Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1999 456M GTA thaat has run very well. I looked back at the extensive service records and see the bugaboo value guides has not been done. The car does throw out some white smoke almost always on a cold restart but sometimes when warm also. Have had no oil leakage so I have determined that I need to have the valve guides replaced. My question is what would be an approximate cost to do so with either a Ferrari dealer or trained Ferrari mechanic working as an independant?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The White "Smoke" you see is not oil smoke, it is steam from moisture condensation inside your exhaust system from the air that migrates inside after shutting down, the 456M should have the tougher sintered steel valve guides that the earlier 456 non M did not have, to verify that you really need a valve job you or your workshop mechanic should perform a leak down test. Generally less than 10% leakage is considered good with approximately 4-8% being normal ring blow by, good luck
Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a 1999 456M GTA thaat has run very well. I looked back at the extensive service records and see the bugaboo value guides has not been done. The car does throw out some white smoke almost always on a cold restart but sometimes when warm also. Have had no oil leakage so I have determined that I need to have the valve guides replaced. My question is what would be an approximate cost to do so with either a Ferrari dealer or trained Ferrari mechanic working as an independant?
White vapor is from cold exhaust. Blue vapor is Oil smoke. Don't sweat it. Keep the money in your pocket jo1270

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The M series did not suffer the valve guide problems of the earlier 456 GT models. You should have nothing to fear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts