Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery is getting weak. After a week of sitting the clock had run the battery down enough that I had to boost the car to get it running. Went to Lowes (a home improvement store) to look at some roofing materials and counter tops. I figured the 20 minute drive would be enough to top the battery back up. I figured wrong. It turned over a few times and then nothing. click-click-click. You all know that sickening feeling.

Anyway, a couple of the clerks were outside and I asked if either of them could give me a boost. One of them said he had cables but since he was working didn't know if he could help me. He went and asked the manager who said it was OK.

He brought his Dodge Dakota Pickup truck around and we hooked up the cables. Car fired right up. I offered him a $20 bill for getting me out of a bind and he said, "Oh no, I can't take that. I'm not on my time, I'm working."

Wow! Now that is great customer service at Lowes and an employee with a great work ethic. And it was a Dodge to the rescue of a Ferrari.

Sorry no pictures, didn't have the camera.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
It seems like just a week of sitting around would not result in such a bind. Could it be possible that there may be other considerations to think of ?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I once had a glovebox that wouldnt shut entirely. The light inside, though not visible because the door was closed, was draining the battery. A week of not sitting is a little rough. How old is the battery?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS said:
It seems like just a week of sitting around would not result in such a bind. Could it be possible that there may be other considerations to think of ?
The car sits for 3 weeks (or more) at a time. It's the clock that runs the battery down. I'm gonna pull the fuse on that thing.

FunkyJunc said:
How old is the battery?
It is the battery that was in the car when I bought it 4 years ago and I have no idea how long it was in the car before then. I'm going to pull it out today, fully charge it and load test it. If it fails the load test I'll replace it with a new Optima.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Dying battery

Glad you figured out the problem. If the battery's been in there for over four years, it has served well and should be replaced. Living in Maine, long winter season with freezing temperatures would take toll and deplete the battery even faster, and infrequent driving doesn't help the matter. It would help to "kill" those damn clocks because in my opinion, you don't need it in a Ferrari. I have my clocks shut down. Good luck and I am sure a new battery would help the matter. Jimmy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same thing happened to me over the winter. Damn clock drained the battery. What's up with those clocks? My other cars clocks never had that much of a drain....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts