Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 348 Spider tomorrow and from past experience and after studying the VIN decoder at http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/vin.html I was expecting the VIN to start off ZFFKA43C (UK supplied car) but according to the chap selling it, it starts with ZFFUA43C.

When I looked at the VIN decoder, the "U" apparently refers to "308 4-valve U.S.A. 1984-1985".

Could it be that Ferrari reused the letter "U" or maybe the vendor has made a mistake?

For a 348 the only three possible letters should be "K - 348 European", "F - 348 U.S.A. / Japan" or "R = 348 U.S.A."

Can anyone shed any light on this please? (I'm off to see it at 7am Saturday so a speedy answer would be very helpful thanks guys!)

Regards, Justyn. (Keeping my fingers crossed it is a nice car)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good luck checking it out.

I am not sure about this VIN, but letters are definately reused from time to time.

I found another Spider that had the same letters:

ZFFUA43B000099219 in Italy, so probably U is used for 348 Spiders!

Sounds solid to me.

Niels

·
Registered
60 Posts
justynb said:
I am looking at a 348 Spider tomorrow and from past experience and after studying the VIN decoder at http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/vin.html I was expecting the VIN to start off ZFFKA43C (UK supplied car) but according to the chap selling it, it starts with ZFFUA43C.
The Omologation Certificate applicable to the 348 Spider is the #DGM 405 year 1989, revised 1993 (it includes GTB and GTS data). There is the VIN explanation: it must be formed as follows

ZFFUA (1) (3) 000012345
(1) is 35 for GTB, 36 for GTS and 43 for the Spider
(3) is B for car with the stearing wheel on the left, C on the right.

VIN for my 348 Spider (July 94) is ZFFUA43B000097414.

Best wishes for the one you are looking for :D :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
[/quote]
The Omologation Certificate applicable to the 348 Spider is the #DGM 405 year 1989, revised 1993 (it includes GTB and GTS data).[/quote]

Just to be more precise, DGM #405 is the general Omologation data sheet.
The specific one for 348 models is DGM 52837 OM (first issue Sept 09 1989).

The ones for 348 GTB, GTS and Spider are, respectively:
OM 52837 EST 04 del 01/07/93
OM 52837 EST 05 del 01/07/93
OM 52837 EST 06 del 01/07/93

Omologation sheets can be downloaded from the Ferrari Owner's official site.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I just realized this topic was brought back up one year later. I haven't seen Justyn in a long time but this is some great info 1 year later. FYI: He already got a 348. First deal went bad then he found a good deal later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
I just realized this topic was brought back up one year later. I haven't seen Justyn in a long time but this is some great info 1 year later. FYI: He already got a 348. First deal went bad then he found a good deal later.
:oops: :oops: :oops: Thus, I had the right answers, but at the wrong time :oops: :oops:
It is interesting to argue about the timing: we tend to think that what is now on the screen is the present, the reality. Careless of when it was actually posted! :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
No worries! I thought it was great information and I'm thrilled you shared it. I'm sure the next guy that runs a search and finds your info will be happy you posted regardless of the time. I just thought it was cool!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts