Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cleaning the mass air flow sensors always makes my F355 run great. In my experience, the car needs absolutely pristine sensors for good performance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Cleaning the mass air flow sensors always makes my F355 run great. In my experience, the car needs absolutely pristine sensors for good performance.
Well that was a very general sweeping thing to say if you dont mind me saying, that many could take literally and get out the "Gunk" cleaner and wire brush.:dizzy: There may be many now who will think that its a good idea to strip down the Air flow meter (one in the 5.2 and two of them in the 2.7s). Maybe you should be quite clear as to what you mean.
The problem with this is that the air flow meter its self is just an air tube with whats called a hot wire which is as thin as a hair. This wire is a very fragile thing that sits in the middle of the air flow that passes through the tube. It measures the air flow velocity and relays it back to the cars ECU for diagnosis.
The only thing that protects the wire from breaking is the two densely packed wire gauze at each end of the tube.
The only other part of the airflow unit that can be cleaned is the electrical connector that is attached under the unit and relays the signals back to the ECU for diagnosis. so a drop of electrical enhancer can be wiped onto the connector for a better connection. But this is not really the Air Flow sensor as such.
My advice to anyone who now wants to strip the Airflow unit is to leave it be.....leave it:furious2:.
By all means wipe the dust of the gauze but don't take them of because the hot wire can be easily damaged by the slightest pressure, yes it can guys so leave it be:fryingpan:.
And it you are not listening to my advice and go ahead anyways then do not use any strong cleaning agents on your cotton bud, because it WILL end in tears:hissyfit:........in fact LEAVE IT ALONE.....:argue:

·
Registered
183 Posts
One of the things I have done which has really helped ..... was to clean all connectors and apply electrical 'anti-corrosion' lube on every connector in the engine compartment :) ....... it actually stabilized my idle and have been random 'code free' ever since!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts