Ferrari Life Forum banner

Fulfilling a Life's Dream

5K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  Chrishawk4 
#1 ·
I've be reading many posts over the last few days, and it's been very interesting reading all you views, and how helpful you are to each other.

Being new to all of this, I was mainly reading to see what I've let myself in for, but in truth I should apologise now for my own self indulgence.

I have just fulfilled a life long dream. I have never owned my own car (always had company cars - even when it was my own company), but concurring with a number of other threads, my dream was always to own a Ferrari. Over twenty years ago, I said I always wanted my first car to be a Ferrari. And now that dream is about to come true.

I've looked at 355's, 360's, 430's and 456's. I should say I am married with a young teenager - so there was a constant consideration on having a two seater versus a 4 seater. At one point I gave up, not being able to find what I was looking for, and even tried a few Porsche Turbos, and 911 C4S convertibles, but nothing brought a smile to my face the same as the Ferrari's.

Then I found a 612 HGTS in Mirabeau Blue, cream interior and fell in love with the car. Unfortunately I just could not get the seller to agree the right package - it had been sitting in the Garage for 11 months without a wheel being turned - and wouldn't give it a full service. He had 10 other cars, and money was not an issue to him, only pride. Devestated I once again thought my dream would be put away for another long wait.

I was noted as saying that the only car I wanted more than the 612, was a Black one. On Thursday I was shown a Black 612, on Friday I ordered it.

I realise that some of you feel the 612 does not have the raw beauty of some of the other models, but I have to say that when you sit behind the wheel, how it looks from the outside is a personal taste emotion, and you forget this as you, the wheel and the dash build your relationship.
I think its fantastic.
When you reach out to press the start button and here the engine winding up and the roar of the start - nothing else in the world seems to matter - only you and the car, immersed in your own world. Now thats how I believe your relationship with your Ferrari is suppossed to be. We should thank Enzo and his team for bringing us so many models to choose from to meet our individual tastes over the years.

I will not be getting to drive my 612 for three weeks, while it is shipped across Europe (family commitments mean I can't enjoy the 2100 mile drive home), but I will wait every day with a smile on my face, and counting down the hours until I get to play. The great thing is, I can share this with both my wife and daughter.

For some who will have doubts, the 612 is an immense car, fulfilling so many dreams. I can't wait.

I would ask for comments on the 612 from those who know. This car is ` 2006 European model, with 9000km, and just had its first major service as part of the sale. I want to believe I am about to experience something amazing, but I would also like to know what problems I may be experiencing as this journey begins.

See less See more
#4 ·
JJS612, I have to concur with Stile and Louis - you have really made an effort to instill your passion into your first post. It was a joy to read.

The 612, as you point out, is a Ferrari with only a select following. Personally, I think it is an awesome car. I just can't fall in love with the styling, but you can't argue styling. It is, however, without ANY doubt, one of the best cars that money can buy at this point in time. For people that do not believe that the 612 is not just an old man's car, have a look at this video. It's in Dutch, but in my opinion this guy at least equals Jeremy Clarkson in his videos and the cars he tests are all fantastic. Have a look at his test of the 612. He burns some serious rubber... Not quite what the car was made for, but it proves the point that it's no Jag S-series!

http://www.petrolhead.nl/2006/04/video_test_ferrari_612_scaglietti_f1.php

Onno

#5 ·
Congratulations on the choice. Having owned a Ferrari for about a year, I can assure you that every time I pull it out of the garage, I fall in love with it all over again. And as you so precisely put it, when sitting in the driver's seat, we can't even see the external beauty of it. I don't think you will regret this, and there is no Porsche that compares to this kind of car. A league of its own.
Best of luck (to you and all believers)

#7 ·
Thanks for the comments and confirmation of how it feels to be an owner.

JazzyO, the link was not one I had seen, and great to see a 612 out on the "true" road. Thx.

BTW that was the Blue of the first one I nearly got, and it looks like it had the HGTS/C package on it.

The one I've ordered has a HGTS (without the ceramic brakes) upgrade, making it a drivers car (but aren't they all). At 38, I hope I do not get perceived as an old man, but then again I probably will be too distracted with the car to take much notice.

I can't wait for that feeling, although the stomach is turning over just waiting. I'll attach pics as soon as I take some.

#8 ·
I should apologise now for my own self indulgence.

Please don't make me hurt you...If you apologize, we are all going to have to.

More seriously, Why do you feel that need. Indulgence if the only reason Ferrari's exists. They're Special and need to stay that way. If that makes me a Capitalist pig, then sign me up baby.

#9 ·
Saint Bastage,

The feeling I meant was the one you get immediately on turning the key to start the engine, every time.

The only thing even remotely like this was in a FPA single seater race car on a race track as the lights went out.

#10 ·
Welcome aboard JJS612,
I'm sure you'll find everyone on here very friendly and helpful. We are all keen to hear stories of your experiences with your 612. Enjoy it:)
BTW, at 38 you are not an old man, I'm 40 and don't consider myself to be old, but at a prime age for Ferrari ownership.

#13 ·
Terrifically written 1st post. Ferraris are supposte dot make you feel like a little kid in a toy store every time you slot yourself behind the wheel. Your passion comes though wonderfully.

If there is anyway you can rearrange your schedule so that you can pick it up and drive it home, I would strongly recommend it. It is an excellent way of cementing the relationship between car and driver.

Here is my experience doing so:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/download_pdf.php?type=flq&id=88

#14 ·
Dear Comrade JJS612,

Yours was an exceedingly good post that made for most interesting reading. I am certain that you will enjoy this new acquisition very much indeed. For myself, I have never been in a 612, but I understand that they are immensely powerful and handle quite beautifully. Personally, I do like the styling of the 612. It was never intended to be comparable in looks to the Ferrari sports cars and therefore should be viewed as a wholly separate entity. And as a very high performance luxury car I doubt that there is anythng that can match it.

With kind regards,

Vulcan F-40

#16 ·
To all - thanks for the good wishes and welcomes.

The age thing is a poor attempt at dry humour, I don't think late thirtys is old. But neither is mid or late 60's if watching my dad and a friend racing around the circuit last summer is anything to go by. It was more the point that a 612 is not an old mans car, just a family man wanting to cover all his bases, have his fun and share it. Just think, on a performance basis, I will be able to have three mates enjoying the experience at a time, I've just got to do every sprint and run three times, so they all get a go in the front seat, and they get three go's instead of one (albeit two in the back).

Next Post

#17 ·
Boxer the article was fantastic, what a dream come true.

On your first day of taking ownership of an F40, your embark on a cross Europe adventure. Madness - pure insanity, wonderful, blissful insanity.

I have driven Uk to spain in one run, but in a Range Rover, and 23 hours non stop (did take a few re bulls).

I have promised myself though, after two runs to Lemans in the RR,next time it will be 8-10 days round trip across Spain and France at my leisure (and arriving early to see the parade through town) in a 612.

The bad news, I can't pick up my 612, the good news is she is being shipped on Monday, and will be with me end of next week, before the end of Feb, one week earlier than expected. 10 days to go (not that I'm counting - much).

#18 ·
Update

It has been confirmed that my 612 has been picked up by the transport company, and is now en-route. Hopefull it will be here on Saturday, but I may have to wait until Monday (as the garage is not open on Sunday).

One of the reasons for the wait is that I wanted a tracker fitted, as we believed it didn't have one. The insurance company strangley did not request it, but I wanted one anyway.

I have been informed now that actually it has a French tracker system (car originally registered in France). While I don't have a model number or Manufacturer yet, does any one know if this is likely to be cross border compatible.

#21 ·
Congratulations from Denmark :)

It must have been hard to sleep knowing that your car was on its way to you.
Enjoy it very much. ;)

I have just registred my 348 TS here in Denmark on wedensday so I know how you must feel - and I can agree with all the other guys (and girls) out there that it is a great feeling to drive your own Ferrari - a dream come through for most of us I would think.

#22 ·
She's Finally Here

OK, so it was 4 days later than expected, and I was almost exhausted from the anticipation being dragged on - BUT WOW.

I got the call confirming she was ready today. I got a lift with my wife to the garage. In her words, she was pleased I was finally getting a ferrari, she expected a car that went from A to B a bit faster, and expected it to be fun. Then she was introduced to the starter motor, and 612 V12's HGTS exhaust note - AWESOME. She is totally sold, she never realised until now why I've always dreamed of ownership.OK she was happy I fulfilled my dream, but it was almost like I was getting a mistress. Today she spent every one of our 100 miles smiling and laughing.

The first time I started the 612 to come out of the garage, every nerve in my body was tingling. Don't stall, don't hit anything, stop smiling so much - so many things to take in. The car - whatever anyone has said - is beautiful. Sitting behind the wheel, the car seems smaller (than my Range Rover at least) - the bonnet deceptively falls away, the wings rise ahead of you left and right. You are reminded of the width by the rear side mirrors, but it is reasurring that those rear panels hide huge huge rear tyres.

Slowly pulling out, and I make my first mistake - I press the paddles in a sequence I can't remember - other than to say I saw Clarkson do the same in a 599 - and the Transmission failure lights come on and its ready for a race start sequence - I haven't even moved yet. Heart racing.

Selected first and away we went slowly at first, gliding effortlessly through the town, around a few roundabouts, and then down onto the coast road. The car was trully effortless in automatic mode, (so light on the steering even at low speeds), but helped my get accustomed to my environment. Then out to dual carriage way, and oh joy of joys, my first tunnel. The Sports exhaust on the V12 is one of the most awesome sounds. Shifting down to third at 4000 revs, upto 6800 and into fourth - so good I had to do it four times during the day.

Went up about 10 miles into the hills behind the coast, dual carriageway and smooth winding (sweeping roads) to help me get a feel - nothing crazy, just selected manual and got used to a few bursts and a few braking tests - bliss.

Picked my Daughter up from school, school kids love Ferrari's - don't know if it will make her any more friends though!!. She sat in the back and didn't even ask for the stereo to be turned on - she just wanted to see if she could scream with excitment louder than the exhaust note - the car still won.

Its been like having a driving/track day at JPM Bedford autodrome - without the bruises - but still the mental exhaustion. The excitement, the pleasure, the joy of owning and driving a Ferrari V12 612. 100 of the best miles of my life, and hopefully the start of many more.

For those of you who have actually read of this, thanks for your support. I hope it helps all of us remember how and why Enzo Ferrari and his cars are world renowned. I know not every one supports a 612, but I truelly believe, if you had the opportunity, you would realise that in this car, beats a true Ferrari heart (and mine too - very quickly).

I'll post a few pics later - I'm still recovering from one of the best days of my life, and I shared it with the two most important people in the world to me.

Now thats want a Ferrari 612 Scalietti is supposed to do.

#28 ·
Will hope to post some pics soon, but I need to have the 612 cleaned down and detailed as I couldn't help myself and managed another 100 miles today, just running errands like the bank, architect, Local Ferrari service centre for some user manuals in English. Not a cough all day.

Now the wife wants one too. After being along side a Maserati Gran Tourismo (which she nearly had me order last week - thinking it would be less of a handful) she had admitted that the 612 sound, looks, feels better in every respect. Opens up options for the next car though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.