Ferrari Life Forum banner

hi!

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Filmjay 
#1 ·
Hello. I've made my first post recounting some of the already well known history of the 250 GTO.

Now...before I go any further, I do not own a Ferrari...yet. But am building a replica of a 250 GTO.
Now before anyone goes nuts on me, I understand how Ferrari guys feel about replicas...I generally feel the same way.
I will finish out this replica within the next 3 years or so and will be moving into the 308 or 328 I've always wanted. That's the plan anyway.

But, I decided to build a 250 GTO replica because...well...its a 250 GTO. the most sought after and desirable sports car on the planet. But yes, it IS most certainly a replica and I hold no punches in stating that fact.

Again, before anyone goes ballistic, let me say that I've worked for a big name TV hot rod builder(who shall remain nameless, draw your own conclusions) for a few years and know nearly everything it takes to make a car "right".

As such...my replica is based on an early 240Z and will be of fiberglass and aluminum. BUT, let me relate to you that the good Ferrari name is in good hands.

The chassis has been sectioned and extended 3.7 inches to exactly mirror the wheelbase of the original 94.4 inches and allow the engine to sit behind the steering rack for proper weight distribution...just like the real thing. The body has also been reworked to correctly reflect the proper spoiler and chin dimensions.
The rear hatch has been smoothed and a trunk/period correct 35 gallon fuel cell will be installed..just like the original. The hood (bonnet) has been reworked to correct dimensions. All vents, as well as the often omitted radiator access, has been correctly modeled

The spoiler has been modified to the correct angle, the steering converted to RHD, genuine Nardi wheel, Borrani spokes, genuine gauges, hood hold downs and leather straps, custom fabricated dash, etc.....
I am basing my project on s/n 4491...though not in its' original British Green color...a Ferrari just isn't a Ferrari unless it's red...even a "Faux-rrari".

I've spent over a year furiously researching this project before the first bolt turned.
The only thing that will not be correct will be the drivetrain. It will be a Chevrolet V8...but even that will be entirely hand built and use an inline Weber carbeurator setup on a custom intake manifold with the closest matching bore, stroke, and cylinder volume to the closest vintage Ferrari V8 specs I can find. I have acquired a 4.0L engine...though still, it's not a V12. It is a V8.

In short, the only way to tell it is a replica is if I were to open the hood...and even then, only to someone who REALLY knows what they're looking at.

As I said before, I plan on obtaining a 308 in the future. They are affordable and are MUCH fun to drive. Plus what's better than owning a classic Ferrari? But for about the same money, I could have a vintage Ferrari V12.
I do realize I could easily buy a 308 for what I'm doing this GTO replica for, maybe 2...but it's a GTO...you can't buy a REAL GTO for this kind of price.
Plus, if I figure correctly, I will come out of my build with a show quality car and in the neighborhood of 500-600 hp....though I still have no qualms about admitting its' replica status. Imitation is afterall, the greatest form of flattery.

I'm doing this because I want something cool, that I will not be afraid to drive everyday, and to hold true to the original spirit of Enzo....hold true to MY vision with no compromises whatsoever.

....and if a few of those smarty Corvette guys happen to be staring at the tail lights of what they think is an "antique Ferrari"...all the better in my opinion.

Hope you guys don't think too lowly of me...but I'm hand building my dream, albeit from the dreams of others. But, building your OWN dream is what doing it yourself is all about.

I cringe for replies...:anon:

See less See more
#2 ·
At Donington this year at a Ferrari owners club trackday. There was a 250 GTO that was a bit suspect. Numbers were covered up and certain things were just not right with the car. It was 50-50 in thinking that it was a replica or not.So lets say that it was a replica then it was fully endorsed by the FOC. Mind you it did run a genuine Ferrari V12.
Saying that there are a good few 57 TRs that have been replicated using donor cars like the 330s. Though hated by the classic Ferrari guys because an old Ferrari was used to replicate one. I see there points though.
Personally i have no problem with the classic rare Ferraris being replicated as long as is a bloody good representation of the original car.
I do however have a problem with the 355 and 360 replicas though.....hate em.

#4 · (Edited)
Why so pensive...We don't flame folks for loving the marque. Lets see some shots of your effort to date, sounds interesting.

Night - didn't you have a buddy with a black replica of a GTO? What happened with that. Sheesh, now I have to go searching. That thing was sweet.

Edit : OK...I found it.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7680

Filmjay...Is yours like that?

#5 ·
Well, thanks for the replies! I was a bit apprehensive because before I even joined, I searched through some of the older threads and saw much disdain for replicas.

That black GTO is a beautiful car. Mine will be of similar quality as far as I can tell from pictures, but I am trying to make the body work as true as I can possibly get it.
I do take some reservations about some of the lack of detail, but it is still beautiful and rather well done nonetheless.
No model of the original had a tilt-nose. That one also excludes the often omitted radiator access I mentioned earlier. But that would have to be hand fabricated as well as the intake ports underneath the front opening....which nearly 99% of GTO replicas overlook. But 99% of people that have never seen the real thing overlook that as well. Only reason I know is that I've found copies of original blueprints and see them detailed there.
Also, the rear aero ducts aren't functional. But, I've seen many REAL Ferrari's that were the same way. (288 GTO for instance.)
And lastly, the side vents are more vertical on the original.
But then again, I'm being SUPER picky only because I'm building one myself....although I'm nowhere NEAR a state as fine as that one.

The absolute best way to tell a replica from the real thing is the B-columns and window supports. A Z-based replica will have a straight edge while the original is more slanted back and curved...which that minute detail alone would probably take about 100 hours of fabrication for both sides. Which is why it's seldom, if ever, done. I've never seen it done, and I'd like to say I've seen some of the best GTO replicas out there. And of the details I listed above, I've only seen two that had any number of them.

I haven't picked up the car yet, but hope to have it home before Christmas. (It's in Canada and I'm in Tennessee.) But the body has already been extended, and much fabrication has been done....but still needs to be done as well.
Though I do have the ad photos from when I recently bought the car...
The guy had two for sale. The unfinished one I got and a finished one that had been rear-ended...and is actually titled in Canada as a Ferrar 250 GTO. I'd love to have got them both, but having a rash of bad luck on my daily driver...and a..uh...really zealous ex-wife wouldn't allow it. If anyone is interested, it's still up for sale. Send me a PM with email and I'll forward it to him. Perhaps we can work out a split deal for transport.

Here's some pics of it as it sits right now....I hope to have the body done by next summer and have it in a running state by this time next year...and finished in about two. But knowing how these things can go, I am planning on 3. :grin:

Attachments

#6 ·
Most of the disdain are for the horrible replicas where someone takes a Pontiac Fiero and tries to pawn it off as an F40. Re bodied replicas aren't as bad as you are using a Ferrari chassis, but then again a lot will get upset because the original should have been left the model it was.

Hell I'd take a replica Cobra. Best of luck on the 250 GTO project.

#8 ·
Ciao and Welcome

Good luck the black GTO is my good friends car, he did an incredible job and let me tell ya that thing gives my Ferrari a run for it's money. He had to modify a few parts himself like a larger bump on the hood to accommodate the larger engine.

#9 · (Edited)
I have to agree about the shoddy quality of the Fiero-based replicas. I've seen a lot of them, and of all of them I've seen only one or two that were of a decent quality. But they still never look "right".

Good luck the black GTO is my good friends car, he did an incredible job and let me tell ya that thing gives my Ferrari a run for it's money. He had to modify a few parts himself like a larger bump on the hood to accommodate the larger engine.
His is, from the pics I can see, quite well done. I only mentioned those in that they are original to the 250 and are almost always left out.
I do like the taller "bump" in the hood. I'm having a custom low-rise Weber intake made because I can and have the ability to do so through contacts. Otherwise, I'd probably be in the same boat.

IF it's okay, once I get really into the project, I may just post a progress thread so that folks can see the extent of the effort and love that actually goes into a project like this. :)

...and thanks again for the warm welcome!

#11 ·
I don't know. I plan on making this one for my son...and for me to enjoy until he graduates college. haha.
It sounds like a really fun and cool business idea to me but Ferrari REALLY cracked down on the designer of the GTO replica bodies a few years back. Which, he still makes them, but only on a per-order basis. I've talked with him and he's a really nice guy. He just wanted to pay homage to the greatest of sports cars...as his bread and butter are early Porsche replicas (356 Speedster, 550 Spyder, 718 RSK, and 904.)
So I don't know how a replica business would go over with the good gentlemen and ladies at Maranello. If I DID decide to try and make a business of it, you would have to have all badging installed on your own. I can get them easily, and distribute them, but selling them installed on a vehicle not from Maranello would be a no no.

Everyone has their price.:happy2: ...but at least wait 'til it's at least to a more completed state before making offers. :p I'm budgeting for a 3 year buildup. Hopefully less...but I know how machinists are. A quoted one week can usually be equated to 3. haha. And with the amount of machining that will be put in...well...that's why I'm hoping for 2 years but budgeted for 3. lol! It IS a primarily fiberglass body, so it would need to cure for a minimum of two months for a good, true paint adhesion with the least risk of cracking.

Plus, I DO work...for now. I work in film/television and do graphic design on the side..as well as take care of my mother who has cancer....that's why it's going to take so long.:crazy:

If the admins here are okay with it, I'll post a build progress thread when I get into really ripping into it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.