Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I need some help please.

Today I was driving along and the low pressure oil light came up on my display everytime I stopped at lights. The oil pressure would read zero. On moving off the pressure would rise and the light go off. (Its 110 degreees here today in San Ramon so you can imagine my reaction)

So when I get home I check the oil level and its not even registering on the oil dip stick (Remember I bought this 360 Stradale 3 months ago from a Ferrari dealer) So I decide to get smart and add a couple of quarts. Every time I add some oil I check and recheck the level. Eventually the car takes nearly 4 quarts!)

I start the car and almost immediatly smoke (A lot of it) comes out of the exhaust, I let it run for about 10 mins stop and restart, same issue more smoke.

I recheck the oil level and its now an inch over the max fill level - Looks like I've overfilled the oil reservoir by a quart.. What an idiot @$#$

So heres the questions..

1) What damange may I have done to the car? I'm worried that the design of the 360 oil reservoir may force overfilled oil into other parts of the engine and damage them.

2) What can I do to resolve this.. I'm assuming I get Ferrari to drain the oil and refill, is there an alternative?

All help greatfully recieved

A worried Derm

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Dermot….I feel so bad for you hearing this.......

Your suppose to add a quart at a time, start the engine 30 seconds, shut it down, check again and keep doing this process until the level is perfect. Once you’re getting close, do half a quart at a time. This process is only done when adding oil not an oil change.

If you can drain some oil...do it (about 3 quarts)...if not...flatbed to a garage that can....

What you did was create too much bottom pressure and some of the oil shot up the piston wall into the combustion chamber and then out the exhaust. It may result in oil-fouled spark plugs, oil leaks caused by oil seal failure or engine damage due to oil foaming. Foam can lead to overheated motor oil, oxidation and a loss of oil pressure. It also starves the engine and critical lubricated surfaces. To know if anything was damaged…..well….that’s pretty hard to say how much or none at all.

Good luck and keep us posted…

~

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I'll update u with progress

D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar Problems

When I purchased my car (02’ 360 F1) in Nov. 06. Three days later I experienced a problem with low oil pressure and smoking. I called the dealer and they towed my car into the service department, the next day they told me that it was no serious problem and to pick up the car. But it continued to happen again and again. To make a long story short and maybe to ease your nerves a little, what happened to my car :

- all the intakes were being flooded with oil caused by a “clog” in the internal screen oil filter. Not letting the oil circulate properly in the engine, causing it flow into the two black hoses coming out of the oil reservoir .Which they told me that only “gases” pass through those hoses. This was the result of having low oil pressure and a lot of smoke.

I hope it helps.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Problem ?

Does this mean that 360s got some basic design or parts problem which the seller calls no serious problem ? Jimmy

·
Registered
8 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts