Ferrari Life Forum banner

GTS Turbo ?

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Boxer 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience trying to import a GTS Turbo (208) into the US from Italy. The GTS Turbo was made from 86-89 and utilizes the same platform as the 328.

#4 ·
Boxer42 said:
Any idea if anyone has tried to bring a GTS Turbo into the United States ?
With the exception of the smaller engine, air ducts ahead of the rear wheels, and IHI turbo charger, the car is identical to the 328 GTS.
One user on the site tried to get it into Canada but I think he gave up. If you want it as a daily driver it will be very hard to get in. If you import it under a "show lincese" then you'll have no problems.

I just searched for DOT and EPA links and couldn't find them :cry:

I did this research over two years ago before I came to Japan about importing Skylines. It wasn't that hard.

If you want it as a daily driver good luck. For this to happen someone must have crash tested the car 3 times to prove that it meets bumper regulations. Then the ODB stuff has to be up to date. But for an older car I'm not sure the laws are as strict. Give the DOT a call www.dot.gov

#7 ·
Enzo250GTO said:
Barchetta said:
Is there not a 15 year rule? I know here in Canada there is but not sure for in the US.
if you mean for a car to become a classic then in the U.S. it is 25 years. At which point I would imagine getting the car in would be easy.
We have a 21-year rule. They're then classified as Classic Cars. Makes importing easier and more important duty payment, a fraction of current car amount.

#9 ·
here 20 years can get it as a classis and 25 as an oldtimer
difference?
with an oldtimer you don't have to go to the car control service (or wathever it's called in english???) every year, BUT you aren't allowed to drive it alot or far, only for testdrives around your residence and at shows

#10 ·
Dear Dirk,

In Belgium you have two kinds of Oldtimer registrations.
One as you explane and a second is that you have to pass a technical controle every year as a normal car, then you pay a roadtax equal to the system you explained, 30 €, and you can use it as a normal car.

Eddy

#12 ·
Wow, that's an old thread, nearly as old as a 208 turbo.

What kind of performance figures does it have? Comparable to a 308i?

#16 ·
Crazy old thread. Also bumped up a thread with a user I haven't seen here in a long-time. Stradale was a very knowledgable owner in Southeast Asia (Singapore I think).

It does seem like it is a forgotten car.
Stradale was based in KL. He disappeared a few years ago suddenly.

On the GTS Turbo, talked to one of the mechanics I have used here about it, his advise, don't touch them.

#14 ·
254 HP. Euro trim so it was actually a fairly light car. There was a writeup in Forza in June 2010 regarding a guy who had imported one to the states. Dick Merritt used to be the guru of imported Ferraris to the US. Not sure if he still has any involvement.... I just saw him the other day but didn't think to ask him about that.

#15 ·
See if this helps.

U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Enforcement
Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance
Contact Name: Richard Merritt (may find him in directory as Dick Merritt)
Rm 6115, NEF-30
400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20590

202-493-2266
Kathy Rice is his secretary- 202-366-5291
Main Dept- 202-493-5300

#17 ·
Boxer- Probably good advice. What they did was keep the stroke the same (71 mm) and sleeve the block for a smaller bore (66.8 mm). Turbo boost was pretty high at 1.05 atmospheres (!5+ psi), and the cars, from what I can tell, retained the old two valve heads of the pre-QV cars. If those still had the welded, sodium filled exhaust valves, not a good combination with 15 psi boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.