Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! Buying a 348 Spider

Hi, new to the forum. I'm planning to buy a 1994 348 Spider with 36K miles, black/black for $32K. The car will need the 30K mile service and was quoted by Ferrari to be $9600 with the water pump. The exterior is in very good shape that includes the top. The interior is very clean with no tears. The only imperfections I see is the steering column cover is sticky and also near the stick shift area. Other than that the car runs very good and very presentable. Mistake or not? Open to suggestions and comments!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
That price is not that bad with 30k mile check coming. Did you get a PPI done on it? If the car checks out that sounds great:D Wait and hear from better sources to come. Good luck with the car!

Chris

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
That price is dirt cheap...Look very deep...get a PPI...review ALL records closely. 32K is at least 15k to low. Something does not smell right.

Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Agreed, nice examples of 308's are going for that money. Get the PPI and if it doesn't turn up anything other than normal wear & tear then buy the car, put the money into it and you got a decent deal. I'd buy it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick reply! The PPI will take place tomorrow and hopefully it will be a positive one. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao congratulations and welcome

That price is dirt cheap...Look very deep...get a PPI...review ALL records closely. 32K is at least 15k to low. Something does not smell right.

Welcome to the site.
+1 that is really cheap for a spider even without the major completed be cautious

It is probably a great deal we just don't want your first experience to be your last...:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the PPI is complete and the Spider passed with flying colors. According to the PPI the car will need new rear tires, battery tray, left side driving light out, rear signal bulb replacement, steering column cover replaced (sticky) and near the stick shift area and the 30K major service. Service records are all up to date. They also added a full detail.

(?) I was quoted $9600. at Ferrari for the major service and $5500. from my personal mechanic who has worked on my Porsche's for the last 20 years. Who also works on Ferrari's and a bunch of exotic cars. What should I do?

Thank you all for the feedback, talk to you soon-Alex

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Well the PPI is complete and the Spider passed with flying colors. According to the PPI the car will need new rear tires, battery tray, left side driving light out, rear signal bulb replacement, steering column cover replaced (sticky) and near the stick shift area and the 30K major service. Service records are all up to date. They also added a full detail.

(?) I was quoted $9600. at Ferrari for the major service and $5500. from my personal mechanic who has worked on my Porsche's for the last 20 years. Who also works on Ferrari's and a bunch of exotic cars. What should I do?

Honestly it depends on your intentions of what you want to do with the car

If she is to be a garage queen and just looked at and plan on not driving her then get Ferrari to do it for it will help your resale value.

If your planning on enjoying her everyday then get your mechanic to do it

There are hundreds of guys that have performed there own major or have had there personnel non Ferrari mechanic to do it for them at a much lower price.

$5500 sounds reasonable for a major just make sure you and your mechanic do homework on all that is required and all that should be done when the engine is out.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I agree with Nights post completely.

When I bought my car, I had to do the same thinking as you. My conclusion was that I wanted a Ferrari trained technician to go through the car making sure everything was right. It was my minds way of setting a baseline. My Major was done by FoNE this past winter and I couldn't be happier with the results. Now that I know everything is OK, I feel free to do some work myself.

There are some pointers I'd like to give you regarding money savers and upgraded parts. I'll put that in another thread in the WORKSHOP section this afternoon.

Congrats on the deal of the century. I hope the car is all you expect and more.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Alex,
Congrats on the car! I look forward to seeing the pictures and the big smile on your face. I think you are getting a good deal.

For the work, I'd have your personal mechanic do it. If you've been going to him for 20 years then it is obvious that you trust him and are pleased with his work and he does have experience with Ferraris. You know he isn't going to screw you. More importantly, he knows you and what your expectations are. Doing this major for you will get him intimately familiar with your car so if you have any problems down the road he's already been over the car and you can just go see him instead of going to the Ferrari dealer for every little issue. Plus with the $4k savings you can afford to have all the other stuff taken care of. Ask him if he has the service manual for the car and if he doesn't then buy one and leave it in the car.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Alex,

Congratulations on the car, and I totally agree with Pete! Can't wait for pictures :D

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the positive feedback and making my Ferrari buying experience very welcoming. Hopefully, this weekend will be a good one and I will take pics of the spider and post them on the site.

Regarding the major service, I will be loyal to my mechanic and have him perform the service. "Tony" has been there for me on all my projects why give up on him now!

Thanks again-Alex

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Alex...Make sure you see the "alternative parts" thread in the Ferrari Workshop. It was specifically written for you. Tony sounds like the kind of guy you can work with. A good mechanic is hard to find. Hold on to him (figuratively)

Congrats again

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Thank you all for the positive feedback and making my Ferrari buying experience very welcoming. Hopefully, this weekend will be a good one and I will take pics of the spider and post them on the site.

Regarding the major service, I will be loyal to my mechanic and have him perform the service. "Tony" has been there for me on all my projects why give up on him now!

Thanks again-Alex
I think you made the right choice plus with an Italian name like Tony
You can't go wrong

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH TONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!...:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
430-Fan,

I never seen a Fiat at his shop or had to go back for a "fix it again"!. Would you like to comment any further on the site or PM me.

Thanks-Alex
That's just a joke about Italian cars that Fiat stands for "Fix It Again Tony." He meant no disrespect towards you or your mechanic. He was merely commenting on the coincedence that your mechanic, who is going to work on your Italian car, is named Tony.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts

that's great news!!

congratulations for the new car, share some pics and... DRIVE IT!!!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Thanks Pete I have alot to learn about Italian cars and jokes! I've been a Porsche guy for the past 20 years.

Thanks-Alex
No problem Alex. When you come on this site you can expect a little joking. We are all Ferrari enthusiasts and we come on here to share experiences and information and have a good time while we are doing it. If anybody says anything that offends you, it really wasn't meant that way. We here on F-life have really built a great international community that is based on mutual respect. If something strikes you as "off" it is probably just a joke. You should see the posts that fly between me and ArchieGibbs, we really rib each other and have a great time here.

It is really great with the internet these days. It used to be that I couldn't communicate at all with people in the UK. These days I can piss all of them off with just a few key strokes. :)

So welcome to the Ferrari experience Alex and just enjoy it and have a good time. Porsche guys have no sense of humor. (that's another one of those jokes :) )

1 - 20 of 46 Posts