Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been lurking around in the background for about a year, just reading about people's experiences. I'm a complete newbie, and have only sat in a Ferrari once. The most amazing driving experience I've had was a week with a Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet, and the engine sound was just amazing. But, I don't hear nearly as many people talking about Porsche engine sounds as Ferrari engine sounds. I would very much like to see what it is like. I've been to Porsche, Mercedes, BMW dealerships, and it was all very easy to get a test drive. In fact, the hardest places to get test drives were at Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan (ironic).

I currently own a BMW 540i sport and, currently, it suits me just fine. I haven't had the nerve, though, to step into a Ferrari dealership and ask for a test drive. For one, these cars are usually in the quarter million dollar range, and I don't know what process is required to get "approved." Do they need to check a bank statement or what? Every dealership I've been to simply asks for a copy of my driver's license. I'm not necessarily going to buy a Ferrari within a few days of test driving one, either, so I don't think the dealership would take too kindly to the idea of someone walking in, just to see what it is like. In all honesty, though, if Ferrari really is as good as people tell me, I'll definitely end up getting one.

How should I pursue this? Just walk in?

*edit* Ah, another question. I have a friend who wants to get a Ferrari F430. I know a lot about the cars, but, obviously, not the buying process. So, my question is: what do you have to do to get on a waiting list to get a new one? I called Ferrari/Maserati of Scottsdale and they weren't very forward with any information about this. Only, that it would be a long wait.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hate to sound pushy or anything by double-posting, but does anyone have any answers to my questions?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I've been lurking around in the background for about a year, just reading about people's experiences. I'm a complete newbie, and have only sat in a Ferrari once.
A year in the background?!?!?! What a shame…all those cool conversations you missed participating in, all the possible answers you could of gotten from asking all kinds of cool questions and all the wasted time you lost…we could of gotten to know you better.

I haven't had the nerve, though, to step into a Ferrari dealership and ask for a test drive.
They won’t give you one unless you’re ready to buy one. Even then it’s hard unless you give them a deposit.

For one, these cars are usually in the quarter million dollar range, and I don't know what process is required to get "approved."
Easy, it’s called a credit check…they will tell you if you can afford it or not, or…if you’re loaded, you can pay cash…(certified check, transfer…etc)

I don't think the dealership would take too kindly to the idea of someone walking in, just to see what it is like.
You got that right…

In all honesty, though, is Ferrari really is as good as people tell me?
Better…but it’s not a BMW 540. Your entering a whole new different car world here…it’s like dating the girl next door, then suddenly dating Charlize Theron.

How should I pursue this? Just walk in?
Sure, if your ready to buy that day and have access to a deposit.

What do you have to do to get on a waiting list to get a new one?
Buy it (sign the papers and give a 20-30% deposit (depending on the dealer)

I called Ferrari/Maserati of Scottsdale and they weren't very forward with any information about this. Only, that it would be a long wait.
It’s because you didn’t say the magic words….”I want to buy an F430 today” You still would be on a waiting list but at least had one being built for you.

~

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I don't agree that they won't let you test drive without putting down a deposit. This is true for the F430 and new cars since there is a line to buy one but is not the case for a used Ferrari.

Even if you want an F430 you should call the dealer, ask for the sales person and then set an appointment to come in and get behind the wheel. I always think this is a better approach than just walking in. This way you are expected and it shows you are serious and smart enough to not just jump on the Ferrari bandwagon because people say they are great cars.

Ferrari doesn't have problems selling cars like GM does SUVs but they still have competition and should respect a first time buyer wanting to be sure Ferrari is for them and not a Lamborghini or Aston Martin etc. If the dealer in Scotts Dale is giving you the cold shoulder return the favor and spend your money at another dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I don't agree that they won't let you test drive without putting down a deposit. This is true for the F430 and new cars since there is a line to buy one but is not the case for a used Ferrari.

If the dealer in Scotts Dale is giving you the old shoulder return the favor and spend your money at another dealer.
I disagree Andrew; I was told “not by an official Ferrari Dealer” but a dealer that sells exotics here in Canada that a test drive is not an option unless you’re ready to buy today. And this was for a used 91 348TS, I told the salesman, what if I don’t like the car, the way it handles, seating position, condition of that specific model? He said to me we keep your deposit until you find something you like. So basically, if I test drive they keep my money and I have to buy from them. I had a 30K certified cheque from my bank and I certainly wasn’t going to just give it to them because I wanted a test drive. He didn’t care, said it was their policy.

So I got pissed off decided not to buy one that year and wait for nicer 348 models to pop up. So I spent that and another 30K on renovations on my house. I wasn’t willing to sit and wait at home for something I liked and have them hold my money while saying well we will be receiving one that’s kind of what your looking for, but not want you want exactly and so on for months or a year….

~

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
that's just stupid!! I love Ferraris, admire them since I can remember, but there's no way I would accept that kind of treatment

it is still a car, and I'm still a costumer, and as far as I know, Ferrari needs people to buy their cars so that the company survives

Mario, if what happened to you ever happens to me, I would seriously reconsider ever buying a Ferrari

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'd just go to another dealer. They aren't like that in the UK and I can't imagine that many other F dealers are like that. I'd been going to dealers for years before I bought mine, even main dealers like GrayPaul were fantastic, gave me a tour of the workshop and showroom, the salesman spent 2 hours with me the first time I went there and he knew full well I couldn't afford a car at that point. However, I remembered their hospitality and went back to look at 355's when I could afford one, and was given VIP treatment again.
The dealer I eventually bought the 328 from (Nick Cartwright) was just as good, in fact better if that's possible, and I'm very happy to recommend either of them to anyone in the UK:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delayed reply, but thank you very much for the responses! It seems that there is indeed a game going on, depending on what dealer you choose. Unfortunately, there's been a serious lack in customer reviews of their Ferrari buying experience. I'm just about to read your thread, magnum, and thanks for the in-depth reply!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts