Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am after thoughts on what would be the best fuel to use in a 1980 308 gts. I have spoken to Shell and they advised V power high octane fuel (which I believe has the highest octane rating of 100 in Australia). They weren't too sure about if I should use any lead additives. I have read somewhere that additives may not be required in the Ferrari as they have harder valves. Any thoughts?
Regards
Argento308

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stay away from V Power

I have a 355 and put V power in it. It started backfiring and was really bad. I was at the track on Eastern creek and there were flames coming out of the exhaust and lots of rumbling and banging from the exhaust. I burnt out all the fuel then was advised to put Mobil Synergy in it. Since that day the car runs fantsastic and no more backfiring etc.

So get rid of the V power and go for Mobil it is far better fuel for your 308

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 355Aussie, I'll give that a go (I'm glad I asked before using it!).
I don't suppose you would have a contact for someone in the Ferrari Club of Australia (FCA) as I would like to join but I haven't been able to download the membership aplication form from the website. I'm located in NSW (Hunter Valley).
Regards
Argento308

·
Registered
54 Posts
V power is indeed rated at 100 octane (also in Europe)

I'm putting in 98, as indicated in the user manual of the 308GT4. Still wondering if 95 would work well too. After all, these are small bore cylinders with a compression ratio that is not overly high. Why would a 1.5 liter, 4 cylinder toyota get away with 95 on a c/r of 10.5:1 and would a 3.0 liter 8 cylinder Ferrari need 98 on a c/r of 8.8:1??

As for the lead, I'd be interested in that question too. I am now throwing in lead replacement at each fill-up. Would be nice not to need that...

Thanks

Hans

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Since the 308 is a low(ish) compression and the way the Maranelli/Boch K-Jet system does things, here in the USA 91 is fine, with 94 being ok. i find Mobil to be very good, and Irving (small Canadian company with New England locations) to also be good. Save your money, higher octane will do you no good. The engine management system can not adapt to the higher octane by adjusting the ignition curve (retard the ignition spark). If you have installed an aftermarket system such as an Electromotive then you can adjust the timing curve accordingly. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts