Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about being politically correct on the Testarossa and "512TR"

Why do most owners of the early (pre 1991) Ferrari Testarossa refer to their cars as TR's or 512TRs. I thought the 512TR were the 1992-1994 models only. Makes it a little confusing when reading about cars when it's referred to as a TR. I get my hopes up high and thinking they are talking about the same year that I have to come to find out it's an earlier model Testarossa. Is there really a difference in the names? Or is it easier for people to say "TR"?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Why do most owners of the early (pre 1991) Ferrari Testarossa refer to their cars as TR's or 512TRs. I thought the 512TR were the 1992-1994 models only. Makes it a little confusing when reading about cars when it's referred to as a TR. I get my hopes up high and thinking they are talking about the same year that I have to come to find out it's an earlier model Testarossa. Is there really a difference in the names? Or is it easier for people to say "TR"?
I agree with the annoyance. Then sometimes you'll see, "I have a 512" is that 512 TR? or a 512BB? Just to confuse you more!

As Boxer... err FF90 pointed out, the TR is used a lot for Testarossa and probably dates back to the original which was "Testa Rossa" such as this model:
http://www.ferrarilife.com/models/view_model.php?modelid=48

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that big of a deal. I wasn't sure if it was like me saying I have a Dodge Viper SRT when it's really a GTS. LOL! Two totally different cars. :rofl:

·
Registered
453 Posts
TR is easier to type quickly on the chat forums, so I suppose that is the origin of the confusion. People could say "89 TR" to at least place the car in a specific year.

Ferrari nomenclature and model numbers and body styles are confusing enough, for sure! Especially the vintage models of the 250, 330, 365 series. Some of them all look the same but are different models because of the engines! Very counterintuitive!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Ferrari nomenclature and model numbers and body styles are confusing enough, for sure! Especially the vintage models of the 250, 330, 365 series. Some of them all look the same but are different models because of the engines! Very counterintuitive!
Agree, especially in regards to the 365. It covers models ranging from the Queen Mother to the Boxer to the Daytona. All very different cars and all '365s' according to Ferrari.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts