Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second post on this site. You all have been more then helpful. I have taken all the advise that everyone has given and will continue to do so. I have done some research and have found conflicting information. Some people say that a early 308s are more likely to have problems then the later 328s. However, the next review will say just the opposite. It seems to me that the early 308s would be less exspensive to work on and I may be able to do some of the work myself. Unlike the fuel injected 328s. I am not a mechanic however I am a quick study and this type of stuff is just my thing. Also I have found a huge difference in price, some 308s in the High 20s others in the High 30s. Mileage about the same. Cant seem to understand why. Any advise? Hope to soon help others insted of asking for it. Thanks.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
The 308 prices will vary a lot right now depending on the year. For example:

Early fibreglass models will be highest - 1975

308 QV's will be next as they have more power and the newer (later) engine -'82 - '85

The 308 GTB/GTS is also very desirable as it has a carb engine so it makes a nice sound and you can tweak the fuel richness yourself '75 - '79(?)

The 308 GTBi/GTSi will be the lowest priced as they were first with the fuel injection but not 4 valves/cylinder and have the least power of all the 308s '79-'82

Generally the GTS will also be more as people like the open air experience of the 308 and taking the top of is very easy.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel injected 308s, they are still an easy car to work on even with them.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I really would not worry to much about the differences in potential problem areas between the early 308s and 328. They are about the same. It is only the 308 GTBi (2 valve fuel injected) models that you really need to be careful on as a significant percentage had oil consumption problems.

In terms of choice, a carb 308 is a very different total ownership experience than a late 328. Basically raw vs refined. Drive them both and see which you prefer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts