Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I'll start off first ...

Here's a newly developed ignition system (high tech, laser lights, etc.) for Dino to upgrade and make starting a natural, if anyone is interested. My local vintage Ferrari dealer friend developed this recently for his customers. The shop also has an A/C system custom fitted for Dino based on reliable Japanese unit sytem. I just thought some gearheads out there might be interested in these. If anyone's interested, let me know. w/ smiles Jimmy

Attachments

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Doc, can you explain some of this, like laser lights ??

rik

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Sorry, Granucci. I am not a gearhead nor an expert. However, the brief encounter and explanation was that the unit is all solid state and high tech. Next time around when I visit the shop, I'll ask for more infos, hopefully then I can give you a better answer. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
great: my tech is limited too.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
That's a very clever setup.

I would guess the laser is a replacement for the ignition points. The Dino's used two sets of Magnetti Marelli ignition points and they were tricky to set and adjust. They opposed each other in the distributor. I know because I had a Dino and I used to use a flashlight battery and a flashlght bulb set-up on both sets to adjust them simultaneously.

So I think he's now replacing those with a laser.

Smart deal and probably well worth doing especially since these units are placed away from the engine heat.

Give your friend a gold star.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Thanx for the tech info, Gcalo. That sounds like the brief explanation I heard. Thanx again for clearing it up. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The one thing that car lacked was reliable ignition and it looks like your friend nailed it.

I have always felt that coils should be away from the engine heat and your friend proved my point.

Maybe you should post his contact info. That's a very valuable resource.

Have you put this setup in your car?

·
Registered
892 Posts
That's a very clever setup.

I would guess the laser is a replacement for the ignition points. The Dino's used two sets of Magnetti Marelli ignition points and they were tricky to set and adjust. They opposed each other in the distributor. I know because I had a Dino and I used to use a flashlight battery and a flashlght bulb set-up on both sets to adjust them simultaneously.

So I think he's now replacing those with a laser.

Smart deal and probably well worth doing especially since these units are placed away from the engine heat.

Give your friend a gold star.

Exactly. The laser or solid state options serve to indicate spark ignition rather than send current over electrical contacts.
While I do not know the exact manufacturer of the system Jimmy-san has elegantly divulged, here is an explanation of a similar one.
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts