Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this months copy of Evo the article on buying a 308 GT4 says that the power output of the 308GT4 from 1978 onwards was dropped from 255 to 230 bhp due to emmision laws (I have a Euro car). Is this true? According to the manual that came with my car the power is 250bhp NET (I guess this means at the crank).

If the power was dropped to 230bhp on my car, It would be nice to have it back! Is there something that that can be done to unleash this extra 25bhp?

I may put the car on a dyno and see what it is making at the back wheel.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Euro cars escaped from the debilitating affects of emissions, so I don't know why there is a claim of reduced power from '78 onwards. Cams stayed the same throughout the years, so it couldn't be from that. I was aware of the switch to electronic ignition in '79, but could it have been in '78? In any case, I don't think that would have that much affect (advance curves as far as I know didn't change with the switch to elec. ignition).

Only way I can explain it is maybe they (Ferrari) finally decided to post real numbers instead of the optimistic/inflated, (introductory-year - remember, new cars need to sell and big numbers sell cars) output.

Until you get your car on the dyno and if you're happy with the way the car performs, leave it at that...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Yes, usually only the American cars dropped in performance because of stricter emission outputs and stuff, EURO cars didn't face that problem. If you're happy with the car as it is, leave it that way. I think you will never see the money back you are going to put in it to make it a bit faster.

My opinion

1 - 3 of 3 Posts