally designed by Luigi Chinetti's North American Racing Team. Hence the name NART Vent.

and that's it? No other significance than his personal design?

thought the vent design was a necessary evil of the series, like F1 designs.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts