Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a major Ferrari newbie. I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 456M GTA tomorrow from a Ferrari dealership. It's grey with burgundy interior with 6k miles. The same dealer that's selling it now sold it to the current buyer when it was new and can provide full service history. The dealership also installed a super upgraded sound system. I haven't actually seen the service history but the dealer assures me there's nothing wrong with the car and it looks in mint condition. The kicker is the price: $128k. Seems like a great deal, doesn't it?

I stumbled upon this car by accident. I don't know anything about Ferraris ... I've always been a Porsche chick ;) Please help with any advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Have you done a VIN check a Carfax? You should, cause it will tell you if there is anything wrong with the car. Ask for the maintainance records, look in there to see if there were any problems they couldn't get rid of.

I'm not a technical person so I can't help that much, the only other thing I can think of is to look when the major on the engine has to be done, cause that one is usually very expensive.

Last but NOT least, if you buy this car because it is cheap, don't do it. I you buy such a car, you will have to be prepared to get some bills. And Ferrari-bills it will be, if you know what I mean. Make sure you have the money to maintain it, otherwise it will become a nightmare instead of a very, very good dream.

Now I hope somebody else jumps in with better advice, because this is all I have

BTW welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I know nothing of any prices, so maybe the dealer says this is a good price, I don't know, it's always good to take a look around

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you looking to buy in the U.S.? This price seems pretty much to be market value these days for a 456M. Dealers will probably be able to show you service records and so on. Ask to see them, and make sure the 3,000 and 6,000 mile services were done when they were supposed to be.

If this is in Europe, then the price is probably a bit high, and Carfax of course won't work.

MOST dealers are trustworthy, aside from some horror stories I've heard about dealers in Florida, and if you ask them about accident history they will tell you. Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
that's a very reasonable price for a 2001 version, especially with a low mileage, i'm assuming this is in the US?
you are in luck that the car is still with the original dealership and that the car is serviced there so that they have proof of everything, if they tell you that it's accident free then it will be.
Have you already taken her for a testdrive?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts