Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reversing my car one day up a slight slope, I stuck the gear into reverse and depressed the clutch. Instead of reversing, the car rolled an inch forward and came to a halt. At this point the engine is still idling, gear in reverse and my foot off the clutch. When I tried to take the gear out of reverse it did not want to come out and felt as it was stuck. So I turned off the engine and forced the gear out of reverse and into neutral. However the car was still stuck and would not roll down the slope freely which it should being in neutral. A bit annoyed I left the car and came back after afew hours and found it to work fine.

This is the second time this problem has occured and after talking to afew independent garages no one seems to know what the problem is or have ever come across it. Does the clutch need replacing as the biting point is quite high or is it the gearbox.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Did it make any unhealthly noises (ie: crunching/grinding/ringing/etc...) when trying to put the car into gear, or when it rolled forward to a halt?

How does the forward gears feel when driving, do they operate fine/easily, without noises?

It may be the reverse gear (and likely its engagement system), because if the clutch were damaged, it would also cause similar problems in the other gears.

This is my guess, but if its affected by temperature, this damage may be only slight (just enough from the heating/cooling cycles to expand/contract the metal of the gear engagment, making it a go, or no go fit).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peter, thankyou for your views. There were no strange sounds coming from the box when this happened. When driving the forward gears seem fine however they do get harder to change the longer I drive the car on a single journey. The forward gears seem to crunch into gear. But when the car is warmed up abit and I come to a set of traffic lights or junction, it is very hard to get into first and sometimes I have to drive off in 2nd gear. To be honest I wouldn't know if this was characteristic for ferraris as this is the first one that I've owned.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Sounds like multiple problems to me. If the car won't budge, it sounds like it may be in 2 gears at the same time or have a problem with the differential. If this is the case, when you let the clutch out the engine should die. With the drivetrain locked up and the engine idling with the clutch out, sounds like the clutch is bad also. You mentioned that the clutch is biting high, that could just be air in the system, adjustment and fluid replacement may be called for. (that wouldn't cause the drivetrain to lock up though.)

I would think you are going to have to have the tranny/diff torn down and looked at. You mentioned talking to some independant garages, you might try talking to a Ferrari dealer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bargain man. It sounds like it might be shifter misalignment to me. Check the linkage to be sure that it is adjusted correctly and that nothing is loose. JMO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts