Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have experience with this model of Ferrari? 328 body style with a 2 litre turbo-intercooled motor for the Italian market. I'd like to know how reliable the motor is ("Experts" warn of expensive turbo failure for lack of regular oil changes).

I was planning to go to Italy next year and was THINKING of picking one up. I stress THINKING, as it would mean I would have to sell the GT4 and I can't, I love the car too much.

But my reason for choosing this car is basic. Price. The 208 cars sell for rock-bottom, you can get these for 308 GTSi money, but have the performance of a 328 and the looks (and I've had a big thing for the 328 all my car-crazy life). I'll add, I don't have the kind of money to buy a 328 if those people are thinking of suggesting that... This is why I'm choosing a 208 Turbo Intercooler.

Right now, I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with them (if there are any out there...).

·
Registered
824 Posts
Can't help you out here, but there is a difference between a 208 GTB and a GTB Turbo! the 208 Turbo is the two-litre version of a 308 GTB, where the GTB Turbo is a 2-litre version of the 328 GTB! BIg difference between the cars thus...

Niels

·
Registered
457 Posts
Peter,

Those later 208 GTB or GTS Turbos are beautiful cars. I'm sure we have the same books that all indicate what you mentioned about them. I personally have never even seen one, let alone drive one but I'm sure the experience would be similar to the 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo I own in comparison to the 944. Around town, my Turbo is like the 944. Once you get the RPMs over 3000, all that changes! My 944 Turbo is a 2.5 liter 2 valve engine which makes 217 hp and 247 lb/ft torque. It shows just how good the Ferrari V-8 engine is to outdo the larger displacement 4 cylinder Porsche engine.

My tubocharger is doing well. I change the oil as specified and use Mobil 15W50 as Porsche now recommends. I let the engine idle for 2 minutes before I shut down after each drive.

Knowing your level of mechanical skill, I'm sure you'll know what to do to get even more performance from the blown 2 liter engine.

I like the NACA ducts and the rear deck treatment on the 208 Turbo as well. I know it will be hard for you to part with your GT4. I think it's true what they say that we're not Ferrari owners but rather custodians. We keep and maintain the car until it's time for someone else to assume the responsibility.

Barry

·
Registered
5 Posts
208 Turbo Prices

If you want a feel for the price of the cars go to:

www.portaportese.it (this is like a buy and sell magazine in Italy)

Choose 'veicoli' on the left menu and then 'Auto Italiane'. Under 'Marca' choose Ferrari and then press the 'invia' button. There will be a lot of listings.

I know little about these cars but know a lot about Italians and how they treat their cars. There are few deals to be had in Italy as most cars there will be beaten and tired. My opinion....enjoy the GT4, save up and by yourself a proper 328. In the end you will have the proper performance of the 328 with none of the hassles and unknowns of importation.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Peter, I am sure as you know that not changing the oil is the reason for turbos going south as they do. If I knew of a car that had been properly maintained I wouldn't have any problem with it but then who knows . I guess the turbos are capable of being overhauled such as the 911 Porsche turbos. You being a DIY could take care of that if it became a problem. Something tells me though that the GT4 has too much of your blood and sweat in it to get rid of it. Magoo

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Magoo said:
...Something tells me though that the GT4 has too much of your blood and sweat in it to get rid of it. Magoo
I know Magoo, I'm so attached to the car, what I want is my cake and eat it too!

Recently, a friend of mine in Seattle just bought himself a 328 GTS and came up to my house for a visit. I've seen 328's before, but seeing his car, so up close and personal, has got me smitten. I have to have one now! The Classic & Sports Car magazine of July 2002 had a brief report on the 208 Turbo and it just reinforced that desire...

This trip to Italy is still a long time away. Things may change by then...

P.S. I've been studying this model for some time and the basic engine remained unchanged throughout its life (from the 208 GT4 to this GTB Turbo). Its based on the 3 litre F106 block (the 2 litres still carry the F106 designation. It basically identifies it as a two-valve V-8 ), with smaller cylinder liners. Lower comp. pistons, turbos and different cams all that separates the GTB Turbos from the normally aspirated variants.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Boxer 42,

No I haven't. I had planned on going to Italy later this year, but I've sidelined those plans and post-poning it to... Whenever...

As such, I will not be getting a 208 Turbo now, but when the time, funds and garage space permits, then I will. I still love them and would love to have one.

I have not had a chance to sample one, but from what I've read in magazine reviews and heard from those who have owned one, all say its a great car, a great performer, matching that of the 328 and probably better. Keep in mind, when the car is off-boost, it isn't very powerful (like a typical Turbo car), but this keeps it docile for city driving. When you step on the throttle... Hold on!

Plus, I always get a big kick out of hearing a turbo car run, from the sound of the turbo spooling-up during acceleration, to the popping of the wastegate and blowing off of the dump valve on decceleration... Cool stuff.

Best of all, the 208 series of cars are probably the least expensive of any Ferrari, anywhere. The biggest draw for me :wink:

·
Administrator
15,137 Posts
Peter, I understand that Canada classifies cars as Classics after 15 years so bringing one in should be easier than in the US. I recently saw a couple of nice GTS Turbos at: www.luzzago.com. The asking price is around Euro 30k. Not much price difference between the Turbo and 328. Let me know if you ever do pick one up. Boxer42

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boxer42 said:
Peter, I understand that Canada classifies cars as Classics after 15 years so bringing one in should be easier than in the US. I recently saw a couple of nice GTS Turbos at: www.luzzago.com. The asking price is around Euro 30k. Not much price difference between the Turbo and 328. Let me know if you ever do pick one up. Boxer42
Yes, that's correct, once a vehicle reaches 15 years old, it can be imported directly into Canada, without needing any modifications to comply with Transport Canada's Reg's (I see you've done your homework! :wink: ). Its one of the reasons why I had my eye on a 208, because I knew I could legally own one, hassle-free.

Luzzago always has an interesting collection of cars for sale (although from what I've seen listed on their webpage, not that many 208's). I've noticed Turbo's to be less than 328's, usually by a few thousand Euros... Which makes a big difference when converting from Canadian dollars!

I will let you, plus everyone else know when I do get one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts