Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve (enjoythemusic) races his Ferrari. We have all read his posts and we all know that he's THE 308 Guru. He's doing some tuning on his car tomorrow and invited me down and he'll take me for a few laps at New Hampshire International Speedway in his car. (in exchange for which I have to buy him a greasy cheeseburger at the track diner, fair enough. :) ).

I'm pretty excited. I'm just going now to go pack up my helmet and stuff so it will be all ready for the morning and of course my camera! I can't wait to see what a "real" 308 will do when in the hands of someone who knows how to drive it!

The weather is great, sunny and in the high 50's and is supposed to be the same tomorrow. I'm taking my 308 down there. It will be the farthest I've driven the Ferrari yet. About 2 1/2 hours away. I checked all the fluid levels in it today and put about 75 miles on it running errands so it is good to go.

Steve said there will be some other Ferrari guys there too so it will be good to hobnob with like-minded folks. So stay tuned....

Tomorrow night I'll be making a post titled "Went out on the Track Today" complete with pictures!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Im rediculously Jealous. Im going to have to come up there so you can drive me aorund the streets of Maine, that is of course AFTER you learn how to drive the car this weekend!! Ha, jk.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi Pete and everyone,

Sadly, the track marshall guys have gotten REALLY retentive about whatever rules they choose to abide by on any given day. For two sessions i was alone in the car learning the new R-compound tires. The third session my friend and Guru Scott rode along with me. The fourth session i let Scott drive and on the second lap they Black Flagged us (meaning asking us to go into the pits and talk to track control). Low and behold, no ride alongs! What the f... as Scott rode passenger the time before, we got NO Black Flag, and Scott has 11+ years of track experience and IS a multiple competition license holder.

In the end, no ride for Pete :( Wish i could have, but anyone who does track knows that if you get more than one Black Fag (even one can be bad), then you are probably kicked off the track for the day. Still, i DO have video and will be posting it soon.

My humble apologies Pete, wish we could have taken you on the track and you KNOW i tried as you were with me at Track Control as i pleaded my case.

It was wonderful to meet your lovely wife and MANY thanks for a great lunch and chat! If i can ever be of assistance with your 308 let me know.

Well, so much for NHIS for the day. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday is Watkins Glenn. If anyone wants to meet up please just stop by the track or PM me here and let me know before Sunday morning. FYI: Wednesday and Thursday is Ferrari Club Of America event at the Glenn so could be a GREAT chance to see many Ferrari's on the track :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve,
Thanks for inviting me over! Sure I was a little bummed I didn't get to go out on the track with you but my wife and I still had a great time and it was nice to finally meet you! Any day hanging out at the track talking Ferraris is better than a day of yard work. :)

To everyone else,
If you ever get the chance to hook up with Steve, do it! He's quite a character and a very nice, friendly, down-to-earth guy who you can't help but like.

To recap my day - Got up late, got some coffee in me and we headed out. It was 170 miles and took about 2.5 hours. Car ran great. Just purred right along. Checked the mileage and it got 17.5 mpg for the trip. Not too bad. Had a great time at the track watching the Ferrari and talking with Steve and Scott between sessions. Afterwards we went out to lunch and had some more good conversation. Of course, no day with my wife would be complete unless shopping is involved somewhere so we had to stop at the Fox Run Mall on the way home. Car ran great all the way home too. No Problems. Of course we hit Portland during rush hour so we had a lot of traffic and a lot of people checking out the car. So about 340 miles on the car today and enjoyed every minute of it.

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
great pics!!!

too bad you didn´t ride in the track, Pete, but well, seems like you had a great time anyway! =D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Pete04222 said:
Steve,
Thanks for inviting me over! Sure I was a little bummed I didn't get to go out on the track with you but my wife and I still had a great time and it was nice to finally meet you! Any day hanging out at the track talking Ferraris is better than a day of yard work. :)
Yard work, why what on Earth is that ;) <inside joke... Pete knows we have a kinda big 'yard' here>

Am glad you had a great time and so very bummed you could not ride along. As you say, it is just great to have fun driving the car (on street or track) and your gas mileage seems spot on great! Your car looks awesome!!!

(Said in good humor, and truth) Now if i could just 'borrow' those carbs in your car my car would go faster (true).

FYI: VIDEO of a lap around NHIS today is in the VIDEO section. Am uploading it to my server now.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
enjoythemusic said:
(Said in good humor, and truth) Now if i could just 'borrow' those carbs in your car my car would go faster (true).
Steve,
You just want something else on your car you can tweak. That little bit of hesitation when you ease onto the throttle just won't do. You'd have to work on the accelerator pumps, oh, maybe if you went one size up on the jets, etc., etc.

If you had the carbs, you'd have them off every weekend to change something.

I synched them 3 years ago when I changed the ignition and haven't touched them since.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Track days are a lot of fun. Highly recommended for those who like to find out just how good a product Maranello makes. Attached are a couple of pictures from the last track day I participated in. These were taken about a week ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Boxer said:
Track days are a lot of fun. Highly recommended for those who like to find out just how good a product Maranello makes. Attached are a couple of pictures from the last track day I participated in. These were taken about a week ago.
Wonderful pics! i hear participating in the Ferrari Challenge series is VERY expensive here in the USA. Looks like what you did was more a class or Arrive & Drive. If i may ask, what are the costs in Europe for the car/track/etc?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Boxer said:
This was more of a class and was run by Ferrari. A normal track day in Europe will run $200-300 depending on the location.
WOW! That is reasonable as Ferrari seems to be running classes here in the USA/Canada... but Ferrari is lending you a car and the prices are, as most things from the factory, over 3x the price of an American school (FNA school is about $8,000 or so for 2.5 days). So you are saying for $300 in Europe Ferrari will allow me use of one of their track cars and provide track time?

Usually we American's pay about $200/day fee for track days and supply our own vehicle. What is curious is that Ferrari's school here in America does not provide you a way to achieve a proper competition license like Skip Barber (plus at Barber you get to driver proper open wheel racecars). The costs for Skip Barber are around $3,000 for three days including the use of an open wheel Formula Dodge car. Am sure you much have such things as Skip Barber professional school in Europe.

Would you by chance know who offers a proper school in Europe. Would love to attend one. Many thanks as all help is always appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
enjoythemusic said:
WOW! That is reasonable as Ferrari seems to be running classes here in the USA/Canada... but Ferrari is lending you a car and the prices are, as most things from the factory, over 3x the price of an American school (FNA school is about $8,000 or so for 2.5 days). So you are saying for $300 in Europe Ferrari will allow me use of one of their track cars and provide track time?

Usually we American's pay about $200/day fee for track days and supply our own vehicle. What is curious is that Ferrari's school here in America does not provide you a way to achieve a proper competition license like Skip Barber (plus at Barber you get to driver proper open wheel racecars). The costs for Skip Barber are around $3,000 for three days including the use of an open wheel Formula Dodge car. Am sure you much have such things as Skip Barber professional school in Europe.

Would you by chance know who offers a proper school in Europe. Would love to attend one. Many thanks as all help is always appreciated.
Steve, It looks like I was not too clear. $200-$300 is for a normal track day in Europe where you bring your own car, wear out your own brake pads, tires, etc.

For the Ferrari event above, as a rough calculation, you need to add another 0 to the end. When you consider the cost (for those of us who are not that mechanically inclined) of track day prep, consumables, and instructors, the fees Ferrari charges over here seem almost reasonable (OK, we have a bit of self rationalization going on here).

There are a number of Driving Schools over here. You can find a list:

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentViewArticle.asp?article=2306&category=772

and I have heard generally very positive comments about:

Silverstone MotorSport Academy Silverstone Circuit
Silverstone
Towcester
Northants
NN12 8TN

Tel:44 8704 588212
Fax: 44 8704 588205

www.silverstone-circuit.co.uk/

·
Registered
293 Posts
Boxer,

Thanks for the link, and yes when using someone else's gear the prices do indeed go upward a bit. All in all, seems reasonable. Thanks for the link, hope to one day enjoy some 'arrive and drive' European events. Hope you enjoy many more track events in 2006 and as always...

·
Registered
17 Posts
enjoythemusic said:
Hi Pete and everyone,

Sadly, the track marshall guys have gotten REALLY retentive about whatever rules they choose to abide by on any given day. For two sessions i was alone in the car learning the new R-compound tires. The third session my friend and Guru Scott rode along with me. The fourth session i let Scott drive and on the second lap they Black Flagged us (meaning asking us to go into the pits and talk to track control). Low and behold, no ride alongs! What the f... as Scott rode passenger the time before, we got NO Black Flag, and Scott has 11+ years of track experience and IS a multiple competition license holder.

In the end, no ride for Pete :( Wish i could have, but anyone who does track knows that if you get more than one Black Fag (even one can be bad), then you are probably kicked off the track for the day. Still, i DO have video and will be posting it soon.

My humble apologies Pete, wish we could have taken you on the track and you KNOW i tried as you were with me at Track Control as i pleaded my case.

It was wonderful to meet your lovely wife and MANY thanks for a great lunch and chat! If i can ever be of assistance with your 308 let me know.

Well, so much for NHIS for the day. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday is Watkins Glenn. If anyone wants to meet up please just stop by the track or PM me here and let me know before Sunday morning. FYI: Wednesday and Thursday is Ferrari Club Of America event at the Glenn so could be a GREAT chance to see many Ferrari's on the track :)
Sorry to hear about the black flag. Next time, come on down South, We have never had that problem at Talladega Gran Prix Raceway or Barber Motorsports Park.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts