Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love all of the F cars... but I need a daily driver (not a race car) for instance I like the 612 because it looks less like a race car than many others.. same with 550... production cars... ... but I am not familiar with the "fleet"

Here is the million dollar question....

How old of a car would I have to settle for to spend 125 to $150k ......(US)

What models behave most like street cars......

I like the "wolf in sheep's cloths" aspect of some Ferrari models...

thanks for any pointer you guys may be able to offer......

·
Registered
223 Posts
hi and welcome.

You like ferrari's in sheep cloths are there any;)

The new modern types wich will fit that discription will be a 612, 599 (don't know the price in the US), f430 is a daily runner, maybe the new 2+2 v8 little ferrari but that one will come in 2009

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
The 360 seems to fit your needs quite well. I'm no expert, I don't even own one. But, the early 360 modenas are definitely within that price range, and to my knowledge of actual owners and this forum the 360 does not have any issues. I would ask Boxer because he has a 360. There are several 360 owners on this site. But if your going the other route such as the 550, I know virtually nothing about and have never personally spoken to anyone with that car. Again, there are several owner of those cars on here too.

You will get much help on this site, welcome to the forum and good luck with the search for your Ferrari!!!:D

Chris

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Based on your needs and price range I'd say a 550 or 575 would fit you perfectly. The 360 would also be a great choice. Once quick question I have: How far is your daily commute? How many miles/day do you expect to put on it.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I love all of the F cars... but I need a daily driver (not a race car) for instance I like the 612 because it looks less like a race car than many others.. same with 550... production cars... ... but I am not familiar with the "fleet"

Here is the million dollar question....

How old of a car would I have to settle for to spend 125 to $150k ......(US)

What models behave most like street cars......

I like the "wolf in sheep's cloths" aspect of some Ferrari models...

thanks for any pointer you guys may be able to offer......
IMHO, your best option would be a 2001/2002 360 Modena fitted with a manual 6 speed gearbox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not really a commute...

i am a self employed developer / investor.. more like tooling around town and short day trips..... probably 10k miles per year however...

thanks men...

jd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
550 vs 575 ???

what is the difference between these cars...

also.. are all of them manual shifts....

do they all have a clutch...

is there any such think as a "paddle shift" without foot clutch ??

thx again

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
575 is an updated version of the 550. In most ways an improvement, and in others it was a slight step back, although this is also down to your own preferences. In summary, the differences are thus:

1. Slight change in the design of the nose. I like the 550 better.
2. Change in headlight configuration. Again I like the 550's better.
3. Xenon headlights. Clear improvement.
4. Increase in engine capacity (5.75L) and power (515 bhp). That's always an improvement!
5. Available with F1 transmission. Most of them were sold with this upgrade. It is indeed, as you state, a paddle shift without foot clutch.
6. Softer suspension than the 550 when it came out. This was improved with the Fiorano Handling Pack which is definitely recommendable.
7. Upgraded interior. Overall an improvement.

The best 575 is the 575HGTC which was the last before the 575 SuperAmerica. These are still quite pricey though.

I think the 550/575 is a little more 'under cover' than Boxer's suggestion of a 360, and it is a little more practical with the boot as well. Other than that, the 360 is also a very reliable daily driver.

You do need to realise, though, that 'stealth' in a Ferrari doesn't really exist. You still get tons of attention when going to the shops in a 550...

Check out the Buyers' Guides on this website!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JazzyO

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such a complete explanation of the 550 vs 575.... this may be the car for me....

The car is beautiful... but as you say there is no way to be "stealthy or discreet" with a Ferrari.... This is kind of what I like about the 612, although I understand that the in crowd / purists don't think much of the 612.... I think the 612 is exactly what it is supposed to be, a gran tourer... and exactly what it is not trying to be... ..... a race car... (just my opinion of course)

Boxer thank you as well..... I think the 360 is very cool but not for me.. (feel like I should be wearing a helmet to go out for the newspaper..ha)

I saw some cars on ebay and seems that a five year old 575 can be had for 130k to 150k... ish

do all 575's have the "no clutch peddle F1" trans ? I like that !!

thanks again guys...

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 550 meets your budget and low profile image. It drives great and I have mistaken the for Camaros on more than one occasion.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such a complete explanation of the 550 vs 575.... this may be the car for me....

The car is beautiful... but as you say there is no way to be "stealthy or discreet" with a Ferrari.... This is kind of what I like about the 612, although I understand that the in crowd / purists don't think much of the 612.... I think the 612 is exactly what it is supposed to be, a gran tourer... and exactly what it is not trying to be... ..... a race car... (just my opinion of course)

Boxer thank you as well..... I think the 360 is very cool but not for me.. (feel like I should be wearing a helmet to go out for the newspaper..ha)

do all 575's have the "no clutch peddle F1" trans ? I like that !!

thanks again guys...
The majority of the 575's were ordered with the F1 transmission but it is possible to find one with a 6 speed manual box.

If you plan on using it as a daily driver in an area with heavy traffic, IMHO you are better off with the 6 speed manual box. The F1 does not like to crawl along in stop/start conditions.

On the 612, in my view opinions are a bit muddled. The majority think it is a magnificant piece of engineering and a great drive. Where it gets a bit more divided is on the design. Some realy like it, other don't. Personally I did not the 1st time I saw it but it has grown on me over time.

While the 550/575 is a wonderfully elegant discreet GT, as a DD, the running costs will be quite a bit more than on a 8 cylinder Ferrari.

·
Registered
9 Posts
10k a year mileage in a 550 or any ferrari is quite heavy and may mean serious depreciation - normal mileage in a 550 seems to be about 3k year and doing that kind of mileage may mean depreciation free motoring if you pay $100k ish for a good low mileage car.

My 550 costs about $2 per mile to run excluding petrol which seems about par for the course. If you google EVO magazine the owner ran a 550 as a longterm car and did fairly big mileage in it that should give you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for - all in all the 550/575 is a truly great car but nothing in life is free....

·
Registered
104 Posts
10k a year mileage in a 550 or any ferrari is quite heavy and may mean serious depreciation - normal mileage in a 550 seems to be about 3k year and doing that kind of mileage may mean depreciation free motoring if you pay $100k ish for a good low mileage car.

My 550 costs about $2 per mile to run excluding petrol which seems about par for the course. If you google EVO magazine the owner ran a 550 as a longterm car and did fairly big mileage in it that should give you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for - all in all the 550/575 is a truly great car but nothing in life is free....
Depreciation in the grand scheme is nonsense. I could die tomorrow and frankly I wouldn't want my last drive to be in some POS because I was worried about losing a few bucks on resale.

If you keep your cars for a short period of time, you will probably lose money. Fact of life and the cost of doing business. But if you keep your cars for a long period of time and enjoy them, there really is no loss.

I kept my 308 for 5 years and lost nothing. My TR for 10, and it went down $5K. The Mondial t cab, 6 years and zero depreciation. The F40 went up in value after 5 years, and my 348 has been with me 18+ years. All the cars were used for everything from track days, hillclimbs, daily drivers and shopping runs. They were well taken care of, but used and enjoyed. The small losses were minimal, compared to the pleasure and enjoyment they brought.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Ingenere,

Your garage looks very impressive. Would you be able to post some pictures?

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Depreciation in the grand scheme is nonsense. I could die tomorrow and frankly I wouldn't want my last drive to be in some POS because I was worried about losing a few bucks on resale.

If you keep your cars for a short period of time, you will probably lose money. Fact of life and the cost of doing business. But if you keep your cars for a long period of time and enjoy them, there really is no loss.

I kept my 308 for 5 years and lost nothing. My TR for 10, and it went down $5K. The Mondial t cab, 6 years and zero depreciation. The F40 went up in value after 5 years, and my 348 has been with me 18+ years. All the cars were used for everything from track days, hillclimbs, daily drivers and shopping runs. They were well taken care of, but used and enjoyed. The small losses were minimal, compared to the pleasure and enjoyment they brought.
Do you still have the F40 ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts