Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I joined recently in order to learn more about Ferrari's, especially the 348, since I will be looking into buying one within the next couple of years. A few questions I would like to ask are:

One of my biggest questions relates to insurance and maintenence costs for a Ferrari 348 produced in and around 1993 with about 30,000 to 40,000 miles. Does anyone have any information as to where I could find out what the average annual maintenence costs of a car similar to what I described would be?

Secondly, I am planning on using this car as my primary transportation, opting for mass transit when I need to go somewhere that I don't want to bring the car along or perhaps car-pooling with someone else if I need to. Is the 348 something that could be driven as an every-day car, provided maintenence is up to date?

Lastly, if I purchase a Ferrari, but want to change the color, would it be possible for it to be re-painted while still maintaining a quality finish look?
Also, does anybody have any estimates as to how much it would usually cost to re-paint a ferrari?

Additionally, if anyone knows the name of the color in the ferrari picture posted below, please let me know.

I appreciate any feedback that anyone can give me. Thanks,

Alexander

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Can't help you on the insurance question, I have collectors car insurance on my 308 and it is only $200 per year. The 348 may be too new for this type of insurance. Ask your agent.

As for the color, a good body shop should be able to change the color for you and do a good job. Look for one that does a lot of custom paint jobs on hot rods. Plan on about $5k.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Alexander, A well maintained 348 can defintely be used for daily transport. I would budget for $1000-1500 in average maintenance per year plus a large service with cambelt change every 3-4 years. Suggest you take a look at both the Buyers Guides and Owners Manuals in the Members section.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks again for all the information. Sounds a lot more reasonable than I previously thought it would be to own a 348, after doing my own research and getting feedback from you guys. Thanks again,

Alexander

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
the more you use a Ferrari, the less problems it has.

my TR is insured through Hagerty for 700 a year and has full replacement.

changing the color is costly and diminishes the car's value; find one in the desired color. 8)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, when you say that the value will decrease, would that be because it would show up in the records that it was re-painted and raises a quality question mark for a potential buyer or would it decrease value based on the fact that the new paint job would have some flaw in the quality? Basically, I am not worried about spending the extra bucks for a paint job, and if it just decreases the value of the vehicle on records only because of the fact that it was re-painted, I don't have a problem with that since I don't plan on re-selling the Ferrari. However, if the value decreases because of a flaw in the quality in any capacity, then that would be reason not to re-paint the vehicle, since I plan on keeping the car in near-mint condition. So, basically, would re-painting the car have any negative quality impacts other than perhaps being an outlier in the record books?

Alexander

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Alexander,

Welcome to the Forum...If the car was azzurro california and you wanted it red then the color would actualy raise the value because its a color that people want. Never say you will never sell you car...you might want to upgrade to another one.

Im also looking for a 348 and would never, ever buy an other color than red. Now this doesn't mean its not a nice color, its just what people expect in Ferrari's. You might have to lower the price of the car to be able to convince someone to buy it later on. Where I live in Canada, white, yellow and black Ferrari's are almosty impossible to sell. 4 large dealerships here have a few of them in each color (white, black and yellow) and they have been for sale for 2-3 years, the red ones go in a few months. One dealership has a 91 hard top Mondial, with 24 k. Its a Ferrari dealer, they were asking 74K CAN for the last 2 years.....now its 49K there was another one same model hardtop Red with more k's on it and it sold for 70k in less than 2 months that it was posted

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If they sell for less money, you can also buy them for less...But generally the car will decrease in value because it is not original anymore, not because of the quality.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dr. Bob said:
If they sell for less money, you can also buy them for less...But generally the car will decrease in value because it is not original anymore, not because of the quality.
Like Dr Bob said, the less original it is, the less it will be worth (financially or intrinsically to a collector). If you were to re-paint the car the same color in 15 years it would not decrease in value. Same thing goes for anything else on the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts