Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, friends, as I mentioned I took the 550 from Holland to Goodwood for the Revival weekend and I have to say, I have never seen so many cool cars in my life. For some reason, it seemed like a Maranello weekend, as I counted at least 10 different 550s in 3 days, and our hotel had 2 in the parking lot (myself and a red English one).

The Revival weekend is something that you MUST experience if you're a petrol head. Even just trawling the car park is wonderful, with everything from Lotus 7s to Gallardos and everthing inbetween. The best part of it, though, is the event itself with 100,000 people dressed up in clothes from the 40ies - 60ies, and the other 30,000 promising themselves they will do the same next time and being ashamed for ruining the atmosphere. My brother and I had tried to organise something ourselves but it wasn't easy in Holland and fell through in the end.

The racing was wonderful and these old beasts were given a good work-out and we had one or two crashes, including a heavy one. Fortunately nobody was hurt. The Goodwood circuit has not changed since it closed in 1966 and just like in the old days, you can walk everywhere (except for a small section reserved for GRCC members) and talk with drivers and mechanics. It's really easy to experience these cars upclose, and nobody abuses the priviledge. Let's hope it stays like this forever.

The cars were too numerous to mention, but the 1929 Bentley-Napier that was used for frying sausages deserved an honorary mention. The thing smoked and bellowed like something out of a J.R.R. Tolkien book. Awesome!

It's funny that we had two wonderful things happen to us AFTER the event, but still related to it: at dinner in a restaurant in Portsmouth, an elderly gentleman sat next to us and we got talking. It turned out that he actually raced at Goodwood in the 50ies and 60ies, and he had just been re-aquainted with his first serious racing car, a Cooper-Jaguar he had bought from F1 driver Peter Whitehead in 1955. It was thoroughly nice talking to this man, and his experiences.

The second strange thing to happen was that I drove into the Channel Tunnel train (at the truck entrance because the 550 is so wide), when I noticed that behind us turned into the train A BLUE MARANELLO!!! OK, it was a 575 not a 550 but it is quite strange that 2 blue Maranellos are parked in a train cart that can only fit 4 cars in total. Quite amazing. Very nice chap, by the way, and we followed each other for 140km through France and Belgium.

OK, enough of me talking and over to some pictures. I've chosen mostly other pics than on the other forum I frequent, so these will be new to you even if you've seen my other thread.

I hope you enjoy the pics as much as I did the event!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Onno,
Thanks for sharing your experience and photo's. It looked and sounded fantastic. Some very nice F-Cars there, including your 550:thumbup:

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Perhaps off-topic, but does anyone know why the pics are listed as thumbnails and you need to click on them to see them properly?

A rival forum running on this same software just shows the photos, which I think is nicer.

Onno
I could perhaps just show them. There are trade-offs to each method.

- I know the rival doesn't allow 2MB photos (we do here) to my knowledge so I make them thumbnails as 2MB photos can sometimes be 2200 x 1800 pixels and would mess up the layout. Advantage: larger uploads, disadvantage: you pointed it out, you have to click them.

- I also allow non-registered users to view photos so having the thumbnails reduces bandwidth when people look at the topics. Over there you'll see links as a non-user and have to register to view them. Advantage: faster loading pages, disadvantage: same as above, have to click

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
great shots Onno
i REALLY need to make it over there once :mad:

and the Napier Railton was already back there? 2 weeks before she was also at Pebble :D

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could perhaps just show them. There are trade-offs to each method.

- I know the rival doesn't allow 2MB photos (we do here) to my knowledge so I make them thumbnails as 2MB photos can sometimes be 2200 x 1800 pixels and would mess up the layout. Advantage: larger uploads, disadvantage: you pointed it out, you have to click them.

- I also allow non-registered users to view photos so having the thumbnails reduces bandwidth when people look at the topics. Over there you'll see links as a non-user and have to register to view them. Advantage: faster loading pages, disadvantage: same as above, have to click
Thanks for the explanation Andrew, I see the advantages of doing it this way.

Thanks for the compliments people, it was a great pleasure to be shooting off 1,000 frames or so during the 3 days. I've got a couple of hours of video as well, when I get time to edit it I'll post a summary somewhere.

The Napier-Railton was also at the Brooklands Centenary. It really gets around! Nice job if you can get it...

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Andrew, I see the advantages of doing it this way.

Thanks for the compliments people, it was a great pleasure to be shooting off 1,000 frames or so during the 3 days. I've got a couple of hours of video as well, when I get time to edit it I'll post a summary somewhere.

The Napier-Railton was also at the Brooklands Centenary. It really gets around! Nice job if you can get it...

Onno
Onno,

Thanks for being understanding.

For video you can use our sister site www.carandgarage.com

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts