Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened on 2nd of may in Macedonia.
Gumball Porsche was driving at speed of 200 kmh when it rammed into a VW GOlf mark 1 and killed the driver and seriously hurted the female passenger. It happened on a junction where the speed limit is only 40.

What do you guys think about Gumball 3000. Should it be held?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think the coordinators of the rally should be held responsible, if that's what you're asking. I have no problems either way about whether the gumball rally should or shouldn't happen. It specifically states on their website that it is a rally, not a race. Every instance of excessive speed and reckless driving is a result of irresponsible driving for each member, and isn't condoned by the organization.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It happened on 2nd of may in Macedonia.
Gumball Porsche was driving at speed of 200 kmh when it rammed into a VW GOlf mark 1 and killed the driver and seriously hurted the female passenger. It happened on a junction where the speed limit is only 40.

What do you guys think about Gumball 3000. Should it be held?
I don't think it should be held if the public are allowed to drive on the same roads at the same time, if the roads were closed to the public on the day of the race there would be no danger of public casualties and it should be allowed to go ahead on that basis, as per the Isle of Man TT races or the British RAC Rally.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no archie, its held in over 40 countries with 1000 drivers involved.
Its virtually imposible to organise such an event for closed roads.
Everything was unorganised and pretty much illegal.

Before the rally, participants symbolicly agreed not to drive over the speed limits and not to race other Gumball participants or other traffic participants.
Once the rally started, they did all kinds of crazy stunts.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I understand now. I love motor sports and don't like to see it stopped, but if it can't be organised safely it shouldn't be allowed to go ahead. The public and spectators must be allowed to go about their normal business safely, and if people want to drive their supercars at 300KPH, they must do it safely on a track or with roads closed to the public, it doesn't seem that can happen with the Gumball for the reasons you stated.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I think the event is a cool concept (rallies across many countries is awesome) but poorly executed and it draws a different crowd which is mostly the rich Hollywood type that are reckless.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the event is a cool concept (rallies across many countries is awesome) but poorly executed and it draws a different crowd which is mostly the rich Hollywood type that are reckless.
That's my one beef with the gumball rally. It all seems a bit too ostentatious. I've been to vegas, and can only take a few hours of it before I make a valiant attempt at leaving (It's impossible. But, remember, if you're not taking 15 out, take Blue Diamond road.. takes you to pahrump ;))

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's NOT macedonia but scopia.Macedonia is a region in the northern greece . fyrom uses this name illegally
:D Now this must be my southeren greek neighbour, hello ;)
They are allways on denial.

The USA together with the rest of the world, recognised our country officially as Macedonia. We are the descendats of Alexander the Macedon aka Alexander the Great. Some preffer to add the obsolete addition of Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia. But Yugoslavia is all but gone, non existant. So we cannot be a former part of something that it isn't there, just like Serbia, Croatia, Monte Negro, Slovenia are not former Yugoslav republics.
The only reason Greece (and ONLY Greece from all the countries in the world) dont want to recognise us under the official name is beause they have great deal to fear:
One third of our country was annexed after 1913 Bukurest treaty by Greece.
They are so afraid that one day they are going to loose that part of northern Greece, that they started to deny our country's name and people. On top of that, they named the anexxed part 'Macedonia' as well. Now they claim that 'their' Macedonia (which really belongs to us) is the only 'real' Macedonia, and that we are fake:) They even go so far that they claim them selves not the descendants of Anthic Greece, but they want to be descendatnt of the Anthic Macedons, like us ;) They even mix up history a little, saying the Anthic Macedons were one nation with Anthic Greeks. They forgot to mention that the modern world have exposed them as phony greeks, meaning they are not even the descendatns of the Antihc greeks, but a huge mix of middle east nations.
They have very powerful lobby worldwide, and are trying with every means necessary to deny our country. Even on this forum they find it necessary to do so. Fortunately they are losing their fake battle.
Its really political non-sense from Greece, I wonder why did I spent all my money on a last years holiday in Athens.

And its not skopia, but Skopje is the capital of Macedonia. Its the city where Mother Tereza was born.

And lets keep to the subject shall we :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flash news:
The driver casuing the accident (Nicolas Morley age 30) bailed out at 25.000 $. He went straight to the airport to try and get aboard his private plain.
He was re-arrested by the state police for trying to leave the country.
This is his second time trying to flee the country where he commited crime and is scheduled for a trial. The first time was right after the accident, when he run away with some friend's BMW from the crime scene directly to the Albanian border. HE DID NOT GIVE FIRST AID TO HIS VICTIM.

I love motosport, we all do. This is no motorsport.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
no, that's not even human, that's just being a selfish ass

I hope he gets what he deserves

by the way, the wife of the guy that died also died, I think on Saturday

so that stupid punk killed not one, but two people

may they RIP

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have to admit, I don't know much about the Gumball. Is it a free for all race where you don't have to have any experience or skill, just lots of money or a rich dad and a fast car? I saw a TV program a few yrs ago, an English toff rolled his white 308 in a field somewher near St Petersburg, he got out OK, but didn't seem very upset, I think he thought that Daddy would buy him a new one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to admit, I don't know much about the Gumball. Is it a free for all race where you don't have to have any experience or skill, just lots of money or a rich dad and a fast car? I saw a TV program a few yrs ago, an English toff rolled his white 308 in a field somewher near St Petersburg, he got out OK, but didn't seem very upset, I think he thought that Daddy would buy him a new one.
You have to pay 40k entry fee.

Dont know for sure if you need approval from the organizers if you can pay the fee and have a car.
Being rich and famous is probably desriable.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
You have to pay 40k entry fee.

Dont know for sure if you need approval from the organizers if you can pay the fee and have a car.
Being rich and famous is probably desriable.
That explains why the the impression I got was that it was a toff or celebrity rally rather than one for serious professional drivers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts