Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're going to be garaging any of your cars this winter, you should consider picking up a set of these.

I am organizing a group buy for all F-Chat and F-Forum members and Rennlisters.

Tire Cradles prevent your tires from flatspotting. Perminant flatspotting will ruin the tire.

All information on the products can be found on the website www.TireCradle.com.

MSRP is $344.

I am offering the following:

5-10: $290
10-15: $275
15+: $260

Prices do not include shipping.

If anyone is interested, you can PM, email, or IM me.

Jason-

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Jason,
I checked out the website. To quote some of the info:

"Parking a hot, soft tire on a cool concrete surface accelerates flatspotting because the contact patch is stressed by the temperature and density differences. Basically the tire must "give" because it is softer and hotter than a concrete floor."

The tire cradles work because:
"They keep your tires insulated from the temperatures and pressures that cause flatspotting, regardless of the amount of time a vehicle is parked."

Wouldn't a piece of carpet do the same thing? MSRP- Free.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Just out of curiousity, I sent an email to the company that makes the tire cradle and asked them if they could explain to me why their product is better than a piece of carpet.

I'll post whatever response I get.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Pete04222 said:
Just out of curiousity, I sent an email to the company that makes the tire cradle and asked them if they could explain to me why their product is better than a piece of carpet.

I'll post whatever response I get.
That should be genuinely interesting!!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I got a response back from John at Tire Cradle within 8 hrs of sending my query. I sent him what I wrote above and my questions, I am impressed with his replies:

Question - Wouldn't a piece of carpet do the same thing?

Peter,
No the carpet would insulate if it was a good pile cut remnant but the
tire will still have a flat contact patch. I tried carpet with layers of
insulation; also tried Styrofoam, plywood, conveyor belting and none
worked. Tried old wrestling mats too: no go.

Besides insulation, you have to insure that the contact patch is never
'flat' or even thought the tire cools properly pressure can cause flat
spotting. The radius from center wheel to 12 o'clock or 6 is the same
on the TireCradle; that is, the contact patch is not flat. You should see
the pads after being parked on them for a few days or months, they are
concave in the exact shape of the tire.

>Can you explain to me why your product is better than
>a piece of carpet?

Well, hopefully the above helped a little. I assume you looked at the site and noticed the P/P changes and harmonics that indicate flat spots and their severity. The test that was turned in as part of the laborious patent process is un-edited. Notice the P/P on the tire that was on the TireCradle and the unprotected tire; huge difference.

Carpeted tires usually show about a 7-10 lb P/P difference; much better than nothing but no where near the .2lb with the product. Unprotected the P/P went from 16.0 to 32.2 in four days.

Thank you for intelligent questions, if you chose to discuss any points
feel free to call on the toll free (877) 227-9090. One last point, we
have sold about 2200 sets and two have been returned. One customer objected to the logo on the pad and the other was cut up; hmm, sent them back to VA where they are manufactured and was told it was from a knife. Sent the man a new set with a warning to keep boys with knives away: that's the total returns in three years.

These are guaranteed for life - really.

Regards,

John Potocki (floor sweeper, owner, patent holder & car nut) - formerly
20 years in cardiac physiology.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
It sounds like a pretty good product and John seems like he knows what he's talking about.

Personally, I haven't experienced a problem with tire flatspotting. But again, I rarely drive the car at speeds where the slight flatspotting would be noticeable. At least to me.
For the money, I think I will stick with my carpet.

I don't have a problem with you copying this to other websites.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What seems fishy about the tests:
1. The speeds and time that the tires were tested do not reflect how people usually drive their sports cars. Where besides a track can you drive a car at 90 mph for 45 minutes straight?
2. What was the temperature of the "steel cold plate"? Do most people park on a steel garage floor? Concrete has a different specific heat than steel.
3. For $344 you'd at least think the pads could be heated and then cool as the tire cools.
4. It's hard to believe that such a simple product could be so much better than a piece of carpet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts