Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellas,
Hoping for some advice with the following for my 308:

1) My car is red/black with an off-white headliner which I hate! I wish it were all black. I am wondering if I can dye the headliner black....have any of you done it and what did you use as dye?

2) My engine has a cloudy film on it (aluminum oxidation?) and I can't seem to get a shine on it. If I scrub with a wire brush it looks great, but I am wondering if there is a better way. I don't think that the brush will reach all spaces anyway. What do you spray on the engine afterwards to make it shine and protect it?

Pete, by the way, I replaced the impulse gererator as per your directions and it worked out great with no problems...it was easy. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Frank - that cloudy appearance is "oxidation". A wire brush will remove it but it will just come back again and you will have irreversably scatched the bejesus out of your parts. I recommend finding an aluminum polish. that should do the trick. I have no name brands to mention but any good hardware store should be able to you find one.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Frank,

I was wondering if you ever found something to clean and polish your engine. Did it work? I want to do the same thing. Aluminum polish sounds logical...did you try that?

Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aluminum

I have used aluminum polish before, any name brand will work. After the aluminum is polished you will have to use a high temp clear coat paint to keep it from oxidizing again. The best way is to have the valve covers powder coated.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Duplicolor makes a higher temp clearcoat spray that might work well on those engine parts after you have polised them.

I know this is used to cover decals after being replaced on brake calipers.

Take a look at this.

As far as dying your headliner, you might want to speak with a quality upholsterer in your area. Maybe it's cheaper and more permanent to replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts