Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Use electrical connection "enhancor" Stabilant-22

Testarossa electronics are sensitive to corrosion, oxidation, and any other malady that can diminish connections. It's always a good idea to periodically disconnect/reconnect the numerous connections in the engine bay, to keep contact surfaces fresh. The product Stabilant-22 can help improve things a bit. Simply use a Q-Tip or similar applicator to put a small daub of the stuff at each connector, and then replug things back together.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Inspect Fuel Pump and Cooling Fan connections!

As many know the electrical "mother board" on the Testarossa is prone to over-heating in the Fuel Pumps and Cooling Fans circuits. It's a good idea to periodically inspect these circuits for burned connections. The mother board is located in the trunk, behind the vertical panel at the rear of the compartment. Pop open the access door, and unplug the long white connector strips at the bottom of the board. Look for burned or "brown" connectors.

The connections are made by a sort of a "pincers" and "blade" combination. If everything looks okay, be sure that the "pincers" are squeezed together sufficiently for a good connection to the "blade". If the "pincers" have a gap, carefully bend them shut gain.

The factory method of making these connections is inadequate for the current draw of the fuel pumps and cooling fans. If the "pincers" become opened up slightly, then there may be arcing. As the arcing continues, heat builds up, as heat builds up, the pincers open more, which leads to more arcing, which leads to more heat.....and it snowballs from there. The next thing you know....your car is stumbling, idling erratically, or your cooling fans are not coming on at the appropriate time.

My TR started occasionally running erratically...and burned connections was the problem. I bypassed the mother board (but still used the relays of course) for these circuits and used good, solid male/female connectors. Never had any problems since.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I too am running the Dave Helms modified circuit board.
All of the high amp circuits are stand alone with their own dedicated power supply and fuses.
No more heat, no more melted terminals and delaminated circuit boards.

I am currently finishing up on the Gold Connector kit installation he designed to alleviate the weak corroded connectors throughout the engine bay, all of which are crucial to a good running car. Testing soon.

His Nomex fuel hose is pretty nice too. Easy to install and impervious to the ethanol in today's fuel.

http://www.scuderiarampanteinnovations.com/solutions.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts