Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a vintage Ferrari at Gooding Auctions and what should have a happy, fun and exciting acquisition of a collectible ended up being a nightmare because of Gooding's compplete lack of transparanecy after they were fully paid. Gooding Auctions charged me $42,000.00 in fees and I received terrible service resulting in tens of thousand$ of the car's collectible accessories being lost and in limbo. Gooding refused to divulge this to the buyer until asked, leavng the buyer to 'figure it out" and chase down the documents by registering a lost package. I was amazed at how absolutely unprofessional the Gooding follow-up staff communication was when their sales team had been so very responsive.

THE DIFFERENCES - GOODING AUCTIONS DOES THINGS DIFFERENTLY
In standard auctions, such as Bring A Trailer, things proceed logically; the buyer Bids, Wins, Pays and then receives everything included- the Car, Accessories and Title.
This is NOT the way Gooding operates.

In Gooding auctions, the buyer Bids, Wins, Pays 100% in full and then receives only part of the auction items; the Car, and only some Accessories such as Tools/pouch and Jack/pouch. The Title and those Accessories with documents are held back and allegedly sent weeks later at Gooding's discretion. This includes all historic owner's manuals with pouch, original warranty card, 50 years of service receipts, original dealer sales papers of the first owner.

OK, I understand that Gooding requires the title for Gov't transfer so holding that is reasonable but why must they retain the Historic documents?
It was never made clear and I begged 4 times prior to bidding for releasing them with car as their sales team had reiterated the car's features of originality/documents which had sold me and convinced me to bid "All in". I feared these items could get lost so asked again and was told; "No, no, no and no". Fueling this fear, Gooding's headquarters are in LA with many Americans having seen repeated news reporting of rampant freight and mail theivery in LA.

Gooding declined releasing the Books/Pouch/Receipts with car so I had no options but to wait.
The Auction win was Aug 13.
I then waited 3 weeks and had not heard anything from Gooding so on September 2, I sent a polite email inquiry when they might release the historic documents.
The response was "We shipped them 10 days ago by 2-day FEDEX"

Why hide this from me?
Why not even a courtesy email giving me a chance to be at home to expect them rather than sit on my porch?
I recalled that I had immediately paid Gooding all monies, including their $42,000.00 in service fees and was this the proverbial "we have your money, now we don't care"?

I requested the tracking number from Gooding and then I opened a lost ticket with the shipper. Amazingly, Gooding Auctions had not done this. It was like they did not care as they had been fully paid weeks ago. When I asked for an explanation, Gooding refused.

No apology, No excuse, No alert the package was even sent leaving $25,000.00 in collectibles in the wind for the buyer to track down.

What should have been a fun acquisition ended up being a nightmare for the buyer.
Finally, almost 5 weeks after the auction, a beatup, ragged package arrived with the collectbles. SMH

Based on my experience, I would never recommend anyone buy at Gooding Auctions

·
Registered
109 Posts
So sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at the Gooding Auction. How is it possible that they can threat their buyers so poorly with no repercussions (bad press or word of mouth exposing this poor behavior by Gooding Auctions) to their reputation as an auction company?
I am glad to hear that you finally got the important documents that enhanced the value of your new purchase. I hope you post some photos of your new car here.
Best of luck and enjoy the heck out of your new vehicle.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Your experience especially at a high end experience sets a truly bad taste in one's mouth.

I remember a similar experience selling about 2 dozen collector clocks where Bonnams charged me $80 to photograph per item to display in their catalog. I knew they were charging me for the pics but many of my vintage period pieces were grouped together in groups of 3/4 at a time and the charged me PER ITEM SHOWN!!. REALLY didn't like that nickel and dime approach, albeit only about an extra $3-400 overcharge as I estimate. Got a great return but left a bitter taste and buyer/seller beware.

Reactions: USADino

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at the Gooding Auction. How is it possible that they can threat their buyers so poorly with no repercussions (bad press or word of mouth exposing this poor behavior by Gooding Auctions) to their reputation as an auction company?
I am glad to hear that you finally got the important documents that enhanced the value of your new purchase.

I hope you post some photos of your new car here.
Yes, I have but my photos of the work seem to take more time than doing the actual work!
:)
The Dino suffers from massive deferred maintenance so have gone through the cooling, fuel, Air Conditioning, ignition and need to complete a valve adjust and clutch adjust/change.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

I have NEVER seen rust stalagmites before

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Gas
'

Some of the new parts ready to be installed

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Machine

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very nice 246 GTS ! I was looking at the replacement parts in your photo. Looks like you have new radiator overflow tank, distributor. spark plug cables, spark plugs, all new belts, and engine hoses, radiator pressure cap, thermostat, fuses, oil filter. oil pan drain plug and gasket, transmission drain plug and gasket, clutch cable, fuel filter, and it looks like the A/C high pressure and low pressure hoses...that's about all that I could figure out.
I see that you're using NGK BPR7ES 5534 spark plugs. What gap will you set these at? I had to start using NGK BPR8EIX Iridium plugs to get rid of the misfire that I as getting on my Dino. This has eliminated the misfire, however, I can't wait until my mechanic can go over my vehicle. I need him to check out the motor, replace my A/C High and low hoses, tune the carburetors, replace the A/C temperature switch.
Beautiful Dino! I'm sure that you'll have it all sorted out very quickly. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a vintage Ferrari at Gooding Auctions and what should have a happy, fun and exciting acquisition of a collectible ended up being a nightmare because of Gooding's compplete lack of transparanecy after they were fully paid. Gooding Auctions charged me $42,000.00 in fees and I received terrible service resulting in tens of thousand$ of the car's collectible accessories being lost and in limbo. Gooding refused to divulge this to the buyer until asked, leavng the buyer to 'figure it out" and chase down the documents by registering a lost package. I was amazed at how absolutely unprofessional the Gooding follow-up staff communication was when their sales team had been so very responsive.

krnt.run
indigocard.ltd

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, this Dino was impounded in a big collection for 34 years and has deferred maintenance, so I'm refreshing a lot of 48 year old rubbers.
All original rubber everywhere that is being refreshed; cooling system, fuel system, ignition, A/C systems and rubber/belts/hoses are being replaced. I'm doing a valve adjust also.

A lost pckage is one thing; Gooding auctions refusing to inform the buyer, never apologizing, and acting like "we have your $42,000.00 fees, now we don't care" is a tough one to take. I'd really think twice before buying at Gooding auctions again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No apology, No excuse, No alert the package was even sent leaving $25,000.00 in collectibles in the wind for the buyer to track down. Based on my experience, I would never recommend anyone buy at Gooding Auctions
Sorry about your experience. That said you were relatively lucky.

Had a much worse experience with Bonhams personally, as did others.

Trust an auction house at your own peril. ZERO accountability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts