Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is quite annoying : at very small speed, when I stop or park, my Boxer's front brake whistle like hell !

I was told that it is the same on Daytona's and other Classic cars because the brake pads do not have asbestos any more !

So I was wondering if other Boxer owner's or Daytona's owner's could confirm that their brake also whistle when stopping and maybe some owner's have found the solution or a brand of brake pads that solved that problem ?

Thenks in advance :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
It is quite annoying : at very small speed, when I stop or park, my Boxer's front brake whistle like hell !

I was told that it is the same on Daytona's and other Classic cars because the brake pads do not have asbestos any more !

So I was wondering if other Boxer owner's or Daytona's owner's could confirm that their brake also whistle when stopping and maybe some owner's have found the solution or a brand of brake pads that solved that problem ?

Well, I don't know about Boxers or Daytonas, but the brakes on my '86 328 produce a bit of squeeking as well. It's not annoyingly loud and they function fine, yet there is an audible whistling, esp. when the car is 'cold' and at low speed. I could be wrong, but I don't think this is something to be overly worried about though.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts

The brakes on my Daytona do not whistle and I don't remember it doing so on the BBs. I use the standard Ferrari supplied pads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I can see the disk are new... would you know the brand of the pads that you have ? Or at witch garage they were done ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
My message I just wrote seems to have disappeared in my computer without being sent so I'll try again.

I am no expert on brakes but this is what I have humbly observed:

I have the same problem on my RR Corniche and Ferrari/Bentley in Lugano have suggested that Brembo might still do tailor made high performance pads for any car. That might be worth a try (alongside with trying other recommended pads). F/Lugano is checking out the Brembo possibility for me now but their general recommendation is to live with the car as is (I respectfully disagree of course).

Disharmonious vibrations can be tricky to discipline.

I would first again go through the whole brake system from master cylinder to calipers to check that everything is absolutely flawless and within the correct mechanical tolerances and that all parts in the system are tightly fastened to their respective fastening points.

If the discs are slightly warped do not polish them. Polishing will only copy the warped profile. They must be rectified in a lathe to eliminate the warping. Needless to say though, you must check with Ferrari what the minimum thickness tolerances are for your particular discs before going wild on the lathe.

Have you tried installing racing steel mesh brake lines? They are not susceptible to pressure expansion. If there is a slight imperfection somewhere in the brake system causing a vibration pulse, a standard expansion-flexing brake line might intensify the vibration and cause the uncomfortale squeaking?... As you know, a fluid is non-compressible and will transfer any movement or vibration just like a solid steel rod.

My last recommendation which I suggest be your first step to narrow in on the problem:

Go out on the motorway and bring the car up to substantially high speed and pull the brakes to the maximum limit before tyre slippage. Do this a couple of more times but it is important to gain good speed for a while between the maximized brakings to let the brakes cool down in between each beating.

This will rip off any eventual glossy glasslike surface on the pads and discs which can be caused by continuous gentle cruising retardation as opposed to real hard braking. Please first consult with Ferrari brake experts as I so far only have heard about this problem on carbon-ceramic brakes which are designed for very heavy duty and thus more susceptible to suffer from slow, light braking.

I wish you good luck with solving your brake nuisance and I would be very grateful to hear from you if you find a remedy that might work for my old Roller as well.

Best regards,
il Capolino

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks il Capolino for this long answer, it is a good idea to try some heavy braking and see if it does resolve the problem. Next I will go to a classic ferrari garage...

Thanks again and best regards

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
On my Daytona no braking noise at all !

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Perhaps me

but can you better describe the noise.

Such noise IMO is certainly at speed, not low speed but high as it has a harmonic caused by air rushing about 'something'.

so,
1. at what speeds
2. at what conditions, going up in speed to which speeds, or on way down too?
3. can your passenger hear one on their side? OR is it only on one side. Might not be brakes but a hanging piece of structure per wheel.
4. happening only on fronts, as those are the typical ones a driver can only hear.
5. Loud, light, constant?
6. I had a problem on front side that sounded like a bearing , but turned out to be a adj. strut motor: Never would have figured that one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The noise is "at very low speed" i.e. when I stop et red light or park so below 5 mph...
It's like if I was driving an old school bus... The noise is a "whistle"

At normal to high speed I have no noise !

Regards

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
The noise is "at very low speed" i.e. when I stop et red light or park so below 5 mph...
It's like if I was driving an old school bus... The noise is a "whistle"

At normal to high speed I have no noise !

Regards
My uneducated guess is the brake caliper settings, possibly "rubbing" against the disc ? w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
83 Posts

Could it be the pads are just worn and are getting close to metal on metal rubbing? Do boxer pads have a soft metal tell tale in the compound that starts making noise when the pads are almost worn through?

Otherwise brakes can get noisy if it hasn't rained for a while - dust seems to accentuate the noises of the brakes. Might be worth taking each wheel off and hosing or blowing as much dust off as you can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks I think I have my answer

As Il Capolino suggested I just tried some heavy braking and the noise reduced considerably after at low speed, so I believe the problem came from dust on the pads.

To kk61 : I never drive my Boxer when it rains so I guess that did accentuate the accumulation of dust on the brakes.

Thanks to all of you who help me with this issue...
If ever you pass by Paris, give me a hint :)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
As Il Capolino suggested I just tried some heavy braking and the noise reduced considerably after at low speed, so I believe the problem came from dust on the pads.

To kk61 : I never drive my Boxer when it rains so I guess that did accentuate the accumulation of dust on the brakes.

Thanks to all of you who help me with this issue...
If ever you pass by Paris, give me a hint :)
I am very happy you sorted your brakes. However, I could be mistaken but I'm not totally certain that dust accumulates on a brake disc/pad as it would get wiped off at the first slightest braking. Even if you would hypothetically refuse to use your brakes, I doubt the dust would still remain at +130km/h speeds.

I am still of the opinion that soft prolonged city- and cruising braking creates a glasslike surface which needs to be occasionally eliminated by real Ferrari-style active use of the brakes. Nevertheless, disharmonious vibration sounds can have unexpected and surprising origins. I therefore respectfully take note of all the other FL-member's inputs on this issue.

Best regards to you all,
il Capolino

1 - 20 of 28 Posts